Petopia official BfA model image page

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Petopia official BfA model image page

Unread post by Wain »

So I've finally completed all the images and database entries for Battle for Azeroth so far, and have created a page of all potential pet looks, here:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/bfalooks.php

The page contains many things that may not end up tameable, but for now I'm trying to be as broad as possible. Several new models have shape variants, and the hermit crabs allow combinations of body and shell colour, and in those cases I've usually opted to display just a few examples underneath the main colours - otherwise the size of the page would blow out dramatically.

Before I publish it officially (link it on the home page and tweet about it), could you folks please give me some feedback? Is anything missing? Any typos or misinformation?

Any suggestions would also be appreciated!

Otherwise, enjoy the page! It's taken many days, and often long nights, to get it all together, but it's been fun too :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Petopia official BfA model image page

Unread post by Valnaaros »

For the new bear color, you have the description posted twice.

The brontosaurs are called Brutosaurs, not Brotosaurs.

Other than that, amazing job, Wain!! I didn't see any other issues with it. Thanks so much for all of the hard work :)
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Fantastic work! At least in terms of potential looks, this expansion is shaping up very nicely.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Amazing work! I didn't even realise there were so many different models I hadn't noticed, so I'll be keeping this saved to scroll through on the fly :D How y'all manage to dig all the models and names up never ceases to amaze me :lol:
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Thanks a lot Wain! Great shots. The replacement models look like you used the same angles, which is cool.

Also, there are some new skins I see there, like the gryphon, bear, hyena, some crab ones (I think), the rocket chicken, the pale green Thunder Lizard and the different options for some models, like the rattle or no rattle, or bigger heads.

This is really useful. I also enjoyed some of your personal comments that you added.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Awesome! Thanks so much for putting it all together :D
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

It's so wonderful to see them organized and displayed all together like this, I'm in awe of how much work you must have done to get these images! :hug: Looks great! :D
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

As an aside, the hyena with the white spots looks great.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

We don't deserve Wain!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Quiv wrote:We don't deserve Wain!
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Mate, your dedication is off the chain. Other sites have teams of people, but what you’ve managed to get done, as just a singular data Miner/Web designer/Site Manager, is beyond incredible.
Just... <3

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Aww, thanks all. I'm glad you're liking it :hug: :D

I've fixed it up for Valnaaros's corrections, thanks!

This has been extra hard to do this expansion, because (i) WoW Model Viewer isn't working for the new database yet (but the WMV owner is a hard-working guy and is getting it fixed as fast as he can), so I had to do work-arounds; (ii) I don't have official Alpha access and had to get help accessing the database. There are a number of very kind people on the net who helped me with database stuff and advice. I won't name names. Some of them also work for the two major fansites, but are generous with their expertise. There's also a huge list of database file names that helped a lot, and I spent a lot of time contributing missing skin names to it as I found them. Without all these people it would be hard for us to continue.

Hopefully Alpha access is going to be offered, but who knows at this stage? Blizzard's corporate strategies are clearly changing. It's fair for them to stagger invites to fansites, but it's also a harsh reality that in doing so they can make or break smaller sites and streamers. Those first few weeks can be critical. I don't see us going anywhere, though :)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Oh yeah, we'll be fine. It is harder this go around, but I think you got through the first major hurdle :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

One thing that I've noticed through this process is that many of the new skin names suggest they're intended to replace older ones, but the similarity to the old ones varies. Many are really great updates, but a few seem to bear little or no relation to the original colour at all.

Once we're certain which ones are going to be replacements I'd like to start a list that identifies which skins are the most concerning, and hopefully we can lobby for someone in the art team to take a second look at them. I won't start that discussion now, or on this thread, I just wanted to give my thoughts on where I'd like this to lead.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

With as many new models and variants as there are, I think the most that we can hope for is for them to listen to our suggestions and tweak them. There are just too many for them all to be grandfathered in the form of a rare somewhere :/
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:With as many new models and variants as there are, I think the most that we can hope for is for them to listen to our suggestions and tweak them. There are just too many for them all to be grandfathered in the form of a rare somewhere :/
Agreed. It's not like the bears in that I think there's way too many this time and it would be unrealistic to expect that. I think most of the models are pretty good, too, it's just that a small proportion of the colours don't match well, or at all. Like, the new mine spider skin that is officially named "olive" is a completely different colour to the old one. The new one named "blood", which is far less bright and saturated than the old, is actually a better match for the old "olive". The very saturated hyena skins (esp. red and purple) are another case that comes to mind. Hopefully they'll find time to tweak a few and also leave the other versions, so we have extra colours :)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Agreed. I'm sure if we get enough feedback in, they can make small tweaks like that. I wouldn't think it would be very difficult or take a lot of time :)
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

This makes me so hyped :D

I can't get over how gorgeous the new hawks look.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Slayer1737
Realm: Silvermoon

Unread post by Slayer1737 »

looks like you're missing some tints for skins and the Blood Trolls beast called Crawgs I'm unsure how many tints there are for it though

edited: You also may have missed the Drust Wicker Hound things.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Wain may have skipped those (at least the wicker beasts) due to the unlikelihood of them being a tamable beast.