[request] Please change Rylaks' and Hippogryff's animation

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

[request] Please change Rylaks' and Hippogryff's animation

Unread post by pop »

I really love Rylaks but their grounded running and attack animation really annoys me, that I can't bring myself in having my pet Rylak out.

With the recent announcement of Mag'har Orcs to be playable, I think it's the perfect time to fix Rylak's running and attacking animations.

My request is to make Rylaks would use their flying animation when it is running and when in combat or attacking a target. This would make Rylak more menacing rather than it waddles on the ground like a clipped bat.

I would not mind if this animation change requires toggle but I rather it would passively be on the ground when our character is walking or out of combat but flying when our character is mounted or running or in combat.

I would also love these changes applied to Hippogryffs as well.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: [request] Please change Rylaks' and Hippogryff's animati

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I agree with everything you posted. However, this request would be much more effective on the Alpha forums than on here. More likely to be seen by Blizz :)
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Valnaaros wrote:I agree with everything you posted. However, this request would be much more effective on the Alpha forums than on here. More likely to be seen by Blizz :)
I'm not on the alpha unfortunately.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I'll go ahead and post it for you if you don't mind :)
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Valnaaros wrote:I'll go ahead and post it for you if you don't mind :)
please do
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Alright! Just posted on the Alpha forums. Can view it here :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

If pterrordaxes become tameable I'm wondering if they'll suffer from the same issue. So great that you brought it up :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I like the toggle idea. Especially if it works when mounted. I don't want them scuttling around all the time, especially when I'm riding around. But I don't want them flappy-in-the-way all the time either. I'd hate for someone to die in a M+ because a prison crystal couldn't be clicked on because of giant wings in the way. Plus in BGs, it feels like my chimera dies faster than other pets. Sometimes you want to look menacing, like to discourage someone from messing with you. But sometimes I want my pet to be overlooked and underestimated.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

The broken-winged flopping is why I don't have a rylak. I'd love to see that changed. I'd love to see the other changes, like with hippogryphs and gryphons too.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Valnaaros wrote:Alright! Just posted on the Alpha forums. Can view it here :)
Awesome, ty for the thread! <3
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Wain wrote:If pterrordaxes become tameable I'm wondering if they'll suffer from the same issue. So great that you brought it up :)
IMHO Hippogriff should get the Wolfhawk treatment because they look fine running but looks even better flying in combat.

Rylaks and Pterodaxxes however always look better when they fly.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I feel like I'm going against the flow by saying that I don't really mind the rylak and hippogryph animations on the ground, but I'd much prefer a toggle option as opposed to an outright change, personally. I quite like the attack animations of both on the ground. Rylaks, in particular, are so large that, unless they were shrunk a considerable amount, the wings would be absolutely huge and always clipping through your character, or they'd need to be a mile away from your character to prevent it.

All in all; I'd rather have a toggle, but I understand why people would want the animations changed. It's just a matter of personal preference at this point.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

@Pop Happy to help! :)

A toggle would be a nice compromise. Those who want to change between their flying and ground animations would have the freedom to do so, but those that are happy with how they are currently could just ignore the toggle and leave them be.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

pop wrote:
Wain wrote:If pterrordaxes become tameable I'm wondering if they'll suffer from the same issue. So great that you brought it up :)
IMHO Hippogriff should get the Wolfhawk treatment because they look fine running but looks even better flying in combat.

Rylaks and Pterodaxxes however always look better when they fly.
I agree same with Gryphons. I'd love to have them as pets but don't understand why the normal ones fly and the spirit one runs (which I prefer). I wanted to have the black one as hati with my spirit gryphon but it just looks weird :?

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Scapegoat
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Scapegoat »

I'm a buzzkill and prefer my Rylaks and Hippogryffes/Featherwings in general to use their walking animations as much as possible (though for Dash I think it'd be appropriate if they got off the ground)... I'd use my Chimera more if he could land! I kinda wish most of the birds could land while our avatars weren't moving too, though, watchin' 'em makes me feel bad for their lil wings!

That said, I wouldn't want to stop people that prefer their critters to always be flying from getting the option to do so!

Sort of a weird way to get past a manual/hunter-discretion "toggle" if that's something Blizz is against for whatever reason, they could opt for "flying petID tames" and "walking petID tames" maybe... Since many different Mob IDs share the same skins, they could take a shortcut and have same mobs tame flying and some tame walking, so hunters could pick one or the other and nobody would have to miss out regardless of their preference! A toggle would be a lot more convenient though, even if it was just an NPC like the druids have to toggle between their Flight forms. :| Especially insofar as rare mobs that don't share a common skin are concerned.
Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Unread post by Flyra »

Rylak pets do actually have the ability to fly. During the flight phase in TotFW I've seen my Rylak fly so it shouldn't be a hard change to make!

I know it could seem he's standing but trust me - he flies! I don't know if they do it anymore now that Stampede is changed though.

I enjoy seeing my Rylak run along the ground and I love the toggle idea but what really bothers me is when you use their Updraft ability to slow fall they 100% should be able to fly with you. Instead they just awkwardly teleport/run/merge through things. Hippogryphs have the same ability so it would be fitting that they also got to fly during this too. :D

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Scapegoat wrote:I'm a buzzkill and prefer my Rylaks and Hippogryffes/Featherwings in general to use their walking animations as much as possible (though for Dash I think it'd be appropriate if they got off the ground)... I'd use my Chimera more if he could land! I kinda wish most of the birds could land while our avatars weren't moving too, though, watchin' 'em makes me feel bad for their lil wings!

That said, I wouldn't want to stop people that prefer their critters to always be flying from getting the option to do so!

Sort of a weird way to get past a manual/hunter-discretion "toggle" if that's something Blizz is against for whatever reason, they could opt for "flying petID tames" and "walking petID tames" maybe... Since many different Mob IDs share the same skins, they could take a shortcut and have same mobs tame flying and some tame walking, so hunters could pick one or the other and nobody would have to miss out regardless of their preference! A toggle would be a lot more convenient though, even if it was just an NPC like the druids have to toggle between their Flight forms. :| Especially insofar as rare mobs that don't share a common skin are concerned.
IMHO the toggle can pet family's special ability; Toggle Flight Form/Ground Form/mixed form. I mean cats have prowl, bears have hibernate, Birds of Prey can learn Trick, so would be awesome if Rylaks have the toggle as their special ability too.
Last edited by pop on Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scapegoat
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Scapegoat »

That would be ideal! I don't know why I feel like Blizz would be more inclined to bend over backwards and do locomotion-style-by-ID than just... add an active stance toggle spell to the feathermane family which would be a lot simpler. Not sure if pessimistic or just underestimating the way they think, hahaha.