Battle for Azeroth Allied Races Thread

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Battle for Azeroth Allied Races Thread

Unread post by Valnaaros »

That is true, but the Alliance has never faced it as badly as the Horde. If Kul Tirans keep their current height, we too shall suffer with you :(
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I find it funny the they are called "Allied Races" when only 2 of the 4 so far are actually different races. :| :mrgreen:

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Rawr wrote:I find it funny the they are called "Allied Races" when only 2 of the 4 so far are actually different races. :| :mrgreen:

Well a race can also mean from a different country. Like say Chinese and French or Kul Tirans and people from Stormwind for example.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

cowmuflage wrote:
Rawr wrote:I find it funny the they are called "Allied Races" when only 2 of the 4 so far are actually different races. :| :mrgreen:

Well a race can also mean from a different country. Like say Chinese and French or Kul Tirans and people from Stormwind for example.
I'm not sure what you are talking about I was talking about the VEs and LFDs. VEs (if you've done the quests for them) are just BEs that have been void tainted, they have the same art, culture, look (not the the VEs themselves but their overall look), ect. There really not separate from BEs except for the void/banishment part. NBs vs NEs you can see a really difference. I did the LFD and that was just weird, but they just seem the same as normal Space Goats. HMT vs. Tauren, HMT have branched off for long enough to be their own thing. I think the biggest factor here is time. :mrgreen:

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Rawr wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:

I'm not sure what you are talking about I was talking about the VEs and LFDs. VEs (if you've done the quests for them) are just BEs that have been void tainted, they have the same art, culture, look (not the the VEs themselves but their overall look), ect. There really not separate from BEs except for the void/banishment part. NBs vs NEs you can see a really difference. I did the LFD and that was just weird, but they just seem the same as normal Space Goats. HMT vs. Tauren, HMT have branched off for long enough to be their own thing. I think the biggest factor here is time. :mrgreen:
I'd consider them a new race now.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Rawr wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:

Ya, it seems like there's something missing with VE and LFD. Graphically, CE are pretty cool, but until we got to argus, there weren't any VE at all (unless you count shadow priest blood elves). Then there was one, and now we have an allied race out of nowhere. Meanwhile, players have been asking for high elves (think silver covenant) since the early days of the game, but one of the excuses was that there were too few of them. But you just double the amount of emo for a blood elf, and they are an allied race. Alleria is still pink colored, there should be some way to put some blush on VE, blizz doesn't have to worry about HE.

LFD are also an allied race out of nowhere, most of the graphical stuff could have just been new customization for Draenei. They're just a group of Draenei who are apparently extra holy, but they didn't do anything when their Naaru got blown up. I would have preferred the Broken as an allied race, they look different, they feel different. Even though we're dealing with a new faction of them, they've been in warcraft a long time. Longer than the unbroken form of Draenei. Plus, we could finally make Broken shaman, which is the explanation for Draenei having shaman in the first place.

The HMT, I think people have been wanting since a Tauren druid first put on the Moose antler hood from Onyxia. They're visually distinctive and lorewise distinctive. I think it's the same with the DrowNB, there's been players who wanted them since forever. There were night elves named variations of Drizzt way back in the day. And their visually and lorewise distinctive from the other elves.

I do like the way DID are looking, and the KTH. But as far as the Legion allied races, it feels like the alliances were both a let down in one way or another.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I can understand fully why they did not do High elves. They would be far too similar to to Blood elves in colour scheme. So yeah i'd agree maybe make a lighter skin tone for Void elves (maybe keeping it purpleish still) would be a good idea, just make it not too close to Blood elves.
Rozzana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shattered Hand, Elune

Unread post by Rozzana »

I think a concern for pink VEs is that then they're just BEs with special attack animations/visuals (like when ppl want the form to activate in combat only or etc). By making them all blue/purple, it makes them more distinct and allows all their customization options to fit the linear narrative of their origin.
But if VEs were pink again, I think Blizz would make it like the green fire questline. Not something difficult or etc, but a meaningful experience to make players feel a little extra cool about the option. Since it implies they have mastered the void to an extent like Alleria.

