Demon dogs in BFA

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Demon dogs in BFA

Unread post by Teigan »

I don't know how to feel about the changes. They're gorgeous, true to the original updates that I've wanted to for a long time. If they had just left them on the proper skeleton, I'd be overjoyed, 1000% satisfied.

How do they feel, to you guys, on the coyote skeleton? I think that they lose ALOT of their creepy feel and uniqueness. Their animations made them special, and were really quite perfect. The little idle hops, the fact that they attack with their front paws like a cat, the idle stance, the head-down, straight-backed run. Seeing them flailing around when the run like the coyotes do is not the same. Watching them sniff and scratch like some dog takes away from what they are.

Basically, sure, they're pretty, but they've lost their souls.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Demon dogs in BFA

Unread post by Bowno »

Its really sad. My Panda has a Darkhound that I've fallen in so much love with. When ever I look at him now though.. I feel horribly sad that he'll never be the same.
Sure, he's ugly. Yes, he does need a model update.. But his proud, tall stance and the smug "I'M GOING TO FUCK YOU UP" run he does when he charges after something. It just really gives him personality. He's a little ball of fire.. But now? Now he's going to be just another faceless canine in the crowd.
I know it's just animations... But... It really does ruin what character they had :c

I dunno what I'm going to do with him once the change hits live.

Gonna miss the old you, Baku :c

Siggy under construction!

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I really like the new model. It is a real shame that we're losing the old animations (I loved them), but aside from that I really like the new model. Due to how outdated the Dark Hound model was, I would never consider taming one. But, like many other beasts being updated in BfA, I probably will now.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

The model textures, colours, and everything else are wonderful. I feel the artist did a great job in making sure to stay faithful to the originals.

The coyote skeleton really sours it for me, however. :( I used to wish they'd use that skeleton more because it has some really nice fluid animations even to this day, but now I fear they're using it too much. It's making a lot of unique creatures that once stood apart from each other feel more homogenized. It's better than the broken leg worg skeleton, but I don't see why they can't keep the demon dog one on the wild creatures at least (I understand why they used it for the mount). I mean, even in Legion they're using the hell hounds on that skeleton so it's obvious they don't mind it.

The demon dog skeleton wasn't perfect of course, none of the Vanilla rigs are, but it had so much more character than the coyote one. The change in posture gives them a completely different mood now. They don't feel like a demonic hound any more, just another run of the mill canine. It's disappointing to say the least. I doubt it's going to change so I suppose I'll just live with it, but I wish they'd take a bit of time and either make a couple new skeletons or spread them out more so we don't keep seeing the same one used over and over. :(
Last edited by Vephriel on Thu May 03, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

Same as all of you. I love this new model, really, it's great, the colors are good, the artists did a very good job. And I intensely dislike the new (or rather re-used) skeleton. Their jumpy animation and way of moving was one of the big charms of the demon dogs, and now it's lost...
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I felt the original was too weak and wimpy looking. Like, it didn't feel like a beast, just some ugly monster. The new ones, using a ferocious canine posture, look better in my eyes. I just kind of wish we'd move away from the complete global saturation that Wesker would approve of, and give them some duller, more intimidating tones. Hell, a little contrast boost on some skins would make them so much more impressive.

I'm going to use a red one. I've already tamed Rokad the Ravager in preparation.
ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: stormrage

Unread post by ilixirshy »

i am going to miss their german shepard stance the most but also their small hops and their demon like faces with the teeth showing snout. has anyone seen or know anything about the runed demon dogs?

signature by spiritbinder
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

ilixirshy wrote:i am going to miss their german shepard stance the most but also their small hops and their demon like faces with the teeth showing snout. has anyone seen or know anything about the runed demon dogs?
No new models for them yet, and no idea if there will be. They still use their current model in the beta.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Hopefully they will do for them what they did for the bears and leave some as old models. :| :mrgreen:

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I just want them on the old skeleton. Anyone know if something made for the coyote skeleton could be put on that? Is that even a possibility?
ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

my best friend is a blue runed demon dog. i hope they dont change :cry:

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

I'm with what the majority here has said. I think appearance-wise, its a wonderful model update that's really true to the originals (for the most part). However, I think it's a shame they've been put on the Coyote skeleton. I always thought it was part of their distinct style and being the way they hunkered down and charged at enemies or stood straight up when idle. I would've definitely picked one up in BfA had they left it on the dog skeleton and not the coyote.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

ilixirshy wrote:my best friend is a blue runed demon dog. i hope they dont change :cry:
There's no sign of updates to the glowing runed ones, yet, but it seems likely to happen at some point. It's a shame the darkhound rigging isn't so true to the original but hopefully they'll tweak it a bit before they adapt it for a rune hound model. Hopefully the artist who produced the darkhound skins gets to work on them as they're some of the most true to the originals they've done.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

I find this pretty disheartening, personally, as I've grown to absolutely despise the coyote skeleton because of how much it's been reused and because of how awful the running animation is. Blizzard needs to stop taking the lazy way out and dropping such unique riggings whenever they update models. :/ I love how much of a personality the demon dogs have currently, going from cute, hyper puppies when idle to serious business fighters who attack like cats when in combat. I'll probably keep the two runed demon dogs I have if they do indeed end up changed as well, but they probably won't see much use anymore and that is soul-crushing, as I've had and used Trailblaze avidly since Wrath and I hate the thought of her going from being bouncy to being flea-ridden. I'm in 100% agreement with the OP in that these unique dogs will be losing their souls once this change is made and it's a huge shame because the updated models for the solid-colored demon dogs are absolutely gorgeous.

I'll miss you, my babies. :(
Attachments
TophTrailblaze.jpg
TophTrailblaze.jpg (240.24 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
LunaieÉsotérique2.jpg
LunaieÉsotérique2.jpg (433.87 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Unread post by Flyra »

I love the new model and will probably be taming one but I don't think it should replace the old model. The Demon Dogs to me have always felt like a "proper" dog with the way they bound forwards and wiggle about. Also their grins are so iconic and the new ones don't have the creepy grin and look more like punk rock wolves in comparison. :(

Do you think they'll have tameable rares with the old model?

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It's possible, though I doubt it due to how many beasts are getting updated models. The only thing that has a reasonable chance of happening is Blizz implementing a mob that can spawn as any of the possible variants.
ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

has anyone in beta seen/tamed the fiery brown darkhound?

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I've looked around extensively and haven't seen it. It's possible that it isn't in yet, is in an expedition, is in the Dark Iron scenario, or it's in a place that I didn't search.
ilixirshy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

tyvm <3

Valnaaros
Pet Finder