Battle for Azeroth Old World Creature model updates

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Re: Battle for Azeroth Old World Creature model updates

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Valnaaros wrote:Whilst the Hyenas and Cobras aren't like they are IRL, they really don't have to be. Cobras do not have rattles IRL, yet these ones do. Hyenas' backs aren't very hunched, yet the WoW ones do. Being a fantasy universe, WoW does not need to be the same as RL.
I never said it had to match real life. :) Just take the hump down a little bit. Yes I'm aware of what real life cobras look like. :lol: I've owned them. That doesn't seem to bug me as much for some reason as a hyena that thinks it's a camel. I think a hump should be kept! Just not that tall. But that's my opinion.

Speaking of rattle-cobras. I totally did not notice the rattle till it was mentioned. :oops: :lol: But for some reason it's not as off putting as hyena camel.
Qraljar wrote:Nah. These cobras seem like they're completely new models that will probably only appear in BfA content and beyond. Maybe they'll add a stray rare for hunters to tame in old zones, though. I always like when they do that.
Yeah good point. Just like these raptor models:

And holy crap Wain!!! You're amazing! Thanks for your hard work.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Everywhere

Unread post by SlickrockGhost »

zedxrgal wrote:But for some reason it's not as off putting as hyena camel.
Hump doesn't bother me at all, for 2 reasons: First, it works well with the mount version of the hyena. Second, while it is exaggerated to be sure, The exaggerated features can work better in-game than normal features. We don't play the game staring at the model viewer after all (well, most of us anyway... :-)

It's kind of the thing with stage makeup vs RL makeup. You need the stage makeup to stand out in film/tv/stage, and I think some of the exaggerated features work better when we are actually using these models in game.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

To me, they kinda Lion King-ified Hyenas. :lol:
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Everywhere

Unread post by SlickrockGhost »

Qraljar wrote:To me, they kinda Lion King-ified Hyenas. :lol:
True. ;)

What I do wish they'd spend more time on with some of the pets is the above-from-the-back view, which we spend most of the time in game looking at.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Qraljar wrote:To me, they kinda Lion King-ified Hyenas. :lol:
That's true! Though I really don't mind these new models. Before them, I never considered taming a Hyena. But now I probably will :) I know that they aren't to everyone's taste but, honestly, Blizz can't please everyone. Hopefully Blizz will rework some of the colors to be more like the originals (which seems to be what the majority of people are unhappy with), and maybe some tweaks to the physical features of some :)
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I have to admit I can't like the new cobras. Other than the scales, nothing about them is right. They're stumpy, the hoods look floppy and tacked on and they have huge rattles that take up 1/3 of their tails. Cobras should not even have rattles in the first place, and a rattlesnake, which is the only snake that has business with a rattle, has a small rattle relative to body size. I...actually really hate the cobras. I feel bad because obviously someone worked hard on them. But I'm not convinced that someone has ever seen a snake.
Lee
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Moonguard | Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Lee »

Gosh, it’s looking like my gnome hunter’s entire roster of pets is going to get a graphics upgrade come BfA! I love those new crabs.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Teigan wrote:I have to admit I can't like the new cobras. Other than the scales, nothing about them is right. They're stumpy, the hoods look floppy and tacked on and they have huge rattles that take up 1/3 of their tails. Cobras should not even have rattles in the first place, and a rattlesnake, which is the only snake that has business with a rattle, has a small rattle relative to body size. I...actually really hate the cobras. I feel bad because obviously someone worked hard on them. But I'm not convinced that someone has ever seen a snake.
I agree they could alter the hoods a bit, but in regards to rattles, these aren't RL cobras. Vultures do not have long rat tails IRL. Wolves do not have long tusks. Boars do not have bone spikes sticking out all over their bodies.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Lee wrote:Gosh, it’s looking like my gnome hunter’s entire roster of pets is going to get a graphics upgrade come BfA! I love those new crabs.
Been a fan of hermit crabs, I'll definately be taming one if they're made tamable, which I'm sure they will be :)
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Teigan wrote:I have to admit I can't like the new cobras. Other than the scales, nothing about them is right. They're stumpy, the hoods look floppy and tacked on and they have huge rattles that take up 1/3 of their tails. Cobras should not even have rattles in the first place, and a rattlesnake, which is the only snake that has business with a rattle, has a small rattle relative to body size. I...actually really hate the cobras. I feel bad because obviously someone worked hard on them. But I'm not convinced that someone has ever seen a snake.
I'm feeling equally torn about them. I probably already mentioned it in an earlier thread, but the main thing that bothers me is that the heads are so large it puts them out of proportion to the rest of the body. That along with the rattle (which is another facepalm but, I could deal with it in the name of 'fantasy') serves to shorten the body and make them look far too stubby for a snake. ><

