Updated Tameable Beast Image Comparisons

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Tooth
Realm: Kel'Thuzad

Re: Updated Tameable Beast Image Comparisons

Unread post by Tooth »

Made it into a video (old vs new): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNISfdUNjGg&t=8s

Only issue is I forgot about the vultures and a few other models like the snakes, whoops.
Now that you guy's compared the hyena models with the old, I'm no longer a fan.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

In the game, the new truesilver crab looks a lot shinier. I don't think the skin has changed in the latest build, so it must be due to shine effects that WMV isn't showing. It certainly looks a lot better than the blue look that the base skin gives it.

Attachments
truesilvercrabingame.PNG
truesilvercrabingame.PNG (830.71 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Yeah, that does look a lot better in game than in the WMV. I don't have one nor would tame one, but I'm happy for those that have/want it :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I checked out two colour updates of the slender spider model that were of concern to us: the crystal and the black widow.

The crystal one actually looks a lot better than how it appeared in WoW Model Viewer. There are shiny effects make it look far more crystalline and I'm personally pretty happy with it:

On the other hand, the same effects on the black widow actually work against it - in game I think it looks a lot worse than it looked in WMV. You'll remember there were concerns that the updated black skin looked very matte and grey-black, rather than the shiny dark-black of a real black widow, which the old model captured. Unfortunately the shiny overlay doesn't help that, instead it makes it look frosted, like a blueberry and even less shiny-black:

Those were the last things I wanted to check. I think it's time to write up an official feedback post now.
Attachments
minespider2_crystal.jpg
minespider2_crystal.jpg (588.83 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
minespider2_steel.jpg
minespider2_steel.jpg (501.92 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Lamiara
Realm: EU- Moonglade, Darkmoon Faire

Unread post by Lamiara »

Bluefire wrote:While I love most of the updates I absolutely HATE the new white windserpent. The white WS is my favorite color and it breaks my heart to see it ruined like that.
indeed.
A slap in the face for all hunters who camped hours to tame Arash-ethis way back in classic/tbc.

but since they even removed original player models, phasing one race out after the next, I have little hope that they will reconsider, they obviously think of themselves as infallible demigods, and ignoring feedback is their specialty.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Except that you can go back to the old player models. There is an option in the advanced settings that lets you do that.

They altered the original Quilen model based on feedback, as well as the new bear model.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Not related to the different colorations, but do the minespiders on the actual alpha have the same problem with their front most left leg?

It's incorrectly skinned in the modelviewer and has been since the first alpha build, I think. It has the same issue as the fire scorpion, essentially. Is that also a thing ingame?
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Qraljar wrote:Not related to the different colorations, but do the minespiders on the actual alpha have the same problem with their front most left leg?

It's incorrectly skinned in the modelviewer and has been since the first alpha build, I think. It has the same issue as the fire scorpion, essentially. Is that also a thing ingame?
Oof....

I just went to have a look and, unfortunately, their leg is broken. T_T
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_032618_163010.png
WoWScrnShot_032618_163010.png (742.78 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Shoot. Yeah, they still do :/ Hopefully Blizz will finally get around to fixing it, amongst other things.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:
Qraljar wrote:Not related to the different colorations, but do the minespiders on the actual alpha have the same problem with their front most left leg?

Oof....

I just went to have a look and, unfortunately, their leg is broken. T_T
Yeah, that bugs me the hardest. I can overlook inconsistent colors, but having one of their front legs broken is going to bug me beyond anything.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

My special spider still has FITE!
Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

Valnaaros wrote:Except that you can go back to the old player models. There is an option in the advanced settings that lets you do that.
I am saddened to be the bearer of bad news, but that option doesn't works anymore for some races now.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Poor spider :/ that leg is painful to look at and man the "black" mining spider is not black at all anymore..

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Lamiara
Realm: EU- Moonglade, Darkmoon Faire

Unread post by Lamiara »

Valnaaros wrote:Except that you can go back to the old player models. There is an option in the advanced settings that lets you do that.
no, you really can't, if you are playing an elf of any sort, draenei, or tauren, those races have had their real models removed and ticking off the box does NOTHING for them. Trolls will be next.

Also, since the beginning of Legion, using "old models" are not the real original models, it's the new model rig (with the new, awkward animations) which has the old texture pasted over it- in some cases, this results in an even worse look because the facial structure is different.

The only time the option was actually working was during WoD.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Even still, we can't expect Blizz to keep around models from 2004 on a large scale. Not everyone will like that, as some will prefer the old ones, but it is what it is. Blizz can't please everyone.
Vephriel

Yeah, the black widows just....aren't very black anymore. :( In the ambiance of Duskwood they really stick out with how grey/shiny they are now.

I'm personally still not pleased with the crystal spiders, even after seeing them in game. To me the textures and colours just look like pebble or stone, not crystalline in the least. They look like dirty glass. What I really miss is the sharp, geometric facets the original had, that really sold the look on being something that was like diamond.

Attachments
Image13.png
Image13.png (444.68 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Image14.png
Image14.png (512.15 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Image4.png
Image4.png (382.96 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

wow yeah thats not a diamond.. not even a blue diamond.. its too dull.... compared to the gemstone itself

and wow that mining spider ... so sad to see its desaturation..
Last edited by Ana on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Vephriel

Exactly Tarn! They've rounded off the edges of the facets on the new model and it completely destroys that look. :(
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Blue quarts maybe

... but no way near the original one.... Ohh I feel sorry for you guys attached to this spider.... I dont play anymore and dont plan to return but it pains me to see this...

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've started a thread on the official forums. If you have alpha access, please go show your support, give your feedback, and add any appearances that may concern you :)
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20762126410

Don't forget to add praise for anything you think they did really well. I mentioned the tarantulas because they stood out as popular in the survey here.