Butterflies!

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Zoruaronan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Butterflies!

Unread post by Zoruaronan »

i looked onto warcraft pets an found some new butterfly models! I think they could make new moths.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Butterflies!

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm actually the one who took those model shots for WCP, and in my opinion the butterflies are just too low of a resolution to work as hunter pets. They're definitely meant to be critters and stay at a small size, there's no detail put into them when you start to get close.

If you zoom in on them at all you'll see how quickly the texture becomes pixellized and messy. I know there was the weird case of the caterpillar grubs in MoP, but I really don't see them doing that again, and these butterflies are even smaller.

Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (361.58 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
Image2.png
Image2.png (547.41 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
Image3.png
Image3.png (331.54 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

It's a shame that the textures are too low res. Would add some nice variation to the Moth family.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Agreeed, I've been hoping for a new butterfly/moth model for a long time, so I was sad when it turned out that these are lower res. Hopefully one day. And while these are a really lovely design, hopefully they'll come in more variations than just monochrome ones.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Zoruaronan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Zoruaronan »

Even if they are low rez they can still be pets i mean look at the old bears there ugly but they can still be pets
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That was a different time. Most models back then were low quality, especially compared to now.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I'd tame a killer butterfly.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I would to. Such a missed opportunity!
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah, they have really nice designs and I was hoping they'd be a new addition to the moth family - until I saw the models up close. :(
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Reminder that we can tame a critter already; the absurdly low-res caterpillars! They look absolutely horrible when scaled up, but they're fun pets anyway. Second reminder that Moths have really low-res wings and bodies. Butterflies wouldn't be too much of a stretch considering the...dated quality of those two as prime examples.

Plus, we need new moths anyway. Were due for another 10+ recolors.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Moths aren't really the best example, since they are around 10 years old. It's not like they came out within the past couple of years. Caterpillars are low-res, true, but that doesn't mean that low-res should be acceptable with new models that aren't small.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The silkworms were brought up earlier - they were an exception to the rule at the time (Pandaria) and not meant to be a precedent. They were only mistakenly made tameable in the beta, and were left tameable just for fun. The porcupines were much the same.

The new butterfly texture is actually 1/4 of the size of the old moth one. So, despite the model's age, it's still a much better resolution.

They may still make the butterflies tameable, and they'll be a fun pet if they are, but there are reasons to doubt it would happen.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Wain wrote:The silkworms were brought up earlier - they were an exception to the rule at the time (Pandaria) and not meant to be a precedent. They were only mistakenly made tameable in the beta, and were left tameable just for fun. The porcupines were much the same.

The new butterfly texture is actually 1/4 of the size of the old moth one. So, despite the model's age, it's still a much better resolution.

They may still make the butterflies tameable, and they'll be a fun pet if they are, but there are reasons to doubt it would happen.
If the file size is smaller, it is possible that they have an upscaled set of textures in their database too.
Not saying it's likely, but it is possible.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Qraljar wrote:
Wain wrote:The silkworms were brought up earlier - they were an exception to the rule at the time (Pandaria) and not meant to be a precedent. They were only mistakenly made tameable in the beta, and were left tameable just for fun. The porcupines were much the same.

If the file size is smaller, it is possible that they have an upscaled set of textures in their database too.
Not saying it's likely, but it is possible.
I'm hoping that too :)
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

A butterfly would be a weird hunter pet, but no weirder than moths. My moth is named "Wordperfect", I'd love to upgrade it to the butterfly it is supposed to be. I hope at least they're made minipets. I want a quantum weather butterfly!
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Image :lol: :mrgreen:

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Honestly, if we can get Caterpillars that are insanely low resolution (Even if they were originally a bug that we got to keep cause we asked), then I don't see why we couldn't have butterflies.

They're gorgeous, and I'd gladly give up one of my precious stable slots for one.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Caterpillars were an exception. Just because something happened once does not mean it should happen again. I'm not against tamable butterflies, but am against butterflies that are low-res.