I kinda hope they do something similar to this with the gold eyes for BEs. I'd rather they not be restricted to three or so faces in the customization tab.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The VEs can't look like Alleria, let alone a normal elf, due to their Void corruption. Alleria was able to master it and was never overwhelmed by it. The Ethereals imbued/corrupted Umbric and his elves with the Void, which is why they look different from Alleria and are unable to turn into normal elves. It has become one with them, much like how Fel energy has become one with Demon Hunters.

Besides, there are both BEs and HEs seen in the Telogrus Rift, which implies that more VEs are being made/converted.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

A little off topic, but there's a dark ranger skin on the dressing room for Blood Elves. There's also high elven options as well but-- Dark rangers.

Not going to jump to conclusions, of course, but it might be nice as a preview for those who, like me, are keeping fingers crossed for forsaken elves to be a thing and want to know what their character would look like.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Rozzana wrote:I think a concern for pink VEs is that then they're just BEs with special attack animations/visuals (like when ppl want the form to activate in combat only or etc). By making them all blue/purple, it makes them more distinct and allows all their customization options to fit the linear narrative of their origin.
But if VEs were pink again, I think Blizz would make it like the green fire questline. Not something difficult or etc, but a meaningful experience to make players feel a little extra cool about the option. Since it implies they have mastered the void to an extent like Alleria.

I kinda hope they do something similar to this with the gold eyes for BEs. I'd rather they not be restricted to three or so faces in the customization tab.
I like that idea. Heck, it could even work like the worgen, where it toggles of your "under control" looks when you go into combat or use a racial ability. It would add to the alliance feel of "superficially the 'good guys', but nasty under the surface."
I definitely get not having them have an option at the character creation screen.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Krysteena wrote:A little off topic, but there's a dark ranger skin on the dressing room for Blood Elves. There's also high elven options as well but-- Dark rangers.

Not going to jump to conclusions, of course, but it might be nice as a preview for those who, like me, are keeping fingers crossed for forsaken elves to be a thing and want to know what their character would look like.
I'd like to get excited about this, but I'm fairly certain those skins have been there for a while now, the dressing room has always had the NPC-only skins and customizations built in.

Still hoping for dark rangers though. T-T I've yet to see any mentions of these supposed 'leaks' where they were mentioned, and none of my friends who follow leaks remember seeing that either.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

They are just buried so deep in the Xpac speculation thread on mmo-c. I went through there myself recently and just gave up after a while due to how many pages there are in that thread, but I do recall reading it ~ a week before Blizzcon on Mmo-C and on SoL.
Vephriel

Valnaaros wrote:They are just buried so deep in the Xpac speculation thread on mmo-c. I went through there myself recently and just gave up after a while due to how many pages there are in that thread, but I do recall reading it ~ a week before Blizzcon on Mmo-C and on SoL.
It just seems strange that I haven't heard of it or seen it since I'd been keeping my eyes peeled especially for mentions of dark rangers, one of my friends is a moderator on MMO-C and they follow all that stuff very closely, and they had no memory of it either.

It's not a big deal, I'm still going to hope for them either way, I'm just trying not to get my hopes up too much.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I did the latest pvp map today and a NPC complains that we "Don't have any Dark rangers in our ranks". I'm sure it's nothing but ya never know :3
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Went searching through the SoL Legion thread and found the supposed leak. Can view it here :)
Vephriel

Valnaaros wrote:Went searching through the SoL Legion thread and found the supposed leak. Can view it here :)
Thanks for finding that, the curiosity had been eating at me. It's a little...hmm, not sure how well it holds up, but if we continue with the current trend of each core race getting an affiliated or similar allied race, the elves seem like the best choice for an undead alternative.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

You bet :) Could be true or not. Hard to say. If it is anything like the riddle leaked before Legion, then it holds truth. But we shall see.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Vephriel wrote: I'd like to get excited about this, but I'm fairly certain those skins have been there for a while now, the dressing room has always had the NPC-only skins and customizations built in.
That probably explains why I couldn't find the golden eye variant, which was what I was initially looking for. I had the npc-specific box ticked, even though I don't remember doing that :lol: a shame, but I'll keep my fingers crossed regardless :')
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Mag'har Racials

Open Skies - Increases mounted speed by 2%.

Sympathetic Vigor - Increases pet health by 1%.

Pure Blood - Reduces the duration of Poisons, Diseases, and Curses by 1%.