Battle for Azeroth Old World Creature model updates

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Battle for Azeroth Old World Creature model updates

Unread post by Valnaaros »

magepower13 wrote:
Tårnfalk wrote:Im not playing wow anymore but I still like to look at pets. While the new hyena and windserpents are nice, I don't feel they got the same personality as the old ones. .I dead to see what they will do to my belowed snow leopards....
Imo they should add the new but still keep the old. ..well atleast the hyena and windserpents. .they new ones just doenst look right. ...
It could end up being something similar to the new bear models where there's a rare spawn using the older model for those who enjoy it. Nothing confirmed yet, but I wouldn't put something like that past them.
I'm hoping they will do that, but it isn't just one beast this time. Spiders, crabs, dimetrodons, gorillas, hyenas, wind serpents, beetles, Thunder Lizards, and vultures are getting updated. If a rare mob was made for every single one of the original variants for every single of the above mentioned families, then the old world would start becoming rather cluttered. Besides, I think Blizz is wanting to move away from the old models. Again, I hope for some grandfathering, but I'm not confident that they'll do it again :(
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

am loving the new hawks , eagles and ravens. ahhh I so hope we get more space or a transmog like system.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:
magepower13 wrote:
Tårnfalk wrote:Im not playing wow anymore but I still like to look at pets. While the new hyena and windserpents are nice, I don't feel they got the same personality as the old ones. .I dead to see what they will do to my belowed snow leopards....
Imo they should add the new but still keep the old. ..well atleast the hyena and windserpents. .they new ones just doenst look right. ...
It could end up being something similar to the new bear models where there's a rare spawn using the older model for those who enjoy it. Nothing confirmed yet, but I wouldn't put something like that past them.
I'm hoping they will do that, but it isn't just one beast this time. Spiders, crabs, dimetrodons, gorillas, hyenas, wind serpents, beetles, Thunder Lizards, and vultures are getting updated. If a rare mob was made for every single one of the original variants for every single of the above mentioned families, then the old world would start becoming rather cluttered. Besides, I think Blizz is wanting to move away from the old models. Again, I hope for some grandfathering, but I'm not confident that they'll do it again :(
The bears were very different so it was nice they provided options for the old ones. Some of the BfA models are better updates and I don't think it's such an issue with those. It remains to be seen when the game goes live whether some of them, like some of the thunder lizards and diemetradons, are really replaced, because they look nothing much alike. The diemetradons even have painted markings on them, so it makes me wonder if they were designed purely as a Zandalari thing. Others, like the various spider updates and vultures, capture the essence of the originals, even if people aren't always happy with some features.

So once we get access to the beta we can start giving feedback on that. Maybe they'll provide older versions of some, but maybe there's just too many this time :/
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Heh in all honesty I really should not care about this as I dont plan to play again ;). But I like to give my two cents anyway ;)
The old hyenas had more of a "cuddly " personality. I feel the new ones are just too much musle and bulkiness to fit. .and their posture to me is all wrong. .

This to me is a better pose. And just look at the face. . Image

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Astratia »

So far I'm loving all the new updates to the beast models.
It's made mw want to re-tame some pets I ran with but released because of how old their models were.

Now, I wonder what the plan to do with all the cats...

My favorite kitty being Rak'shiri. I love him, but he really needs an update. I just hope they stay true to the saber models while bringing them into the new era :3

Art Credit to Lupin Dark Wolf

Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Wow, I really like the new models, but I don't understand the direction they're taking with some of the colors. The "white" wind serpent is way off, as are most of the thunder lizards. I'm also worried that the red mine spider isn't as vibrant as the original - that's one of my favorite pets. Also echoing the concern over the hyenas' lack of coat pattern/coloration. Overall though, I think the models look really good.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Bluefire
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Duskwood

Unread post by Bluefire »

Loving all the updates to the old pets but I have to say I am super disappointed in the new White windserpent. They went from a stunning pure white with gorgeous purple and blue highlights to a dull brown with cream, beige, and muddy blue highlights, I really feel they took that one in the wrong direction color wise.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I like that edit of the red hyena. I'm concerned about that one, because the red has always been my favorite. I'm hoping mine will get updated in such a way she'll come out of the stable again, but I don't know about that flat red. I agree that the golden spots are an very important feature.
Tooth
Realm: Kel'Thuzad

Unread post by Tooth »

I'm going to be posting a clean video of all the new model updates of older creatures, plus ALL the new current hunter pets (that were datamined) and be placing them in World of Warcraft... Currently, to give an example what their animations look like/what they look like, etc, by tomorrow if anyone is interested.

