Have we lost specing our pet forever?

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
lilaughingwolf
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Zul'gin

Have we lost specing our pet forever?

Unread post by lilaughingwolf »

I am very sorry if this was covered already, I tried to go threw all the posts and see but didn't find anything.

But, have we lost the ability to spec our pets to what we like to run with them as? It is going to really hurt a few of my favorite pets I use as regulars. Bear SB = tank, Purple core hound = tank ....these are not regular tenacity pets so loosing being able to spec them as such is going to hurt :(
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Have we lost specing our pet forever?

Unread post by Valnaaros »

There was a thread about it, but it was several months ago. Yes, we are unable to switch pet specs. However, all of the pet specs will have the same damage, health, and armor. They will all be viable for any content.
Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Unread post by Flyra »

Why have they done this? Are you sure it won't have an impact? I don't understand why they don't just remove all the specs entirely if they're gonna do this. I'm constantly switching my Rylak between tenacity and ferocity so I can use him whenever. ;_;

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

There is a blue post here that goes into why. And, as of right now, I'm fairly sure that it won't have an impact. I've played with a variety of pets in the Alpha and Beta, and there haven't been any significant differences between them. A ferocity is just as survivable as a tenacity. A cunning does as much damage as a ferocity. You can use all three in dungeons without any issues. I would read the blue post, though. Goes into it a lot more :)
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Bendak has a good overview on his blog as well: http://eyesofthebeast.com/2018/04/guide ... r-azeroth/
Tammo
Realm: Blade's-Edge EU

Unread post by Tammo »

Damage wise it should not have any impact, just changes the stuff you bring to the group. So get one of each 3 atleast with you that you love and if you are bm a spiritbeast im currently thinking.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do with the family table on the Petopia index page. The families used to be divided up by spec, but I merged them when the pet's initial spec was no longer important. I'll probably leave them merged, but have a little symbol next to each family icon to denote what its spec is. Maybe a shield for tenacity, fang or sword or jaws for ferocity, and a.... brain for cunning? That one needs some thought :/
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Sarynotsorry
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Sarynotsorry »

This is a great change for open world and dungeons but for progression raiding, the tenacity bonus (basically a second, weaker aspect of the turtle) will likely be too valuable to give up. But there are a lot of factors that can change this prediction so I guess we will wait and see. I am very excited to not have to spend the time swapping pet specs based on what content I’m doing. My hunter is geared enough now to not require a tenacity pet ever, but that will obviously change after launch.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah, Tenacity's probably going to be the go-to for raiding unless you don't have a bloodlust for some reason, but honestly I've been stuck with a battle res pet all expansion for its utility in my group so I'll actually have more choice this way. Not gonna lie, part of me's glad we won't have a res anymore because I hate dealing with the mechanic as a pet ability (trying to get your pet near a corpse in the middle of a busy fight, what a headache). Won't be my problem anymore. :lol:
Sarynotsorry
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Sarynotsorry »

Vephriel wrote:Yeah, Tenacity's probably going to be the go-to for raiding unless you don't have a bloodlust for some reason, but honestly I've been stuck with a battle res pet all expansion for its utility in my group so I'll actually have more choice this way. Not gonna lie, part of me's glad we won't have a res anymore because I hate dealing with the mechanic as a pet ability (trying to get your pet near a corpse in the middle of a busy fight, what a headache). Won't be my problem anymore. :lol:
Yes! I too am SO excited that we won’t have rez anymore! And that we will have more diverse options for lust.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I kind of thought leech (ferocity) or movement speed (cunning) would be better for raiding. For getting out of fire, and for when your healers are overworked or out of range. I guess it could depend on the fight mechanics.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That is a given when it comes to raids. When you're in content where you and your group are min-maxing, then you'll do whatever creates the best results.
Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Flyra »

All can tank or DPS equally.
This is probably the most reassuring quote from the blue post.

Although, I feel this contradicts it?
Tenacity Specialization
Tenacity is best suited for dungeons and raids for the extra health and damage reduction cooldown, which could easily help you survive some of the more hard-hitting mechanics.

Endurance Training: Passively increases you and your pet’s maximum health by 8%.
Survival of the Fittest: You and your pet take 20% reduced damage for 6 seconds (3 min cooldown). This will be valuable in dungeons and raids for extra survivability.
I don't know, I'm really conflicted. I feel like each spec definitely has something awesome to bring and it's very exciting but I don't really understand why they've gone from "everything equal and remove most abilities" to this again.

Also I'm laughing my head off :lol:

Other
Doesn’t fit in any other categories

Family Specialization Abilities
Rylak Cunning
Updraft
This seems like an oversight on Blizzard’s part, as this is an Exotic pet with only 1 ability, and it does not even have a combat ability. Worth noting that the Feathermane family also has Updraft but also has a second ability on top of it.

My rylak is my main pet and my favourite pet and out of all the families that this could happen to it had to be his. Oh my poor baby, what am I gonna do. Poor Hex. :(

They're chimeras now scrap that
Last edited by Flyra on Mon May 21, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Arn't Rylaks becoming Chimeras tho?

Siggy under construction!

Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Flyra »

Bowno wrote:Arn't Rylaks becoming Chimeras tho?
Yeah it seems so. Just come back to correct myself after looking in to it. :lol:

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That is only in regards to the CD, which is every 3 mins. Will be useful, but ultimately the point still stands that, outside of those sorts of CDs, the general DPS, Health, and Armor of all three pet specs will be equal :)
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

When I used to play there was a stunning ability. I don't recall if it was in our spec to chose or the pets. The icon looked like a hoof. Is that gone now? I used it a lot back when I was playing.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

There's Intimidation, its icon is like a grey open mouth seen from 3/4 profile. It's been hunter baseline, BM baseline, and a talent. In Legion it's a BM talent, in BfA it will be baseline for BM and Survival.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Ahh yes that's the one. I always thought it was a hoof :P. Oki so it's in the hunters talent tree and not the pets. .. what about the self res dps Pet had. That still around?

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Battle rez pets? The pets capable of battle rezzing in Legion will no longer be able to in BfA.