Battle for Azeroth Story Thread (Spoilers within)

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Battle for Azeroth Story Thread (Spoilers within)

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Just ran through the scenario myself.

The Siege of Undercity happens very soon after the Burning of Teldrassil. Genn notes Sylvanas has had little time to prepare for the assault.

When the PC arrives, the Alliance has carved a war path from the northern shores of Tirisful to the front gates of UC. Brill has been reduced to rubble and is now the Alliance forward camp.

Genn gives a rallying speech then leads the second wave of Alliance forces to the front of UC. Alliance siege towers are quickly approaching the walls. You kill Horde forces until a completion bar has reached 100%.

When you have killed enough Horde soldiers, an Azerite War Machine (which is a siege tank) is sent out to fight the Alliance and destroy the remaining siege towers. Once that is destroyed, Sylvanas starts reanimating both Horde and Alliance soldiers as skeletons (Tauren, Orcs, Goblins, Dwarves, and Humans. Since they are skeletons, no free will) and deploys the Blight. The Alliance forces gradually retreat back whilst fighting off the skeletons and saving wounded soldiers.

The Blight pushes the Alliance all the way back to the Ruins of Brill. Once there, a cinematic plays (uses a DS cinematic as a placeholder) which involves Jaina arriving and doing something to allow the Alliance to push into UC.

Once inside, you work with Jaina, Genn, and Anduin plus the surviving Alliance forces to fight through the remaining Horde forces and to find Sylvanas. You fight through a group of Darkspear trolls being lead by a Darkspear shaman.

The Alliance then enters a large clearing filled with Forsaken and abominations. There are way too many of them and Jaina (if I recall correctly) believes that it might be wise to retreat. Anduin says that if they run that they will become the prey. If they are to die, then they will die fighting for their beliefs. As the Forsaken begin marching forward, a large Void portal opens. The VEs, led by Alleria, and the Gnomes, led by Mekkatorque, pour out and allow the Alliance to cut through the Forsaken with Spider Tanks.

The Alliance then uses Gyrocopters to reach the main courtyard and fight Saurfang. Once defeated, another cinematic plays (which uses a placeholder cinematic) and Saurfang is taken away as a prisoner. We are then meant to enter UC to capture Sylvanas, but the scenario is only complete up to that point.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Just finished the Horde scenario

The Horde starts in the Magic Quarter of the Undercity. You help evacuate civilians and kill SI:7 rogues. The Horde then moves to the area between the Magic Quarter and the Rogues' Quarter where Forsaken soldiers have Renzik "the Shiv" and SI:7 agents surrounded. Renzik remarks that they have the intel and need to get away. He whistles and a group of Druids of the Claw jump down from above and attack the Horde, allowing Renzik and the SI:7 agents to escape.

The Horde then progresses to the center of Undercity, killing Druids of the Claw and evacuating more civilians. Once that is done, you take a portal up to the surface.

The Horde defends the Azerite War Machine whilst it destroys the Alliance's remaining siege towers. After three waves of Alliance soldiers, they finally overwhelm the siege tank and destroy it. A cinematic plays (which currently has a placeholder) and the Horde is then at the front gates of UC with a sea of Blight between them and the Alliance. Apparently, Tauren are perfectly fine with the Blight, since some of the Sludge Guards (those that spread the Blight) are Tauren :/

Anyways, you can either put on a Blight-resistant mask and fight Alliance or you can equip a Blight spreader to use on the Alliance. After you full an objective bar, Jaina arrives and pushes the Horde back into UC.

The Horde then follows Nathanos and Baine to meet up with Lor'themar in order to regroup and prepare for the Alliance's arrival. Words are exchanged between the Horde and Alliance, then the VEs and Gnomes show up, which allows the Alliance to break through the Horde.

Sylvanas calls a retreat back to the center of UC. There you find Saurfang who remarks that what Sylvanas is doing is without honor. She remarks that Saurfang's view of honor is foolish. That if he perishes that she will reanimate him, then says that he may be seeing his dead son soon. She and the Horde then leave Saurfang and retreat into the old throne room, which is where the scenario currently ends.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Just a quick question with there be an option like with Sithilus to go back in time? Cus I liked Brill ;-;
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

As of right now, no, and if Blizz sticks with what they said in an interview after Blizzcon, they won't be adding an option to go back in time.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Well that just right ole sucks a bunch of bananas.

I'm good to assume it's the same with the Alliance parts right? That's a shame.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

According to Blizz, yes, though the events and whatnot for the Burning of Teldrassil aren't testable yet.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Valnaaros wrote:As of right now, no, and if Blizz sticks with what they said in an interview after Blizzcon, they won't be adding an option to go back in time.
If Ion said it, then it hasn't been decided yet. That's the kind of thing he declares before they've made a final decision. When it comes time to code holiday stuff, they may just plop down some bronze dragonflight npcs instead of having two versions of the holiday quests that go into those areas.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

He did say it, yes, but others have also said it, as well. I think there were a couple of interviews in which different people said the same thing. The interview with Ion was just the first to come to mind.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

So as sure as they were about not flying in Draenor. Got it. Thanks for correcting me.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I didn't say that they can't or won't change their minds. What I am saying is that the last time anyone at Blizz said anything concerning this is that we won't be able to use the Bronze Dragonflight to phase UC and Teldrassil. Nothing else has been said or shown to the contrary, so for now it is expected that we won't be able to.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Some interesting lore developments in this build.

Taelia, whom helps the Alliance fight Lady Ashvane in Tiragarde Sound, is Bolvar's daughter.

Katherine Proudmoore almost steps down and allows Lady Ashvane to take up the position of Lord Admirable, but instead gives it to Jaina after we prove that Lady Ashvane has been striving to remove Katherine.

