Feedback poll - updated skins that need improvement

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Model updates that need improvement

Tan Beetle
No votes
Grand Vulture Black
1%
Grand Vulture Blue-Grey
No votes
Grand Vulture Brown
No votes
Grand Vulture Blue-Grey Ghostly
No votes
Grand Vulture Red
No votes
Grand Vulture White
14%
Grand Crab Indigo
1%
Grand Crab Bronze
No votes
Grand Crab Onyx & Ruby
5%
Grand Crab Vermillion
1%
Grand Crab Truesilver
4%
Grand Crab Ivory
No votes
Grand Gorilla Black
No votes
Grand Gorilla Steel Gray
No votes
Grand Gorilla Black
No votes
Grand Gorilla Grey
1%
Grand Gorilla Red
1%
Grand Gorilla Icy Blue
No votes
Grand Hyena Black
1%
Grand Hyena Silver Grey
No votes
Grand Hyena Burnt Orange
No votes
Grand Hyena Purple
6%
Grand Hyena Red
19%
Grand Hyena Yellow
No votes
Upgraded Robotic Gorilla
No votes
Upgraded Robot Chicken
No votes
Thunder Lizard Beige
1%
Thunder Lizard Black
No votes
Thunder Lizard Dark Blue
No votes
Thunder Lizard Green
No votes
Thunder Lizard Brown
6%
Thunder Lizard Red
1%
Spider-Grand Gracile Black Widow
2%
Spider-Grand Gravile Crystal
2%
Spider-Grand Gravile Dark Green
No votes
Spider-Grand Gracile Purple Grey
No votes
Spider-Grand Gracile Bright Green
No votes
Spider-Grand Gracile Grey Brown
No votes
Spider-Grand Gracile Purple Grey
No votes
Spider-Grand Gracile Red Olive
1%
Spider-Grand Gracile Brown
No votes
Spider-Grand Bone Brown
1%
Spider-Grand Bone Dark Brown
No votes
Spider-Grand Bone Green Grey
No votes
Spider-Grand Bone Grey
No votes
Spider-Grand Bone Khaki Grey
1%
Spider-Grand Tarantula Green
No votes
Spider-Grand Tarantula Grey
No votes
Spider-Grand Tarantula Lava
1%
Spider-Grand Tarantula Orange
No votes
Spider-Grand Tarantula Brown
No votes
Spider-Grand Barbed Burnt Orange
1%
Spider-Grand Barbed Red Black
No votes
Spider-Grand Barbed Amber Yellow
No votes
Wind Serpent-Grand Blue Black
6%
Wind Serpent-Grand Green
No votes
Wind Serpent-Grand Orange
1%
Wind Serpent-Grand Red
1%
Wind Serpent-Grand Crimson
1%
Wind Serpent-Grand Light Brown
21%

Total votes: 113

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: several...

Re: Feedback poll - updated skins that need improvement

Unread post by Funk »

Ok, I said I was just going to edit my post but since it took me several days, I'll compile my brief feedback in a new post.

I first want to say that I agree with the top three results; they are certainly the most blatant offenders.

I also echo what many have said: the new models are pretty great, but it's mostly the colours being off that disappoints--and the new colour schemes aren't even bad in many cases, they just aren't what we've come to love.

I'm no pro at describing colours but I'll give it a shot.

One of my votes was for the indigo crab. While I love the nice, dark colour, one thing I loved about the crab models is their distinctly white/pale undersides. The top of the body is also missing that almost grey-ish pink(?) tone down the middle. The shade of blue itself is a bit off, as the old model has some teal(?) to it, in addition to the darker blue. My suggestion would be to keep the nice, dark model they've made and maybe throw in one more that looks more like the original (pale belly, more teal to it, lighter details on top). As an aside, I wouldn't mind seeing a second vermilion crab variant with a paler underside. I'll still tame the crap out of the new crabs even without changes because they are cute af.