The new model updates, especially the spiders are looking incredible when you see them in full 3D with an actual background by the way.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Bluefire wrote:Loving all the updates to the old pets but I have to say I am super disappointed in the new White windserpent. They went from a stunning pure white with gorgeous purple and blue highlights to a dull brown with cream, beige, and muddy blue highlights, I really feel they took that one in the wrong direction color wise.
I don't believe a white wind serpent skin has been produced yet. I'm pretty sure I know the one you're referring to, but fortunately it's not named 'white'. It's actually named 'sidewinder' and seems to be a new colour. There are actually four new colours that are named after real world snakes: viper (green), sidewinder (pinkish beige), moccasin (very dark brown), and one I haven't worked out the name for yet, but is dark brown with diamond patterns that look very much like a rattlesnake (I've tried so many combinations of rattlesnake names but to no avail).

It's odd that they produced all those but no white. I'd be angry if they try to sub that beige one in for white but hopefully they won't. Then again, none of them have retained the shine of the originals. :(
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Wain wrote:There are actually four new colours that are named after real world snakes: viper (green), sidewinder (pinkish beige), moccasin (very dark brown), and one I haven't worked out the name for yet, but is dark brown with diamond patterns that look very much like a rattlesnake (I've tried so many combinations of rattlesnake names but to no avail).
You've probably already tried it, but what about "diamondback"? Or "rattler"?
Schlimazel
Realm: Mal'Ganis

Unread post by Schlimazel »

Tårnfalk wrote:Heh in all honesty I really should not care about this as I dont plan to play again ;). But I like to give my two cents anyway ;)
The old hyenas had more of a "cuddly " personality. I feel the new ones are just too much musle and bulkiness to fit. .and their posture to me is all wrong. .

This to me is a better pose. And just look at the face. . Image
The posture is all wrong because they're jamming them onto the draenor wolf skeleton.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Technically, the Draenor wolf skeleton is the same skeleton that has been used by coyotes and hyenas since vanilla. The new posture of the new hyena model is just how they are on Azeroth.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Equeon wrote:
Wain wrote:There are actually four new colours that are named after real world snakes: viper (green), sidewinder (pinkish beige), moccasin (very dark brown), and one I haven't worked out the name for yet, but is dark brown with diamond patterns that look very much like a rattlesnake (I've tried so many combinations of rattlesnake names but to no avail).
You've probably already tried it, but what about "diamondback"? Or "rattler"?
Thanks, but yeah, I've tried a lot of combinations with both those things :). I even grabbed a list with the common name of every rattler species, converted them into file names and tried all of them.

I'm 90% sure it's meant to be 'diamondback', because I found diamondback skins for the new snake model and the sethrak (snake person) model. My suspicion is there's a weird typo or something inconsistent about the file name which I haven't guessed yet.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Valnaaros wrote:Technically, the Draenor wolf skeleton is the same skeleton that has been used by coyotes and hyenas since vanilla. The new posture of the new hyena model is just how they are on Azeroth.
They've certainly been this way for a while, but I do miss the old posture, where their heads were held up a little above their torso. Unfortunately, I think that head-high posture was what was causing some very major rigging issues- the tail used to completely break and get sucked into its spine every time it attacked, and I believe there was an issue with either the walking or running animation. It's a shame- the old posture was a very endearing one.

That said, I know a lot of people love the new one too!

And @ Wain- I'd love it if that 'white' skin wasn't the actual white replacement! I think my fear that it is is based off of how many of the replacement skins so far seem incredibly unfaithful to the old ones (the red thunderbeast is totally missing the bright purple! who's doing these updates???). But there's still time (I hope) for things to change!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Does anyone have images/gifs of the original hyena posture? It's been so long I can hardly picture it anymore. I've never really minded the hunch back myself - I understand it's not very realistic, but there's something cartoonishly stylized in it that I've never minded.
Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Wain wrote:
Equeon wrote: You've probably already tried it, but what about "diamondback"? Or "rattler"?
Thanks, but yeah, I've tried a lot of combinations with both those things :). I even grabbed a list with the common name of every rattler species, converted them into file names and tried all of them.
I'm 90% sure it's meant to be 'diamondback', because I found diamondback skins for the new snake model and the sethrak (snake person) model. My suspicion is there's a weird typo or something inconsistent about the file name which I haven't guessed yet.
So the filename ended up being: windserpent_diamonback [missing end 'd' in 'diamond']

A key part of datamining file names is guessing what words the art team are likely to have typoed :lol:
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Slapperfish wrote:
Vephriel wrote:Does anyone have images/gifs of the original hyena posture? It's been so long I can hardly picture it anymore. I've never really minded the hunch back myself - I understand it's not very realistic, but there's something cartoonishly stylized in it that I've never minded.

Grabbed these off the old version of Petopia. Thank goodness for internet archiving!

If we need more I can always just hop onto Elysium and take a few screenies there. Assuming it hasn't fallen prey to Blizzard's legal team, of course.
Yes! This posture is so much better. ..why couldt they just keep the posture and update the skin....

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Wain wrote:
Wain wrote:
Equeon wrote: You've probably already tried it, but what about "diamondback"? Or "rattler"?
So the filename ended up being: windserpent_diamonback [missing end 'd' in 'diamond']

A key part of datamining file names is guessing what words the art team are likely to have typoed :lol:
Nice work, Wain! Thanks again for your hard work in putting all of this together :)