Updated Tameable Beast Image Comparisons

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: Updated Tameable Beast Image Comparisons

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

If I had the time and the energy, using the “new” models I could rather easily edit any of the terribly mismatching skin colors to match their intended counterparts. It would unfortunately be a waste of time apart from appreciation here. For the most, the model designs have been fantastic thus far, it’s just whom ever is trying to replicate of the original colors of the counter parts, are sometimes hits, and frankly massive misses. And as a freelance designer that works with a LOT of adaptive work, it’s not hard. #Shrug

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

They clearly aren't scared of making bright and also heavily-detailed skins. For example:

(I think the above is my favourite of all skins so far and I hope this artist gets to replicate the old colours as well!)

(Heavy realism and beautiful fine detail. There's no reason the hyena couldn't have been the same)

(If they can do this with a diemetradon, they can make thunderlizards in slightly more vivid colours)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Wain wrote:They clearly aren't scared of making bright and also heavily-detailed skins. For example:

(I think the above is my favourite of all skins so far and I hope this artist gets to replicate the old colours as well!)

(Heavy realism and beautiful fine detail. There's no reason the hyena couldn't have been the same)

(If they can do this with a diemetradon, they can make thunderlizards in slightly more vivid colours)
You are definitely correct here. But apart from where it might fit, like a parrot with those patterns, they definitely look like they are trying to veer away from using lots of different, saturated and "clashing" colors.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks to Quiv's work I've now made a comparison page on the official site:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/bfamodelupdates.php

The official BfA looks page now has links to it for any model that is flagged as an update/replacement one.

I'd like to do something similar to Quiv's animated gifs, but I'm hoping I can do it with pure CSS on the page, and just have the images fade from old to new, and then back when moused over. I'm just not sure how yet.

Please let me know if you have any feedback or find any issues :)
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I really like the comparison shot but the names beneath instead of above is a bit confusing :) I am on my cellphone so it might be why otshard with the labels. On my phone the label black is over the blue which is a tad confusing ;)

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Tårnfalk wrote:I really like the comparison shot but the names beneath instead of above is a bit confusing :) I am on my cellphone so it might be why otshard with the labels. On my phone the label black is over the blue which is a tad confusing ;)
So on your phone the labels are too close to the models below them? Maybe if I added more space between looks, or made the divider draw all the way across the row? I made the dividers between looks really small because I thought it looked a but cluttered and heavy with lots of lines, but maybe I have to.

Update: I moved the colour names to above the images and added more spacing between the different looks. How do you find it now? :)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

It looks good to me on my phone :)
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Looks so much better to me now :D great job Wain :)

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Bluefire
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Duskwood

Unread post by Bluefire »

While I love most of the updates I absolutely HATE the new white windserpent. The white WS is my favorite color and it breaks my heart to see it ruined like that.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I wonder if they're going to do like what they did for the bears, have rare spawns with the old models. If hyena models/skins don't get revised, I'd prefer to have my old red one.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I would think not, since there are so many new models. With the bears, it was just them. But we have Hyenas, Thunder Lizards, Wind Serpents, Gorillas, Vultures, Crabs, Spiders, Parrots, Dimetrodons, Frogs, etc. That is way too many for Blizz to grand father. Besides, if they did happen to make a rare spawn for every single old model, the world would start cluttering up with them. It would be nice, but I wouldn't count on it. :(
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Many of them have rares already. Then there's the Grimrot and Madexx. "One" rare, multiple skins.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

And the original rare bears were converted into the new model. They had to make a whole new set of rares for every bear skin, as far as I'm aware.

True, but that can only go so far. It would be ridiculous to have one mob rotate through several skins, or even a few mobs. There are just too many skin variants. It would be nice if Blizz did it, but realistically it probably won't happen :(
Neeka
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Neeka »

First, I appreciate old pets getting new models. It was needed, and the models look good. Like others, I'm dismayed by how far some of the skins have deviated from the originals. The individual quirks and details that defined some of the skins are missing and others, like the "Light Green" Scalehide, aren't even remotely in the same color family. I really hope they listen to feedback and do a pass on pet skins to try to get them closer to the original colors.
magepower13
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub

Unread post by magepower13 »

As others have said, I also feel like some of these are hit or miss. I personally love the new bronze crab, white hyena, all the tarantulas, and the orange wind serpent. However, I also hate how they've pretty much destroyed the white wind serpent, gray/green thunder lizard (why on earth is the new one brown?), most of the hyenas, and especially the white vulture. I have camped Zaricotl on all 3 of my Hunters since I love his coloring and the new model is just too different. The least they could do is add the black on to the feathers and change his eyes to red. Lots of the colors in the new models look smudgy/too saturated/sloppy too imo.

I really hope they revisit some of these. On the plus side, if they don't I can clear out about 1/3 of my stables.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Wain wrote:I'd like to do something similar to Quiv's animated gifs, but I'm hoping I can do it with pure CSS on the page, and just have the images fade from old to new, and then back when moused over. I'm just not sure how yet.

You can absolutely do a fade-over in CSS, Wain—I think that'd work really well, actually, though I dunno how it'd work on mobile (if at all); since you're using tables still it's even easier—here's a sample though I didn't bother to copy over all your fancier CSS. Set the old image as the background of the new look's cell/td and give the new image a class that sets it to fade on mouseover. Having the old image be on the "bottom" means that even if the fade doesn't work due to old browser or whatnot, they can still see the new version. You could probably do it the other way if you wanted it on the left with your current layout, too. Or both! Hover over everything, mwahaha!

Code: Select all

.fade {
   opacity: 1;
   transition: opacity .5s ease-in-out;
   -moz-transition: opacity .5s ease-in-out;
   -webkit-transition: opacity .5s ease-in-out;
   }

.fade:hover {
      opacity: 0;
      }
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Xella wrote:
Wain wrote:I'd like to do something similar to Quiv's animated gifs, but I'm hoping I can do it with pure CSS on the page, and just have the images fade from old to new, and then back when moused over. I'm just not sure how yet.

You can absolutely do a fade-over in CSS, Wain—I think that'd work really well, actually, though I dunno how it'd work on mobile (if at all); since you're using tables still it's even easier—here's a sample though I didn't bother to copy over all your fancier CSS. Set the old image as the background of the new look's cell/td and give the new image a class that sets it to fade on mouseover. Having the old image be on the "bottom" means that even if the fade doesn't work due to old browser or whatnot, they can still see the new version. You could probably do it the other way if you wanted it on the left with your current layout, too. Or both! Hover over everything, mwahaha!

.fade {
   }

}

Thanks for that :). I'll give it a try out later!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Wain wrote:
Xella wrote:

.fade {
   }

}

Thanks for that :). I'll give it a try out later!
I tinkered with it for a while but unfortunately I've decided to shelve the idea for now. :( In practice there are complications in the layouts our pages use, plus complications in how users interact with the page (if the image serves as a link to the look page, it's messy if it changes to a different image as soon as they mouse over it). I still love the idea and I'll find a use for it some time :) Thanks again!
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I tamed Bonechewer on Alpha, the ghostly blue vulture. His new skin is not ghostly right now.