My second vote was for the brown bone spider. While, as mentioned by Veph in another thread, I like that the spiders have actual spider anatomy, the bone spider update is a bit devastating for me. The brown and the green-grey feel like the worst to me. I loved the brown because of the rich brown colour it had, and how the spikes and other features were much lighter. I loved that the undersides to its legs were a noticeable greyish purple. The green-grey I loved because of the much cooler (read: more blue-ish silver) grey tone it had for its body and bones, and the purple webs. I loved how extremely dark its dark areas were; the contrast appealed to me. This probably sounds dramatic, but pending how the updated bone spiders look in game, I likely wont keep a single one if they are all forced to look like this. :(

My last vote was for the blue black wind serpent. While I absolutely agree that the white one is all wrong colour-wise (where's the actual white scales and lavender shades in its wings?), the blue black one is a pet that has been with me for some time so my vote was more emotionally driven. Overall, I love this new model. I really do. The only change I'd really suggest for the blue black one is to add in one more variant with a nice, slate-blue belly. Maybe, depending on how it looks in game, this variant could be slightly lighter/have a teeny bit more blue where the black bits are. The updated one is fine colour-wise, and I wouldn't abandon it, but it's just not the same. As another aside, I am going to tame the shit out of this model as well, and hope the artists get creative and add even more variants in. It's really a gorgeous model.
funk#1402

magepower13
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub

Unread post by magepower13 »

Here are my 3:

Grey Gorilla - The old skin has light grey, almost white fur and peach skin while the new one has grey fur and almost lavender skin. It's basically a different animal.

White Wind Serpent - Pretty obvious here, but the new coloration is way off.

Red Hyena - It's a great model, but the textures look unfinished. Where are its spots?
Rozzana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shattered Hand, Elune

Unread post by Rozzana »

Have they updated the cat models yet, like for the non-tiger variants? ...tbh I don't want everything to use the pandaren model, I'd like those tigers to stay unique to pandaria (and the few other places they're used)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rozzana wrote:Have they updated the cat models yet, like for the non-tiger variants? ...tbh I don't want everything to use the pandaren model, I'd like those tigers to stay unique to pandaria (and the few other places they're used)
That model was heavily used in Draenor, too.

I haven't seen anything to suggest the original models will get an update in BfA, but perhaps they still could. Understandably, they don't tend to rework models that aren't being used in new content. Are cats used in the new areas? I somehow would have expected some in Zandalar, at least.

My gut feeling is that the hurdle with updating the original cats is the sheer size of the project - there are three different models that all use the same set of skins and there's a tremendous number of colours. The basic and the 'nodding head' / guardian models could possibly use the same model with geoset variants for head configuration, though the nodding head one also needs glowing eyes. The sabertooth model may need to be kept as a separate model.

Hopefully we'll see an update to them soon, and to the original coyote wolf model, but I think I'm justifiably nervous about it now. We could end up with orange tigers that are dull orange-brown, white tigers that are smoky-grey, green-orange tigers that are dark teal and brown, and black tigers that are either so black you can't make out detail, or mid-grey. I don't think it's unfairly cynical to be nervous about that, because the evidence is in front of us.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Rozzana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shattered Hand, Elune

Unread post by Rozzana »

Wain wrote:
Rozzana wrote:Have they updated the cat models yet, like for the non-tiger variants? ...tbh I don't want everything to use the pandaren model, I'd like those tigers to stay unique to pandaria (and the few other places they're used)
That model was heavily used in Draenor, too.

I haven't seen anything to suggest the original models will get an update in BfA, but perhaps they still could. Understandably, they don't tend to rework models that aren't being used in new content. Are cats used in the new areas? I somehow would have expected some in Zandalar, at least.

My gut feeling is that the hurdle with updating the original cats is the sheer size of the project - there are three different models that all use the same set of skins and there's a tremendous number of colours. The basic and the 'nodding head' / guardian models could possibly use the same model with geoset variants for head configuration, though the nodding head one also needs glowing eyes. The sabertooth model may need to be kept as a separate model.

