Battle for Azeroth Old World Creature model updates

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
mpd_84
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Re: Battle for Azeroth Old World Creature model updates

Unread post by mpd_84 »

A lot of the updated textures are really washed out and flat looking. The old ones have a bunch of gradient detail but the new ones are just so dull, like they got the base flats on the color layer filled in and got bored with it.
Slayer1737
Realm: Silvermoon

Unread post by Slayer1737 »

Valnaaros wrote:
Slayer1737 wrote:hey i just thought that i should let you know that there is a whole bunch more updated pet models here https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/
I don't see anything that wasn't there yesterday : o
there are models of a few more spiders, gorillas, bats, diemetradons which will most likely become tamable in BFA and a hyena. there may be a few odd extra ones like the hyena and spiders but thats all i can see that missing atm
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Are you sure? I saw those ones there yesterday.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I'm not a huge fan of the updated look of the vanilla vultures. I dunno what bugs me about em.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

cowmuflage wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the updated look of the vanilla vultures. I dunno what bugs me about em.
I think it might be the new art style they've been leaning toward. The textures have something of a painted, softer quality that I imagine will incorporate well into the environments once everything's in game together, but I definitely notice it when we're just looking at the models themselves. Older models had bolder shading, sharper angles, and more pronounced shapes.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the updated look of the vanilla vultures. I dunno what bugs me about em.
I think it might be the new art style they've been leaning toward. The textures have something of a painted, softer quality that I imagine will incorporate well into the environments once everything's in game together, but I definitely notice it when we're just looking at the models themselves. Older models had bolder shading, sharper angles, and more pronounced shapes.
From an artistic perspective, it also had to do with limitations at the time, as well as their artistic direction.

I'm not saying WoW's style was ever really "realistic", but it was definitely about forcing in as much detail as they could into - what? 512x512 texturespace? And they did a phenomenal job at that, considering. It would have been a waste for them to not pump as much detail into it as they could. It was the most detailed they could do with what they had to work with at the time.

But technology has not only changed, but so has their artistic direction. It's no longer about painting in as many details as possible, but instead about making it stylistically appealing in a timeless way. You saw it with Overwatch. They're not so much going for the most HD look possible, but more so for the style that will look good even a decade from now.

And that's what I believe these new models are. So that 5 expansions down the line, the new hyenas can still fit into the world, so that it doesn't become a case of "the technology allows us to use more polygons and higher texture resolution now. These hyenas made in BfA are dated."
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

That's pretty much the case, Qraljar, and it is understandable. I would rather have a model that still looks good several xpacs from now than one that looks dated in just a couple. It's just something we'll have to gradually get used to.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Vephriel wrote:
No I've come to realise it's the head and feet. The feet seem very oversized even comically so and the beak looks ugly, I think it's mainly the head that's putting me off and it's a shame as the classic black/orange vanilla skin is the one I use for one of the few pets I use (i've only got like 5 pets)
Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Silver Hand (H) Scarlet Crusade (A)

Unread post by Ashaine »

I'm incredibly hyped that hyenas and wind serpents are FINALLY getting updates! They look amazing too! I'm very much looking forward to the Xpac.

Ashaine Silverfel - <Dreadblade Assassins> - Silver Hand US - Faileas#1676
Deviantart | Facebook | Signature Shop | Flight Rising
"Not all who wander are lost."

Guildmaster • Hunter-Friendly RP Guild • Always Recruiting! • PM me!

ionicOneirologist
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by ionicOneirologist »

For the most part, these look great to me and I'm excited! Especially the spiders oh goodness. I'm so happy tarantulas are getting proper spider fangs. Hyenas were far too long overdue as well!

I do have to echo the sentiments about preferring the darker black from the older models in most cases though... and that "white" wind serpent. Oh no. :( My main has one that's pretty important to her, and it needs to be actually white - both because I love the white in the original model and because it's important to the story I have going with my character! I hope they adjust it, or add in another, whiter version. The other colors of new model are stunning, so if we get a proper white I'll be in love! (I admit that I'll miss the scalier wings though; I really liked that look. Never realized they were supposed to be feathery.)
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I'm a bit late to the game, but when I saw those wind serpent updates on Wowhead... like WOW!
They've always bee my favourite pets in the game, but they were so low res and dated that I could never really justify having one now.
With these updates I am CERTAIN to have a few hunters with wind serpents now.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Doc Privas
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Doc Privas »

Can't decide if I like the new hyenas or not...the colours are a bit...too saturated?

Anyway I'm glad that they are updating so many wow beasts and critters! I hope that they will update tallstriders too, as a tauren hunter I demand that! ;)

Cloudstrider - Highmountain Tauren Hunter
Argent Dawn EU

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Doc Privas wrote:Can't decide if I like the new hyenas or not...the colours are a bit...too saturated?

Anyway I'm glad that they are updating so many wow beasts and critters! I hope that they will update tallstriders too, as a tauren hunter I demand that! ;)
I kinda agree. The colors, to me, are a bit over the top.

But I like these ones:

The second one is likely to be found on new hyena mobs in Vol'dun.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah, the hyenas look great with the natural colours, but ones like the red/purple/yellow seem a bit too saturated (which is ironic because in other cases it seems like the art team is moving away from saturated colours??). Mostly it's the lack of shading and gradient detail which gives them that play-doh sort of look. I feel like the fur needs more detailing, like the original models had (in terms of the spotting and colouration) and then it wouldn't look like such a big blank canvas.
magepower13
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub

Unread post by magepower13 »

Holy cow those updated crabs, wind serpents, and tarantulas are awesome! Currently camping for Karkin again haha.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Im not playing wow anymore but I still like to look at pets. While the new hyena and windserpents are nice, I don't feel they got the same personality as the old ones. .I dead to see what they will do to my belowed snow leopards....
Imo they should add the new but still keep the old. ..well atleast the hyena and windserpents. .they new ones just doenst look right. ...

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

magepower13
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub

Unread post by magepower13 »

Tårnfalk wrote:Im not playing wow anymore but I still like to look at pets. While the new hyena and windserpents are nice, I don't feel they got the same personality as the old ones. .I dead to see what they will do to my belowed snow leopards....
Imo they should add the new but still keep the old. ..well atleast the hyena and windserpents. .they new ones just doenst look right. ...
It could end up being something similar to the new bear models where there's a rare spawn using the older model for those who enjoy it. Nothing confirmed yet, but I wouldn't put something like that past them.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Please excuse my terribly fast editing, my photoshop is glitching out so I had to use a program without all the features I wanted :x but-

...it REALLY wouldn't take much to get a bit closer to the old skin. Yellow up the spots, turn the body a touch more orange (adding purple helps too but let's be simple about this), and turn the black a little more purple- it's not a perfect fix, but I'd really love to at least see the return of the striking yellow spots. ;_; They were the defining trait of the skin, for me, and what made it one of my favorite looks in the game.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Bowno »

Love that edit. I'd personally go for a bit more darker, burnt looking areas on the main coat. But I'm loving your edit so far! That would be a HUGE improvement to what blizzard gave them.

Siggy under construction!

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Yeah, I considered editing in the dark belly and throat the old one had, but I wanted to be minimal with the edits this time :,D That said, yeah- Ideally, I'd really, really love to see the old dark belly and face. They added a ton of character!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!