Horned steed [Stag] tameability

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Pewmew
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: aegwynn

Re: Horned steed [Stag] tameability

Unread post by Pewmew »

Vephriel wrote:
Stormshred wrote:How did you guys get to the broken isles to get the unicorns? I can't seem to find a way to get there to tame these guys.
I had to find a mage to port me - if you ask in Trade/General chat usually you can find a friendly person who will make a portal for you. You can also create a mage character yourself, go learn the Dalaran portal from a trainer, and manipulate the group finder to add yourself on your hunter and make a portal for them.
Thanks for the info. I was about to ask about getting to the Broken Isles myself...
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks for that info, Veph! It was really handy.

The portal trainer guy is in the cleft of shadow in Org. Took me a bit to find which one it was. Once you summon the portal you don't have very long before it closes, so be quick in switching toons.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Pewmew
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Pewmew »

And once in BI Dalaran don't forget to ask one of the innkeepers for a Dalaran hearthstone.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

You can get a Dalaran Hearthstone from an Innkeeper? Not just setting your hearth there? Neat!
Pewmew
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Pewmew »

Yep. It's a separate hearthstone from your primary.

On my beta main I also did the WoD intro for the garrison hearthstone.
Nanluin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Nanluin »

Hello Wain,

As an update to the database, the Tormented Shadowrunner:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id=horse2_dark

actually scales from 99-110, not the 102-110 listed.

As a recent returnee to WoW, I've been leveling my Main, a very long-time Beastmaster Hunter rather than taking the boost for him (I boosted an Alt to see the World Events instead). As such, I finally hit Legion and the Broken Isles this Labor Day weekend. While I normally only try to collect unique-skinned rares, the new 'unicorns' were just too pretty to pass up. I tamed a Wild Dreamrunner at level 98, and a Tormented Shadowrunner at level 99 when I reached the place in the story-line where they were supposed to be nearby (during the defense of the Temple of Elune). They might even scale from level 98.

I'm also wondering if Somber Dawn might be a new hunter taming challenge, similar to Gara in Shadowmoon Valley? From what I have read, the breadcrumbs there were incredibly meager, and it took a very concerted effort to figure it out. Could this be something similar?

-- Nanluin

Addendum: for those who remember Everquest, Somber Dawn reminds of Equestrielle the Corrupted, an Epic level Unicorn that used to terrorize soloing players in The Lesser Faydark:

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Equestrielle_the_Corrupted
Last edited by Nanluin on Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Fixed. Thanks :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Somber Dawn isn't listed as tamable in the DB, nor has there been anything Datamined that would indicate that it could possibly be tamable. With Gara, there were things datamined that led us to believe that there was some sort of way to tame her.
Tomb
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Tomb »

Charlie is untamable (since he is dead).
Gasp!
Nanluin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nanluin »

Nanluin wrote:Addendum: for those who remember Everquest 2, Somber Dawn reminds me of Equestrielle the Corrupted, an Epic level Unicorn that used to terrorize soloing players in The Lesser Faydark:

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Equestrielle_the_Corrupted
Having made steady progress in my return to WoW, I recently reached the Legion endgame and decided not to leave until I had the Class Mount and could tame Feathermanes. As such, I went looking for Somber Dawn this evening (out of curiosity, as I am still level 111, not Somber Dawn's level 112), to check on the unlikely chance that he was now tamable. Answer: Nope!

As I indicated above, this beast is very likely a nod to the old Everquest 2 mob "Equestrielle the Corrupted", with very much the same setup as in EQ2: You are questing in a perma-dark, scary area with a thick hostile population, and then, out of nowhere, a black, elite unicorn "nightmare" comes galloping up to stomp on you for a bit.

Back in my EQ2 days, Equestrielle kicked my butt, as the EQ2 developers sometimes put high level nasties into low-level zones for the "avoidance challenge", but this time, I was looking for Somber Dawn, spotted him galloping by once on the Minimap, and when he came around again I ice-trapped him, dismissed my pet, and tried for the tame. The error message I got was not "Creature is too high level for you to tame", but was instead simply "Creature cannot be tamed". Beast Lore reported the same "untamable" status. <sigh> As such, I pulled Shadow (Myonix) back out again and we tackled the nightmare unicorn, with the result that she dropped a gloves upgrade for me.

-- Nanluin, demonstrating what we already knew.

P.S. When someone referred earlier to "Charlie", I had no idea what they were talking about. However, when going through my Azsuna quest chains, I found the tragic tableau of Charlie, the Devious Sunrunner, and the Sinister Leyrunner completely by accident up in the hills, and had no idea what the heck I was looking at. I later found the Youtube video from whence this Easter Egg came. Seriously?! They put *that* in the game?!
Nanluin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nanluin »

Under the category of "Can't Let it Go":

After hitting level 112+, this weekend I tried out this notion I had that the gorgeous Black w/Red Unicorn "Somber Dawn" might possibly be tamable exactly at Server Dawn / Sunrise Time (5:30 PST for all North American servers), and that the clue was in his name. So I found a good camping spot and watched him run his 1-minute long circuit until just before 05:30 PST, whereupon I Freezing Trapped him and tried for the tame at the minute of sunrise.

Alas, t'was not to be the case, and I got the standard "This Creature Cannot be Tamed" red error message. So I feigned death and let him go out of my freezing trap. It was a fun thought.

-- Nanluin
Nanluin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nanluin »

Somber Dawn tamed on Shadow Council!

Thank you, Hunter-friendly developers for this early Christmas gift, and also for restoring my old Karkin back to a very attractive chrome-plated skin (with red gem).

-- Nanluin

Breesah
Realm: Zul´jin

Unread post by Breesah »

I´m flying around the island for over and hour and half, and haven´t been able to see it. Using track beast and NPCSCan. Is not crowded, and there are no alliances around. I just seem weird, it used to be so easy to spot him running around...
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Breesah wrote:I´m flying around the island for over and hour and half, and haven´t been able to see it. Using track beast and NPCSCan. Is not crowded, and there are no alliances around. I just seem weird, it used to be so easy to spot him running around...
He's not always spawned! He's on a rotation with world quests I believe, or something to that effect. If he's not up try again in a few hours.
Breesah
Realm: Zul´jin

Unread post by Breesah »

Vephriel wrote: He's not always spawned! He's on a rotation with world quests I believe, or something to that effect. If he's not up try again in a few hours.
Oh There´s that... of course. There´s a WQ up right now.

Thank you! I´m just gonna let my troll little ass parked here for when the WQ´s reset then ^^