Hopefully we'll see an update to them soon, and to the original coyote wolf model, but I think I'm justifiably nervous about it now. We could end up with orange tigers that are dull orange-brown, white tigers that are smoky-grey, green-orange tigers that are dark teal and brown, and black tigers that are either so black you can't make out detail, or mid-grey. I don't think it's unfairly cynical to be nervous about that, because the evidence is in front of us.
You have a good point there, that would be a lot of work and there is no reason for it now. But the thought is quite exciting :D
I know they reuse models--besides ease--because others are too outdated. Like with the pandaren tigers, they're the best cat models so of course they'll use them even if they're supposed to be the "regional variant" of pandaria. Even so, I like when the creatures are specific to certain zones and continents. It feels organic and builds on my immersion, but I don't mind reused models(since to be realistic they have to).
Lamiara
Realm: EU- Moonglade, Darkmoon Faire

Unread post by Lamiara »

tbh, I dislike all of them.
Almost none of the colours are faithful to the original, and where the difference is negligible, the model itself was botched somehow.
Like; almost every new model got very chubby, the originals look sleeker and often more fierce.
This results in a certain "derp" factor in the new models (kind of like what happened to player models...).

Spiders, for example, are stockier and less segmented, resulting in them now looking like fat, blood-gorged ticks with long legs rather than spiders.
I don't even know what to say about hyenas. I mean...have you ever seen a hyena iRL?
The old model might not have been high-poly, but it looked like a hyena.
The new one...I have no idea what kind of animal that is supposed to be. Certainly not one I'm familiar with.
etc, etc.

SOLUTION: please give as a WORKING toggle for old models in BfA...working for all models, npcs, pets, and players.
Throw in original animation rigs too while you're at it. They are still in the game, they just blocked our access to them...
Sidonwy

Unread post by Sidonwy »

I'm late to the party, I think, but I would have voted for far more than three if I could have. I'm afraid a lot of the models don't really look like updates to me. They look more like reinterpretations. But choosing just three, I picked the red hyena, the blue-black wind serpent, and the not-actually-white wind serpent.

I chose the red hyena because I find the lack of contrasting belly fur and lack of detail in the coat along their back sad. They should be vibrant, and the red is, but it also looks matte and dull, like it was auto-filled with very little further thought. The token black markings are something but really can't compare to the layered coat of the original. I'd love to see the tail and nose colors fixed as well. The black ring totally circling the ears sort of makes the ears look like they're a separate element, just stuck on there, rather than one cohesive, all-over coat. Taking out the dark contrast at the base of the ear on all of the new hyenas would be a great small change. It's probably too much to hope that they'll get their old, less hunched posture back, but I've got my fingers crossed. I've had a red hyena tamed since the days when the model was the Scarlet Tracking Hound, and when that became a mastiff rather than a hyena, I went to re-tame a red hyena in Uldum. I'd hate to have to let Mooch go, but with the new model, he's just not looking like himself.

The blue-black wind serpent, that beige gully-mudge color on the belly scales is most of the problem to me. It should be a nice, clear blue. The black highlights (lowlights?) may look more threatening but really don't suit the vibrancy of the original, which was a huge part of its attraction. The eye catching pink is distinctive. If a darker, evil, corrupted blue wind serpent is desired, absolutely keep the new coloration, but I really hope there's a way to preserve the brighter, higher contrast original. I have such vivid memories of first encountering these ink blue wind serpents in the depths of Wiling Caverns and dying repeatedly while trying to tame one.

The replacement for the white wind serpent, most of it's already been said, but I have to add my vote for improving the replacement or allowing us to keep the old version somehow. The new one is just sad and dingy and ugly, while the old one is bright and graceful and beautiful. I spent a long time, back in the days when most wind serpents had caster stats, scrambling around the hills of Dustwallow Marsh looking for Hayoc, who didn't. I don't play that hunter often, but just thinking about her Heyoka being this sickly-looking matte beige, like the soiled carpet in an indifferently cleaned highway motel, makes me sad.

