Petopia family pages updated for BfA

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Petopia family pages updated for BfA

Unread post by Wain »

I've now released the first update to the family pages for BfA, since we're only weeks from 8.0.

The family page now has an info box with the spells and diet it should have in BfA. Please let me know if you find any errors or have any feedback on appearance!

Examples:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=pterrordax

http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=bear

http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=direhorn

Hopefully the box isn't too intrusive. I can work on it if it is. I would like to make the abilities/diet part collapsible.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Petopia family pages updated with BfA abilities

Unread post by Wain »

I've updated the family specs for BfA. Hopefully they're all correct. And I've merged Rylaks into Chimaeras.

I've also created a Legion version of the index page, containing the soon-to-be-outdated data: http://www.wow-petopia.com/index_prebfa.php
It's also linked on the main home page.
The Legion version links to historical versions of the family pages, which have the old spells and diets, and still lists Rylaks as a separate family.

Please let me know if there are any issues!
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Petopia family pages updated for BfA

Unread post by pop »

<3
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Looks good to me. I'll give it a more indepth look once I'm home from work :)
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I like the box, it's informative, without the user having to remember what each icon means. Wouldn't Bite, Claw, and Smack be "Common" though, since they're all functionally identical, meaning every family has them? Also, Direhorn's family ability "Gore" isn't in its info box.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Xota wrote:I like the box, it's informative, without the user having to remember what each icon means. Wouldn't Bite, Claw, and Smack be "Common" though, since they're all functionally identical, meaning every family has them? Also, Direhorn's family ability "Gore" isn't in its info box.
I originally treated Bite, Claw and Smack to be family abilities, since each family only gets one of the three, but you're right they are just aesthetic names for the same ability and I should reconsider that.

I have no idea where the Direhorn ability went to! Thanks for catching that. I fixed it now. I think it's the only one that went missing.

I'll try to get new pages added tomorrow that discuss the specs and the classes of abilities, specifically. I have the skeletons done, with all the elements, but they're unformatted and look like crap. :)

As far as I can tell, no spec really matters for general solo play, but it may come into play if you're up against a hard solo creature, or if you're raiding and you need to bring a certain thing to a fight. I really hope to be able to push the mantra that for ordinary solo play, just bring the pet that makes you happiest. That still seems to be the case, and the locking of family specs doesn't seem to affect that.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Yeah, all three specs function just fine for solo play. Even against an elite, I haven't really had any issues.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Spec page update

Unread post by Wain »

This is a draft page (unlinked) for pet specs in BfA:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/specs.php

Please let me know what you think, or if you notice any errors or bad assumptions. Thanks! :)
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

It looks really good! ! Very easy to understand

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Looks dope and clean. It makes me want to make a Spec/family ability matrix for myself.

I did notice a minor thing: some of the mouse over tool tips would truncate instead of just wrap the text and expand the tooltip. Primal Rage is an example. Maybe thats a Wowhead thing? Either way, very minor.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

What Quiv said, looks like this:
Image :mrgreen:

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks! i'm glad you like it :)

Quiv wrote:Looks dope and clean. It makes me want to make a Spec/family ability matrix for myself.
That's actually what I'm working on next - an explanation of family abilities, which fall into a limited set of groups, and a matrix of spec - family powers. I just have to work out how to nicely include additional / exotic powers in the same table.
Quiv wrote: I did notice a minor thing: some of the mouse over tool tips would truncate instead of just wrap the text and expand the tooltip. Primal Rage is an example. Maybe thats a Wowhead thing? Either way, very minor.
I've noticed that, too. I haven't determined what's going on there yet. :/
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Wain wrote:
Quiv wrote: I did notice a minor thing: some of the mouse over tool tips would truncate instead of just wrap the text and expand the tooltip. Primal Rage is an example. Maybe thats a Wowhead thing? Either way, very minor.
I've noticed that, too. I haven't determined what's going on there yet. :/
Fixed! There was an inexplicable "white-space: nowrap;" set in the Petopia css. It was affecting Wowhead tooltips, but so far I haven't been able to find any other page formatting that it affects, so I just removed it. If you notice anything on the site looking weird please let me know!
Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

So clean, very nice Wain :D :headbang: :mrgreen:

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Rawr wrote:So clean, very nice Wain :D :headbang: :mrgreen:
Indeed! Excellent work :D
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I really appreciate the feedback, thanks! :)

I'm now working on a page for pet abilities and have an early draft version. This is really crude and half unformatted, and needs Exotic info and maybe trick info too, but for your early perusal:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/abilities.php

It shows how families are distributed for spec vs family ability type.

Or I hope it does - I haven't verified the data yet! If you see anything in wrong cells please let me know.
Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

Looks good, I like that at a glance I have all the ability info, instead of having to go through a few pages.
Rawr wrote:So clean, very nice Wain :D :headbang: :mrgreen:

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

OK, the abilities page is more or less complete now, though it could still use some formatting:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/abilities.php

In the first table the cells with the family names and abilities are a bit heavy and cluttered but I haven't yet found a styling that I like for them. Most of the rest of it I'm OK with.

Please let me know what you think! Any suggestions or corrections are most welcome. It turned out there was a lot of info to display and I tried to do it as simply as possible.
Rawr

Unread post by Rawr »

Wain wrote: In the first table the cells with the family names and abilities are a bit heavy and cluttered but I haven't yet found a styling that I like for them. Most of the rest of it I'm OK with.
Well I like it, its clean and well organized with no huge empty wasted space. The only suggestion I would make is to color the columns by spec so you don't have to scroll up to see what pet is in what one, maybe use these nice colors like you have been using, tie it all together and whatnot. :D

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rawr wrote:
Wain wrote: In the first table the cells with the family names and abilities are a bit heavy and cluttered but I haven't yet found a styling that I like for them. Most of the rest of it I'm OK with.
Well I like it, its clean and well organized with no huge empty wasted space. The only suggestion I would make is to color the columns by spec so you don't have to scroll up to see what pet is in what one, maybe use these nice colors like you have been using, tie it all together and whatnot. :D
Thanks :) I did originally colour their names by spec (e.g. all the ferocity families were red) but it looked a bit weird. I also tried adjusting the edging colour to the spec but that looked really off, too (mint green clashes with a lot of colours :P ). I'll try another approach.