Revert all model and color changes for existing creatures?

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Should Blizz revert all model changes, and update nothing?

yes
12%
no
88%

Total votes: 42

SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Everywhere

Revert all model and color changes for existing creatures?

Unread post by SlickrockGhost »

So every thread here about the new models seems to have a higher percentage of complaints that praise, so I ask this question partially in jest, but still in some seriousness. Have to say, if I was a dev, I probably wouldn't have skin thick enough to forge ahead and I'd tell my boss "let's work on something else, these people aren't happy with anything we do. Either they hate the colors, find a twitch in the model, or simply don't like change".
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Revert all model and color changes for existing creature

Unread post by Bowno »

Not sure why they would do all that work making new models and colors, only to not use any of them.
As someone who makes skins for existing 3d models on almost a daily business as an extra source of income on another game, I can safely say that it wouldn't be too difficult for them to either go back and tweak some of the skins on the colors that don't match the colors of the original OR leave some of the original available for people to get.
Or both. Both would be really nice actually.
But 100% scrapping the new stuff? That's a huge waste.

Siggy under construction!

SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Bowno wrote:Not sure why they would do all that work making new models and colors, only to not use any of them.
It's more about the work doesn't seem to be appreciated at all here. I personally would MUCH rather have the new models with duller skins, but I appear to be in the far minority.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Agreed. It is a huge waste of time and resources to make all of these new models and just have them thrown away. Blizz isn't going to do that, I guarantee it. Further, whilst Petopia is a big community of Hunters and pet-lovers, it isn't all of them. Most hunters don't even post on here, so we don't know what their opinions on the matter are. For all we know, the majority of hunters may prefer the new models over the old ones.

I think we can expect some tweaking of the colors. Wouldn't be difficult to do. But Blizz has a new philosophy when it comes model design and making them still look good a few xpacs down the road, so I don't think we can expect for the models to be altered in a major way. I also don't think Blizz is going to grandfather every model and place a rare somewhere out in the world. It worked with bears, since it was just bears. We have about a dozen or so beast families that'll be getting new models.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Bowno wrote:Not sure why they would do all that work making new models and colors, only to not use any of them.
As someone who makes skins for existing 3d models on almost a daily business as an extra source of income on another game, I can safely say that it wouldn't be too difficult for them to either go back and tweak some of the skins on the colors that don't match the colors of the original OR leave some of the original available for people to get.
Or both. Both would be really nice actually.
But 100% scrapping the new stuff? That's a huge waste.
Totally agree with this

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Valnaaros wrote:Agreed. It is a huge waste of time and resources to make all of these new models and just have them thrown away. Blizz isn't going to do that, I guarantee it. Further, whilst Petopia is a big community of Hunters and pet-lovers, it isn't all of them. Most hunters don't even post on here, so we don't know what their opinions on the matter are. For all we know, the majority of hunters may prefer the new models over the old ones.
This. Also, people tend to be a lot more vocal about things they don't like than the things they do like, which can give the impression that people are absolutely appalled at the whole situation, when in truth it's maybe one or two aspects that they don't like. It's certainty not enough to warrant them reversing so much time and effort.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

No, and it's frankly ridiculous to even ask that. The new models are great on the whole. Many of us are just confused as to why some of the colors are so far removed from the originals. I mean, some aren't even close. I don't think it's unreasonable to be a little displeased with that when some of us have had some of those models as pets for a very long time. It's also not unreasonable to hope they can tweak the worst offenders to get them a little closer.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Perhaps I'm just weary of the fuss over the colors.

But as I've said in several of the threads.. I'd far rather have the duller colors and new models than bright colors and six polygons..
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I actually haven't gotten the impression that they are, as you seem to think, universally hated. At all. I think people have some problems with some colors, which is reasonable. But I don't think Blizz would or should pack up their toys and go home because someone wants black wingtips on a buzzard.
Lamiara
Realm: EU- Moonglade, Darkmoon Faire

Unread post by Lamiara »

on existing creatures?
yes, why not.
Put the new model on every new creature they put in the game.
This way, there will be loads of options model-wise and colourwise. I think diversity is good.

Making existing creatures change in a fashion you don't recognize them anymore, like they did with many npcs and playermodels already, is lazy and bad.
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Teigan wrote:I actually haven't gotten the impression that they are, as you seem to think, universally hated.
I'm getting that impression more than you are.. I don't think I've seen one positive comment on the skins, not even from Wain.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It's not lazy if they're using time and resources to create these new models with the purpose of modernizing the graphics of WoW. Several of the old models have been around since launch - some were even ported from Warcraft 3. Compared to models made within the last couple of xpacs and BfA, they look terrible. It's true that the colors can and should be tweaked to better align with the old ones, but that doesn't mean that the old models should remain in older content.