Sorry, this was more of a downer than I'd intended. I've already released a few pets on various hunters based on what the new models we've seen and I guess it's got me a bit depressed. I'm glad some of the new models are faithful. It shows that that there's some attention to detail involved, at least in some cases.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

BTW, has anyone started an official thread on the replacements we'd most like to see tweaked, yet? I can start one if nobody has. We probably should get moving on this.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I haven't, and no one else has as far as I'm aware.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

OK, I'll post something later :) It looks like we have three very clear winners here, with maybe 4 or so of secondary concern. If we focus on those as the best examples of our concerns, highlight that we're really appreciative of the new models and the huge range of new colours for new models and that it's *just* a replacement model concern, then hopefully it won't come across as hostile or ugnrateful.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Hopefully so. I think that most of us will be happy if Blizz just tweaks the colors to look more like the originals. That shouldn't be too hard for them to do :)
Sidonwy

Unread post by Sidonwy »

*crosses fingers* I hope so! I really hope they'll tweak the colors based on feedback.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Here are two mock-ups of color tweaking, apologies for the saddle and tack on Zaricotl, I used mount pictures off of wowhead. For the hyena, I combined the red and "orange" skin, starting with using the dark brown areas instead of the red's desaturated greys. I think that was bothering me more than the spots not having the light patches. I also added a tiny bit of character to the face, it looked so flat on the red skin.
Attachments
zaricotl.png
zaricotl.png (88.17 KiB) Viewed 3329 times
hyena2_redplus.png
hyena2_redplus.png (47 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

yes and yes!
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I like the old rusty red looked more natural and less like he got into a can of fire engine paint. :| :mrgreen:

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

It's the hyena models themselves that bother me...In the old model, the hunch is caused by the shoulder blades/neck, which is somewhat biologically accurate. The new models however, have the hunch as part of the neck, giving it a grotesque neck bulge and from the videos on them available, they look awkward and stiff. If it could be tweaked to bring the bulge back to be over the shoulders, this would be a nice model update.

The coloration is also off, the red hyena has a black belly and legs with yellow ring spots, where the new version looses the black belly and gains sparse black spots. (all the hyenas markings are off as well as their leg/belly colors)

Image vs Image

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Zoruaronan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Zoruaronan »

Quiv wrote:I'll start things off.

Grand Vulture White: Needs black on ends of wings like Zaricotl now has (and the new albatross has. Also one of the things that gave Zaricotl character was his manic red eye. I hate to see that gone.

Black Widow: I wish the black was deeper and more faithful to the original, such as the black used on the new black bee.

Grand crab onyx and ruby: I just want the new crab color to be faithful to the old Karkin color. It doesn't have that same shine, doesn't look like same beast.
I do admit some of them are BAD! Like the white vulture. But you forgot to mention the TERRIBLE brown wind serpent. as for the black widow i could be a little darker but its fine and the ruby/onyx crab i my favorite new model! and i hope there are jade sapphire arn topaz ones!
as for other models i hate
Brown Stegodon. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING! :x it now looks like the turdosuar
Yellow Vulture. just a few tweaks like making the tail yellow and adding black to the wings and it will be fine.
Orange Hyena. Maybe Make it a little brighter like a bright orange and its will look fine.
Robot Chicken. It Looks like its made of rocks.
Red Stegodon. Again Its the Turdosuars Brother
Brown Wind Serpent. Just NO.
Red Spider. Its just to dull.
Thats all i have to say :? [Man i worte this message THIS LONG! next time it will be shorter :shock:]
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Makoes wrote:It's the hyena models themselves that bother me...In the old model, the hunch is caused by the shoulder blades/neck, which is somewhat biologically accurate. The new models however, have the hunch as part of the neck, giving it a grotesque neck bulge and from the videos on them available, they look awkward and stiff.
Image vs Image
This. While I do think the hyena models could use more shading in their coloring, my main gripe is with the model's hunch. At this point, I really do prefer the old models to the new.
ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: stormrage

Unread post by ilixirshy »

please save the white wind serpent :cry:

signature by spiritbinder