Abnormal Axebeaks

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Abnormal Axebeaks

Unread post by Wain »

This is probably nothing, but it seemed odd...

The past day I've been investigating a list of beasts from Wowhead that are classified into hunter pet families, but which we don't have in our database. Many are probably not even in the game, and a bunch of others are just ID variants of existing ones, i.e. they have the same name and appearance but a different ID because they were used in a different situation or location.

Of these, two axebeaks in Zuldazar stand out as unusual. Both occur only as single individuals (one is found in 2 locations and the other just in 1 location), and both share a name with a much more common axebeak found in the same areas. And, for some reason, both are perched / sitting, but get up and try to fly away as soon as you approach (they will fly away and despawn unless you attack or tame them). Yet their more common namesakes don't do that.

Maybe they're just intended to be cosmetic effects - i.e. as you trek through Zuldazar you startle wildlife. But it's still kind of odd and makes me wonder if there's something more they're used for.

They are:
- Cliff Axebeak (blue), north-east of the Garden of the Loa.
- Salteyed Axebeak (red), in two locations in the east of the zone.

Their far more common brethren are:
- Cliff Axebeak.
- Salteyed Axebeak.

Any ideas? :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Abnormal Axebeaks

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Probably intended for added immersion than anything else. I seem to recall similar beasts in the Broken Isles that do the same thing when you get close to them.
Tomb
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Re: Abnormal Axebeaks

Unread post by Tomb »

Well, I know what I'm naming mine!