Riverbeast Colour Complications

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Riverbeast Colour Complications

Unread post by Wain »

So, it turns out there's a complication with the appearances of the new riverbeast model.

In the database there are 12 skins, but I've only had 6 listed on the site. This is because of a poor assumption on my part. You see, the remaining 6 have the same file names as the ones that are already listed, except that they have "_wet" added, and the colours are very slightly darker and higher in contrast than their counterparts. My bad assumption was that these were used in tandem with the lighter, "non wet" skins to make an effect. But it appears that they're not - they're used separately and many are already in use. I'm just unsure which at this stage, but there's quite a few.

To compare, ctrl-click on the images below to open them in separate windows:

[table=border:1px solid #CDBEE9; background-color:#DCFFDC; border-collapse:collapse;color:#35336F;padding:5px 10px;text-align:center;font-weight:bold;font-size:85%;line-height:130%;][tr][td]LIGHTER[/td][td]DARKER[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]hippo2_black[/td][td]hippo2_wet_black[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]hippo2_blue[/td][td]hippo2_wet_blue[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]hippo2_brown[/td][td]hippo2_wet_brown[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]hippo2_gray[/td][td]hippo2_wet_gray[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]hippo2_pink[/td][td]hippo2_wet_pink[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]hippo2_white[/td][td]hippo2_wet_white[/td][/tr][/table]

So how do you tell the difference between these shades when you're in the wild and have nothing to compare them to? It turns out there's a subtle difference in the transparency mask between the "wet" skins and the normal ones, and it shows up around the first and second tufts of their mane. All the lighter skins have a more notched appearance, but you have to look closely:

It's going to take a while to sort through them all. It's even possible for an NPC to have a mix of both. At the moment I've just added the looks to the database and set them as unused, which is not going to be the case. See:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?i ... iverbeasts
Attachments
hippomancomp500.png
hippomancomp500.png (121.52 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Riverbeast Colour Complications

Unread post by Wain »

Also, I plan to add a separate look page for the wounded skin used by Wildtusk. What's delaying it is I need to create the image and I'm having a hard time identifying the spear stuck in his left side. The ones on the right that look like wooden poles with green bands on them I have found, but not the one with the diamond-shaped end on it. If anyone has seen it, please let me know!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

This would explain why I was confused occasionally during the Beta when checking Riverbeast skins. There were a few that had a slightly different contrast in color, but I assumed either it was me or an environmental effect. Nice catch, Wain :)
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Wow! Nice catch. I doubt I'd have ever noticed the difference. I'm impressed by your attention to detail!
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

If it helps at all, I can confirm that my Riverbeast https://www.wowhead.com/npc=123731/riverbeast is the 'wet' version of the black skin.

He also has a very distinct 'glossy' effect when I move the camera around him, I imagine it's only the wet variants that have that?
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (248.78 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I've looked into three of the rusty npcs in Vol'dun. The one at the Terrace of the Devoted is dry, the two that are at the Oasis are wet.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Great. Thanks for your help! :)

I've surveyed the rest of the riverbeasts and I'm pretty sure this is right now:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?i ... iverbeasts

Essentially, almost all the tameable colours are the "darker" versions, except for the a few different NPCs that use the lighter rusty skin.

Depending on the next taming pass we could get lighter pink, and darker and lighter russet, but maybe they'll add more.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Update: I finally added Wildtusk as a separate look.