Vol'jin's ashes are laid to rest in Atal'dazar.

Garona, for some reason, seems intent on killing Anduin (despite lore as recent as Legion stating that she immensely regrets killing Lllane and is haunted by it. "I caused the downfall of one king. Perhaps it is time I ended the reign of another."

We work with Shandris in Ashenvale and Darkshore to repel the Horde.

Going by the flavor text of the new Hippogryph mount, there wasn't much time for civilians to evacuate Teldrassil before it burned.

Jaina somehow is lost in Thros, which is the realm that the spirits of the Drust live in. She is haunted by her failures by Daelin and, possibly, Varian.

Lilian Voss allows a dying Tidesage to become a Forsaken. He wished to become one so that he could continue to protect his wife and children. However, after becoming Forsaken, his family is horrified of him and demands that he leaves them alone.

Goblins of the Venture Co. attack Shadowforge during the Dark Iron intro scenario. They steal Ironfoe (which is part of the reason why the Alliance goes to Kezan) and split the Black Anvil. It is later repaired with Azerite.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

After the Horde attacked and captured Astrannar, they rounded up the civilians and poured Blight on them. Picture here
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

It's getting harder and harder to stay completely in favour of the Horde with the increasingly gruesome things that are being added. I love the Horde and am a big Sylvanas fan. She was morally ambiguous in the past and so one of those characters you could really dig into the lore of, and seemed like she did have the interest of the Horde in mind. Now that a lot of that has been retconned so that she's no longer just morally ambiguous and instead is shaping up to be even more of a monster than Garrosh (don't quote me on that, but Garrosh never poured blight onto prisoners of war), it's harder to justify why I like Sylvanas without feeling like I'm a bad person as a result. I'd rather not feel guilty about the faction I play, thank you Blizzard.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I don't do faction pride roleplay, but yeah; Sylvanas really turned the Horde into trash. Belittles the last honorable major character, doesn't care about the core Horde races that GRACIOUSLY let her rotting carcass in, and is clearly an antagonist by every right. There's nothing good about the dead elf, and the only fx is for her to become a corpse again. The Horde has nobody worth mentioning anymore outside of Sylvanas and Saurfang, and the latter would rather sit in a cell and be treated as a high value soldier than a plaything for Sylvanas. Baine is a cheap and bland replacement for Cairne, Lor'themar never does anything, Gallywix doesn't care at all about the Horde, and there's not even a proper leader for the other horde races.

How does the Horde even exist at this point?
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

WerebearGuy wrote:Lor'themar never does anything

How does the Horde even exist at this point?
I main as Alliance but really disagree here. After doing the Pandaria questlines that focus on him - Lor'themar is actually a damn good leader and has both the horde and his peoples interests at heart. He pretty much stopped Jaina from going all out at Thunder Isle. I think the Horde would do well with him as leader and Baine as his second.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

There's not a lot of info yet besides a mention but in the latest datamined build we've learned that Sylvanas may be recruiting San'layn into the horde, or trying to!!!
"Rokhan: Sylvanas wants ta give 'em a chance. Dey got no home left. If dey can work with us, den dey got a home with da Horde. If not, dey be gone."
All I can say is I'M TRYING TO CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT but I wonder if this might be a hint or a lead-in to some sort of undead elves as the next allied race, which is all I want. :D :D :D *crossing fingers*
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Possibly. Talanji expresses distrust of them, and Dreven (the Blood Prince) doesn't seem happy with following Talanji's orders. Though Sylvanas recruiting a dark group like the San'layn reminds me of how Garrosh pardoned and recruited the Blackrocks.

Sylvanas also kills Genn Greymane's wife, Mia.

"I... errr... arrggg... The Banshee Queen took my son. She took my kingdom. She is not taking my wife!
Mia... MIA! Open your eyes, my Queen... my love!"

Blizz decided to address how Horde Druid's would view all of this. Sylvanas or someone else creates a lie in order to make them feel ok about attacking the Ancients and Nature

"I see that your are uneasy about this, $n. These ancients are being turned against even your kind, druid -- against their very purpose on this world."

Malfurion is now determined to see Sylvanas' downfall

"This is a dark and bitter day.
My whole life, I have sought peace for this world. But that dream can never be achieved as long as Sylvanas Windrunner leads the Horde.
I thank you for your courage and great heart, Champion. For all you have done for the Alliance.
And I will tell you this. Sylvanas thinks to break us with this atrocity.
She is wrong. And she will fall."
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Vephriel wrote:There's not a lot of info yet besides a mention but in the latest datamined build we've learned that Sylvanas may be recruiting San'layn into the horde, or trying to!!!
"Rokhan: Sylvanas wants ta give 'em a chance. Dey got no home left. If dey can work with us, den dey got a home with da Horde. If not, dey be gone."
All I can say is I'M TRYING TO CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT but I wonder if this might be a hint or a lead-in to some sort of undead elves as the next allied race, which is all I want. :D :D :D *crossing fingers*

Hmmm that's interesting. I'm sure they would like some free will.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Valnaaros wrote:
Sylvanas also kills Genn Greymane's wife, Mia.

"I... errr... arrggg... The Banshee Queen took my son. She took my kingdom. She is not taking my wife!
Mia... MIA! Open your eyes, my Queen... my love!"
Poor Genn...but atleast this will shut up all the comments about "He's angry for no reason/just wants revenge/no good for the alliance" idiots I see in other groups. If anyone has a reason to want to kick banshee butt it's him...and so should all the alliance. For Gilneas!!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

No kidding, Castile. It surprises me how there are still people that are defending Sylvanas after all of this. This is just another reason for the Alliance to want to fight the Horde and kill Sylvanas, and the Horde still doesn't have any reasons to want to fight the Alliance (I wish there were reasons).