For new players, they may be turned off by seeing 13+ year-old models in the game. It makes the game look current and fresh when the models are new. Not everyone will be happy with the new models, but there isn't a way to make everyone happy. There will always be that one person who will be unhappy with the results. Blizz has to go with the majority and, with these models, I think most people just want the colors to be tweaked.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

SlickrockGhost wrote:
Teigan wrote:I actually haven't gotten the impression that they are, as you seem to think, universally hated.
I'm getting that impression more than you are.. I don't think I've seen one positive comment on the skins, not even from Wain.
I have seen tons of positive response. Usually the negative response is either from people who don't like anything about the new models (there aren't many of these people), or it is about how the colors on a particular new model doesn't match with the old model that it is a replacement for.

Either way, Petopia isn't the entirety of the Hunter community. Unless we can get a poll from every single Hunter that is currently playing WoW, we can't really say. Even still, it is a waste of time and resources to just toss out these models.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

SlickrockGhost wrote:
I'll just leave this here.

http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 60&t=25234
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Personally I love the changes and updates-I just haven't seen a point to post about it as most post just seem to be people venting their frustrations over changes that they individually dislike.

You really need to remember, that while Petopia is a great community and a wonderful hunter resource, not every hunter in WoW uses this site. To think Petopia users represent the majority of hunters out there is just silly.
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

Lamiara wrote:on existing creatures?
yes, why not.
Put the new model on every new creature they put in the game.
This way, there will be loads of options model-wise and colourwise. I think diversity is good.

Making existing creatures change in a fashion you don't recognize them anymore, like they did with many npcs and playermodels already, is lazy and bad.
Just because it was updated in a way that doesn't suite someone's particular outlook on it does not equate something to being bad nor lazy. I've already went on a massive spew about how calling the artists 'lazy' is poor and misused wording when talking about any of these models or their textures.

Having models from 2004 can also in itself be bad for a game that's trying to keep up with current gaming standards. And they did just that with New Models only being on New Creatures for a very long time. To a point it was nearly painful to look at some of the older models, let alone see a hunter even bothering to use one. It's what's ultimately led to the dev team looking back at these old models and deciding they needed an uplift to bring the game as a whole up to date to stay competitive with other, newer games coming out.

----

Honestly, besides one or two people who just don't like any of the models at ALL, all I've really seen is complaints on color. Something which is far easier to fix then trying to get the model itself altered or redone. And of most of those complaints, they're usually complaints about the colors not being 1:1 with the old models. There could be a change in the direction of the art style as to why certain things are changing the way they are. Now, that isn't to say that it's not outside of the realm of possibility for hunters to ASK NICELY to have either extra skins made that are closer to the originals or ask for alterations. Personally, I'd like to just see extra skins made that look closer to the ones being pointed at the most for their sudden shift.

People also tend to use these forums as a place to vent frustrations with like minded people. What we end up seeing is a lot of raw emotions over things like this because lots of people have personal attachments to the things that are changing. So if something isn't liked, people are gonna vent about it.

Either way, us giving our -constructive- (and I can't stress this enough) criticism, that's all we can really do.

The models to me are fine. Most colors are fine. Do they need MORE colors or tweaks? Sure! But other then that, I'm loving most of the updates.
Last edited by Thwip on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Aroim
Pet Finder

Unread post by Aroim »

Well, I don´t understand what's supposed to be so terrible about the new models, I think they're all very well done and I'd rather take beautiful new beasts than old, outdated and pixelated beasts. maybe not with the colors they originally had but hey .. I can live with that.
The game changes, live with it or leave it.
That's my opinion, I think Blizzard did a great job.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Aroim wrote:Well, I don´t understand what's supposed to be so terrible about the new models, I think they're all very well done and I'd rather take beautiful new beasts than old, outdated and pixelated beasts. maybe not with the colors they originally had but hey .. I can live with that.
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Aroim wrote:Well, I don´t understand what's supposed to be so terrible about the new models, I think they're all very well done and I'd rather take beautiful new beasts than old, outdated and pixelated beasts. maybe not with the colors they originally had but hey .. I can live with that.
SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Thwip wrote: People also tend to use these forums as a place to vent frustrations with like minded people. What we end up seeing is a lot of raw emotions over things like this because lots of people have personal attachments to the things that are changing. So if something isn't liked, people are gonna vent about it.

Either way, us giving our -constructive- (and I can't stress this enough) criticism, that's all we can really do.

The models to me are fine. Most colors are fine. Do they need MORE colors or tweaks? Sure! But other then that, I'm loving most of the updates.
And that kinda gets to my point.

There are so many positives in these changes, but I feel anything positive is getting drowned out in the endless rants on dull colors..