8.1 Beasts

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Zoruaronan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Re: 8.1 Beasts

Unread post by Zoruaronan »

Wain wrote:I love capybaras :)

I wonder if the nightsaber is going to be used as an update. Unfortunately I can't datamine right now - off to take my nephews out for Pokemon Go community day. I'll look into it later today and see if there are any configurable features on the nightsaber. I'm hoping it will have optional geosets to make it into a frostsaber too.
Im going to the pokemon go community day as well i hope sabertrons up tomorrow
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

Omg, I LOVE the new tallstrider models! And the cabybaras are super cute too.

On a side note: Where are my killer koalas Blizzard? I'm w..a..i..t..i..n..g!!! :lol: ;)

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Ok, the new Tallstriders are really making me want to resub now. But after all I've heard it seems worthwhile to wait until a few more patches are applied and all this Warfront / Azerite upgrade business is sorted out.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

The timing is amazing on this... I just extended my sub for another 6 months and then THIS?

Glad everyone else is happy. The one thing that was sacred to me was the tallstrider. I put up with the terrible change in tallstrider animation, even with the fact that they took away the promised ability to turn off new models for toons.

Why not make a NEW set of tallstriders instead of ruining the one thing I've stuck around this long for? The model has been around since vanilla, it didn't need a FIX, just make a new one like they did with talbuks! New isn't always better, I hate these forced changes.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I think that modernizing the game is good. The old models had their charms, but they are very, very old and it shows. Thankfully, you'll be able to revisit vanilla when Classic comes out.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Teigan wrote:I think that modernizing the game is good. The old models had their charms, but they are very, very old and it shows. Thankfully, you'll be able to revisit vanilla when Classic comes out.
Smyelmdar
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem/Kilrogg/Nagrand EU

Unread post by Smyelmdar »

Vephriel wrote:Tallstriders look amazing!! What an update, I'm so pleased. :D (at least, with the purple, which is my favourite, but it's a shame turquoise didn't keep its orange belly!)

Also loving that new rylak colour.
I know how you feel! I have been a little worried what they would do to that model once they updated it. Specially for the purple and turqoise textures, because they could have ended up being way more pale compared to some of the other updated textures.

It's the same for the nightsaber. I like the model a lot, but the textures are too pale compared to the old ones. I know some of it is because back in pre-2004 they didn't have as much detail to the textures. But still. I fear what the Winterspring sabers is going to look like. Probably not as vibrant as the old ones. It seems to me that they have no real white in their concepts anymore. It's the same with the former white gorilla. It's not white anymore. It's pale but not white. But I guess it wasn't even supposed to be white, but again the limits of the old textures made it look more white.

I'll be waiting on the highland, with its wonderful serenity.
Where the stars glow and the brooks flow, that's my way of life.
When the mountains on the highland, and the nature is surrounding me, when the wind blows, that's all I need.

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

*silently goes back to resub to WoW*

I really do like those Nightsabers and that Rylak is gorgeous! I'm glad to see the older models getting some love - the game is so jarring between lower-level areas and the higher-level ones purely by the look of them alone.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

peanutbuttercup wrote:The timing is amazing on this... I just extended my sub for another 6 months and then THIS?

Glad everyone else is happy. The one thing that was sacred to me was the tallstrider. I put up with the terrible change in tallstrider animation, even with the fact that they took away the promised ability to turn off new models for toons.

Why not make a NEW set of tallstriders instead of ruining the one thing I've stuck around this long for? The model has been around since vanilla, it didn't need a FIX, just make a new one like they did with talbuks! New isn't always better, I hate these forced changes.
Don't panic just yet-Bliz seems to be very, very good about keeping the older models around for people that prefer those when they do these types of updates. I figure they will change the models of a number of the in game tallstriders-but they will leave some of them as the classic look for people that prefer them-just like they did with the bears, talbucks, griffons, hippogriffs etc..

I am very happy for the new updates myself-Razzmatazz, my old pink tallstrider got the axe awhile ago as I didn't like how outdated he was looking, this will encourage me to go back and pick him up. Meanwhile, I hope my Shadowclaw, Slade, keeps his current look, but I will pick up one of these new looks as well.
Valashe
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Valashe »

Only a matter of time before they added water pigs to the game. ;-)

I'm hoping that this pass adds the beast from Drustvar that look so cool but are not tamable.

Queen of teh Squerlz!

View my stable!

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Shade wrote:
peanutbuttercup wrote:The timing is amazing on this... I just extended my sub for another 6 months and then THIS?

Don't panic just yet-Bliz seems to be very, very good about keeping the older models around for people that prefer those when they do these types of updates. I figure they will change the models of a number of the in game tallstriders-but they will leave some of them as the classic look for people that prefer them-just like they did with the bears, talbucks, griffons, hippogriffs etc..

I am very happy for the new updates myself-Razzmatazz, my old pink tallstrider got the axe awhile ago as I didn't like how outdated he was looking, this will encourage me to go back and pick him up. Meanwhile, I hope my Shadowclaw, Slade, keeps his current look, but I will pick up one of these new looks as well.

Except that they didn't do it for anything updated in 8.0. They did it once for Bears but have not done it for anything else since. Gryphons, Talbuks, and Hippogryphs were left the way they were due to Blizz having a different mindset about updating old models (in the case of Talbuks, there is a lore reason). In the past, if a new model was introduced, they would just use it from the xpac it was introduced in and onwards. But since Legion, they have retroactively began to replace all old models with new models that they have created. Wind Serpents, Thunder Lizards, Spiders, Darkhounds, etc. have all had their models replaced and Blizz did not leave behind/add any with the old models.

They could add old models back in for 8.1, but that is yet to be seen.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

I really think that at some point we need to let go of old things and let them update the game. I know that the old models had a certain charm and sometimes the updates lack that. I personally prefer a visually cohesive and pleasant world, however and the juxtaposition of 14 year old models with beautiful new zones and models is jarring, unpleasant and unprofessional looking. I think that considering the new players might also be important because they are the future of the game. Alot of us started when the old models made sense and fit their surroundings and we are used to them and attached to them. Try to look at it with fresh eyes though. It's not a pretty picture. How would you feel stepping in to a game that mixed such poor quality graphics with high quality graphics? How would you feel if you were sold on the game by looking at the new stuff, and then you end up having to slog through pixellated purgatory for weeks to get to it? It's not a good thing, and it's time to let it go.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I do agree that things need to be updated. It isn't uncommon to see a new player on the WoW reddit complaining about the poor quality of the old skyboxes and zones. That being said, I do think that Blizz should make model updates as faithful to the original as possible.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Teigan wrote:I really think that at some point we need to let go of old things and let them update the game. I know that the old models had a certain charm and sometimes the updates lack that. I personally prefer a visually cohesive and pleasant world, however and the juxtaposition of 14 year old models with beautiful new zones and models is jarring, unpleasant and unprofessional looking. I think that considering the new players might also be important because they are the future of the game. