Revert all model and color changes for existing creatures?

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Should Blizz revert all model changes, and update nothing?

yes
12%
no
88%

Total votes: 42

Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Re: Revert all model and color changes for existing creature

Unread post by Thwip »

That's kinda why I said that I'd like to see ~additionals~. (That would be the best case scenario in my mind.) Cause I actually like a lot of the colors that are up right now!

Would I tame one of the pink stegodons if it was included instead of the rusty red? Probably not. But at the same time, whar green go?

It's some of those things that I'm personally like 'Hrm...'. And while others are saying the purple hyena is terrible and it needs adjusting, I've spent my time hunting up Snort and adding him to my stable as a pre-update tame because I'm -that- excited for the update and -that- color. Often times when reading this forum, I feel like the only one. However, I can understand that people are personally not happy with X thing because it affects their game in one way or another.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

SlickrockGhost
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Everywhere

Unread post by SlickrockGhost »

Thwip wrote:....nd while others are saying the purple hyena is terrible and it needs adjusting, I've spent my time hunting up Snort and adding him to my stable as a pre-update tame because I'm -that- excited for the update and -that- color. Often times when reading this forum, I feel like the only one. However,
Said it elsewhere.. but the old models kept me far away from hyenas.. BfA could change that. :geek:
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Agreed, Slick. I would never consider taming the old Hyena, but I will probably tame the new one.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've had loads of positive things to say about new skins. Everything mentioned in the official pages and in tweets is my writing and I've kept that very positive.

I am very critical on this forum (not as Petopia on twitter) when updated appearances bear little resemblance to the originals, because Hunters are stuck with something alien to them on their pets they've had for years, and I don't believe someone should shut up and be satisfied just because work was put in when they'd be better off if nothing was done at all. If the chef, unasked, replaces my cheap burger order with an expensive lobster then I'm going to be frustrated, because I don't like seafood and I'm worse off than before. I wonder if the designers swapping these in might have the opposite idea.

But as Thwip says, 99% of that is texture and not model. And the majority of that is simply because the textures are slated for replacements, and I wouldn't offer anything critical if they weren't (just a couple I would... I still believe that red hyena is just poorly textured, someone threw a bucket of paint on it).
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

I don't think they should be removed at all, just that some colors are a bit off to some people. Though to me the one and only color that I'm absolutely not happy about is for the wind serpent, the white scale one with light purple feathers, why is it turning into brown scale with white feathers? Though it is a nice color and should be kept and added to the game, they should add a color on the new model that is white scale with light purple feathers to match the original one.

I just can't wrap my head as to why someone thought it was a good idea to make some colors NOT the same as what was on the original models. I'm not talking about duller colors but ones that don't match at all like what I said above. Like, I think there's a green stegodon that will change to brown? Why? I mean at least one person at Blizzard should see this isn't a good idea, right? Unless no one there remembers the huge shit storm that happened when they just swapped the color for Rak'Shiri a few years back.

But no they should really keep the new models they're well made IMHO, just adjust the most blatantly un-matching colors.
ImageImage
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I love the new models, I think most are quite successful updates.
However that shouldn't stop me from being critical of how some of the colours simply don't come even near to the models they are supposed to replace.
The two that personally affect me the most, since they are two of my favourites, are the mirror crab (which does not look mirror anymore) and the white Wind Serpent, which is about as far from "white" as you can get without going black.
I appreciate when the colours are vibrant, I'm colourblind and bright colours help me see them better.
I dislike that so many games go for the washed out, almost grey-scale, look that they consider "realistic". I'm sorry, but when I look out my window I do NOT see the world in shades of grey.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

The prospect of having my Hyena converted into that "thing" they are calling an updated Hyena model fills me with unimaginable sorrow.
Honestly I really wish that they would get someone who actually gives a shit about hyena's to do the models. The bulbous neck and pasted on side ears makes it look more like a cartoon character in the midst of getting filled up with helium.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Sarynotsorry
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Sarynotsorry »

I love the updates. And I’m willing to bet that 9 out of 10 complainers don’t even play with the old models they’re mourning (y’know, because the old models are garbage and needed updated).

Edited to add: I do understand the sadness on some of the colors not really matching. I’m hoping they will add some that are more faithful to the originals, but I’m okay if they don’t.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Sarynotsorry wrote:I love the updates. And I’m willing to bet that 9 out of 10 complainers don’t even play with the old models they’re mourning (y’know, because the old models are garbage and needed updated).

Edited to add: I do understand the sadness on some of the colors not really matching. I’m hoping they will add some that are more faithful to the originals, but I’m okay if they don’t.
I think you'd be surprised. Many of us are very attached to using the same pets we've had for years, even if they're old models, and tame the newer ones for fun, or secondaries. My main pet is still my old-model white bear, and there's no way I'd switch to the newer one, which is dull white and looks nothing like it. A lot of our community are like that. And as you added, it's not about not wanting polygon updates, it's about the cases that look vastly different to our current ones. I'd love for my old bear to get a more faithful update but it's unlikely to ever happen now.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Makoes wrote:The prospect of having my Hyena converted into that "thing" they are calling an updated Hyena model fills me with unimaginable sorrow.
Honestly I really wish that they would get someone who actually gives a shit about hyena's to do the models. The bulbous neck and pasted on side ears makes it look more like a cartoon character in the midst of getting filled up with helium.

I could not agree more. .though i don't play anymore hyenas had so much personality in their old models

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

The Beetle is a massive improvement, but I want to see more colors. I demand more colors!
The Vultures are great, but Zaricotl needs a fixed texture. The black tips are missing still.
I LOVE the new crabs, and especially love how the metal crabs don't have that disgusting white web texture anymore.
The Gorillas are the most amusing update, as they're mostly on point, but those huge brows just sell the models for me. I love it.
The Hyenas got the most deserved update, and I really enjoy how they look. Their animations need tweaking to get rid of that clipping though.
Both Mechanicals are AMAZING upgrades. Like, give the guy who designed them a raise.
The Scalehides look great, though I can see why some people dislike the loss of overly saturated colors. Black one is amazing though.
All of the Spiders got wonderful updates, especially the tarantulas. I just hate how the white tarantulas don't have blind eyes anymore.
The Wind Serpents got a much needed fix to their awful models. I love the new black especially. Can't wait for them to show the REAL white replacement.

If I had to voice one complaint though, it's the lack of a new model for Lynxes. They're literally the exact same thing as the Night Elf cat form (go check model viewer, tell me I'm wrong!), so why haven't they been updated?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Probably because they aren't being used in BfA (as of right now) and were only used in TBC. I would love if we got a proper lynx, but I can see why it isn't a priority for Blizz right now.
Sarynotsorry
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Sarynotsorry »

Wain wrote:
Sarynotsorry wrote:I love the updates. And I’m willing to bet that 9 out of 10 complainers don’t even play with the old models they’re mourning (y’know, because the old models are garbage and needed updated).

I think you'd be surprised. Many of us are very attached to using the same pets we've had for years, even if they're old models, and tame the newer ones for fun, or secondaries. My main pet is still my old-model white bear, and there's no way I'd switch to the newer one, which is dull white and looks nothing like it. A lot of our community are like that. And as you added, it's not about not wanting polygon updates, it's about the cases that look vastly different to our current ones. I'd love for my old bear to get a more faithful update but it's unlikely to ever happen now.
Oh I understand this. I’ve been on this forum for almost ten years and I get it. But the folks who are regularly using the original hyenas and wind serpents are still more of the 1 in 10 crowd. And I totally understand those folks being bummed - I’d feel pretty heartbroken too. My point was more that I feel there’s a good chance that a lot of the negativity we’re hearing about the new models (not just here) is from folks who realistically won’t even be effected by it. Kind of an, “oh I liked those in theory and they’re different now and I’m mad” type deal.

Edited to add: I was bummed with the bear updates too. The personality is so different. The original white bear has a place in my heart for sure. The head shape was, to me, really on point and the update missed the mark. So I really do understand people being bummed and I’m not trying to discount or invalidate that.
ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: stormrage

Unread post by ilixirshy »

should just do the same thing they did for the bears. leave some, like rares, old model and the rest new models. i like the new models/upgrades just not so happy with color changes like the white wind serpent and also the loss of the rosettes on the hyenas.

signature by spiritbinder
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That would be the ideal solution if it weren't for the fact that there are so many old models being replaced. It was just bears last time. This time it is beetles, hyenas, wind serpents, gorillas, diemetrodons, thunder lizards, etc. Could they make a rare for the dozens of old models? Sure, anything is possible, but realistically I don't see that happening.
ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

or an option at the stable master thats similar to the show new character models under system > advanced

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That isn't a bad idea. It might take some work, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be possible :)
ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

just coming up with ideas. this situation isnt fair, time wise, to both parties. time spent by blizz to try and give us better pets, make us happy and time spent by players who have played since vanilla or tbc and have kept and still play with their same companions (older models). a lot of the replacements dont feel the same (when did i tame this beast?) and for me personally messes up some tmogs i have that match my pets. i do hope though that some (all?) of our issues get solved. reverting and doing nothing though isnt it.

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

ilixirshy wrote:should just do the same thing they did for the bears. leave some, like rares, old model and the rest new models. i like the new models/upgrades just not so happy with color changes like the white wind serpent and also the loss of the rosettes on the hyenas.
Something like this is quite plausible. Maybe not as an individual rare for each skin, but as a rare (or something like it) that could spawn any of the old skins. For example, off the coast of somewhere, there could be a few crab traps on the sea floor. When a player did something to open them, they could spawn a crab with a random old skin. A hunter could tame that crab and keep that skin (so a different npcid per skin, but all with the same name). The traps' respawn rate would determine how long it would take someone to farm the skin they wanted. It could work with other families too. Leave some carrion out in a bone pile, and a random hyena or vulture shows up. Break open some spider eggs around the temple to Shadra in Hinterland. There wouldn't need to be a rare for each retired skin, just one spawn per updated family, with random skins.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That isn't a bad way to go about it, Xota :) It then just comes down to whether Blizz would be willing to do those sorts of things.