Battle for Azeroth Old World Creature model updates

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Re: Battle for Azeroth Old World Creature model updates

Unread post by Inay »

I have a problem with the color they choose for the White Wind Serpent and the Dark Blue. =/ This is not white at all, if one asked me, I would have guessed "tan" or "beige", it have nothing to do with the original model and it's a problem. The Dark blue, same, it could use a bit more saturation in the colors.

For the hyenas, I love the white, black and brown ones! The three others could use a bit more nuance in there colors, like the original model, rather than an uniform vivid red/yellow/pink all other.

On the barbed spiders, I love them as a new model, but the old one have aged well and we could have keep it, I think.

In general: Mostly good! Some models need to allow themselves to use intensity! You're allowed to use a darker black (like, don't use true black, but you can go darker than that on the black widow for example!)
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

WoWhead now has the new models up on their site, so you can go to the hunter pets section and check the models out on your own. They still show the old icons, but once you click on them, they load the new ones.

I also loaded up the new beetle model in the beetle section. It seems to replace that specific colors, but there are no other colorations (yet?), so that weirds me out a bit. I'd have to ask Stiven about that, maybe.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Probably more to be added. With Betas and PTRs, most models will come with the first build, with the remaining in the next few builds after :)
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Valnaaros wrote:Probably more to be added. With Betas and PTRs, most models will come with the first build, with the remaining in the next few builds after :)
Yeah. Just wondring if it's Blizzard-side, or if WoWhead/Stiven hasn't really applied the other colorations.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Could really swing either way. Wowhead has gradually been adding more and more models to their website, so they may just not have found them or uploaded them yet.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Valnaaros wrote:Could really swing either way. Wowhead has gradually been adding more and more models to their website, so they may just not have found them or uploaded them yet.
Yeah. They're the only ones who've even gotten the beetle model yet. As I said, I might hit up Stiven to see.

Ink Dragon
Realm: icecrown, wyrmrest accord

Unread post by Ink Dragon »

Vephriel wrote:Guh, again with Blizzard's new artwork being allergic to black. T_T It's been a problem since Wrath-era and beyond I feel...and it's such a shame. :( I guess it's supposed to be more 'realistic' but there are some models that would look so much better with that high contrast.
eh it's less blizz being allergic to black and more a general art thing where using such a dark/solid black ends up being a big no-no. It's thought that it's pain in the tail to shade or that it's ugly/bad style wise. Current trend is to not shade or color with black/white even when something should be glossy.

Case in point, the spiders to me look dead on like someone ripped a shading tutorial off tumblr and used that to color them with.

So basically you end up with spiders that look more blue/purple rather then black. Which is really ugly... A swap to red/brown/orange highlights would be better and give them a more natural look while still keeping them with the current style.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

Sooooooooooo many updated models, and they're all so very needed. I love it all, can't wait to see them running around with me :ugeek: :ugeek: :headbang: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Kayb wrote:Sooooooooooo many updated models, and they're all so very needed. I love it all, can't wait to see them running around with me :ugeek: :ugeek: :headbang: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Same here! These new models have been needed for a long time and, whilst the colors don't work for all of the models, they are still beautiful models. I am quite grateful that Blizz has taken their time to make all of these :)
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I love the new updated barbed spider but I do hope they keep their signature scream. AND I LOVE THE LAVA TARANTULA; it will be one of my Dark Iron main pet <3
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

There's at least one other hyena variant, which happens to be less vibrant, more "realistic", and my personal favorite of the bunch.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I saw that variant, and it is a beautiful one. Not as vibrant, which is a good thing in this case. I think Qraljar forgot to put it in or missed it, but Wain should be compiling a list of all possible tamable beasts :)
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

For this thread, I only went for the list of old world looks that would be turned into new models, and what they'd look like after their makeover.

This particular skin of Hyena, while beautiful and probably my favorite out of the bunch, is not currently being used by old world hyenas. It will probably debut in Vol'dun.

When I was busy with this list, I also really couldn't add it, since I didn't have access to all the skins, just the updated old ones that I could view with the model viewer. :lol:

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I was going to come back to WoW after being gone going on a year but. TO ME Blizzard ruined my favorite beast in the game. Hyenas. Odd woman out again but the back of the hyenas is just awful. Hunch back of Notre Dame much! I don't understand why Blizzard feels certain beasts need to appear like the have some sort if spinal disorder.

I do love all the other models. I also share that I hope some of the colors are adjusted to a more correct version.

What I am super curious of is if the new cobra models on MMO Champion are replacing the old. Because while not as vibrant. Yes please

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

zedxrgal wrote:I was going to come back to WoW after being gone going on a year but. TO ME Blizzard ruined my favorite beast in the game. Hyenas. Odd woman out again but the back of the hyenas is just awful. Hunch back of Notre Dame much! I don't understand why Blizzard feels certain beasts need to appear like the have some sort if spinal disorder.

I do love all the other models. I also share that I hope some of the colors are adjusted to a more correct version.

What I am super curious of is if the new cobra models on MMO Champion are replacing the old. Because while not as vibrant. Yes please
Nah. These cobras seem like they're completely new models that will probably only appear in BfA content and beyond. Maybe they'll add a stray rare for hunters to tame in old zones, though. I always like when they do that.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Whilst the Hyenas and Cobras aren't like they are IRL, they really don't have to be. Cobras do not have rattles IRL, yet these ones do. Hyenas' backs aren't very hunched, yet the WoW ones do. Being a fantasy universe, WoW does not need to be the same as RL.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Valnaaros wrote:Whilst the Hyenas and Cobras aren't like they are IRL, they really don't have to be. Cobras do not have rattles IRL, yet these ones do. Hyenas' backs aren't very hunched, yet the WoW ones do. Being a fantasy universe, WoW does not need to be the same as RL.
I think the hunch for the hyenas is just really a caricaturized way for them to portray them, which - in my opinion, fits WoW.

But I understand that there are people that don't like it.

Personally speaking, though, the new model has made me want to tame a hyena.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Hi. I've just spent all day and all night datamining the skin files for the new models. I still have more to go but it's nearly 5 am and I need to sleep. At this rate it may be a couple more days before I get pics up, so thank you to those who are posting stuff from external sites, it's been great :)

The main issue is there are no published file names for the skins, so i have to guess at them and see if they're correct. I have most but not all. I know I also found a bunch of colours of things that weren't up on the major sites, but that was many hours ago and maybe they caught up. the number of frogs alone is awesome and insane :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Wain wrote:Hi. I've just spent all day and all night datamining the skin files for the new models. I still have more to go but it's nearly 5 am and I need to sleep. At this rate it may be a couple more days before I get pics up, so thank you to those who are posting stuff from external sites, it's been great :)

The main issue is there are no published file names for the skins, so i have to guess at them and see if they're correct. I have most but not all. I know I also found a bunch of colours of things that weren't up on the major sites, but that was many hours ago and maybe they caught up. the number of frogs alone is awesome and insane :)
Yeah, do get your rest. Good job at getting them working to begin with!

So at this point, there's nothing the external sites have missed, I'm presuming?

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

No rush, Wain! We all appreciate the time and work you're putting forward into making a composition of these models :D