They have a fairly nice overall appearance, I like the details in the scales and the face shapes are good. I'm sure they'll look better in game, I just wish they'd downsized the heads a bit.
Slayer1737
Realm: Silvermoon

Unread post by Slayer1737 »

hey i just thought that i should let you know that there is a whole bunch more updated pet models here https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Slayer1737 wrote:hey i just thought that i should let you know that there is a whole bunch more updated pet models here https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/
I don't see anything that wasn't there yesterday : o
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

SlickrockGhost wrote:What I do wish they'd spend more time on with some of the pets is the above-from-the-back view, which we spend most of the time in game looking at.
This is how I feel about the new Silithid mounts. They look shiny from the side and front, but velvety from the back. I feel like I'm riding around on a Silithid plushie :)
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Valnaaros wrote:
I agree they could alter the hoods a bit, but in regards to rattles, these aren't RL cobras. Vultures do not have long rat tails IRL. Wolves do not have long tusks. Boars do not have bone spikes sticking out all over their bodies.
I maintain that those long things on vulture behinds are feathers. I refuse to see them as fleshy tails. Nope. Not gonna do it. :)

I had hoped that the updated ones would make it clear that those are feathers, but, uh....yeah, it just makes it look more like tails. But. Nope. They will always be feathers to me. And the reason I don't have a vulture.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I was really excited about the hyena update because I thought I'd finally tame one and like it, but I feel like Blizzard have tried to put too much detail on something that is just too small. The hyena's neck and head is basically the size of the body. It's a good 1:1 ratio of head and neck to body, which isn't how things are supposed to look. It's like the hyenas starting working out and I'm getting concerned I'm going to be squared up by one next time I come across one
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I think the new Cobra model would look a lot better if they alter the size of the head, as well as shorten the rattle. This would really help with making the body not look so stubby.
Razzy
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Razzy »

I was looking at some of the models' animations on MMOC, and I noticed that the raptors and basilisks seems to both have updated animations (guessing to account for the raptor travel form and basilisk mounts). The raptors have a lot more fluidity in their animations, and the basilisk animations look a lot smoother and less jarring, especially the run. It'll be nice seeing all the old world crocolisks/dimetrodons/basilisks with these newer animations.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I believe the basilisks got new animations in 7.1.5 or something like that. Was done for the Brawler's Guild mount. I don't think the animations were applied to Crocolisks or Dimetrodons, but hopefully they will be.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Valnaaros wrote:I think the new Cobra model would look a lot better if they alter the size of the head, as well as shorten the rattle. This would really help with making the body not look so stubby.
But they're adorable when they're stubby, like the Tsuchinoko in Japanese myth. Cute screaming voice and love of coins not included.

I do agree though; the stubbiness doesn't work with their attempt at making them look tough. They look like bad chew toys for dogs.
Attachments
Tsuchinoko.gif
Tsuchinoko.gif (26.82 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
Delphinie
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary/Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Delphinie »

If the white wind serpent was highlighted with blues it would look closer to the original that the pink/gold/beige one.
OMG, The Insanity of Altoholisim. ~Japhinie/Delphinie~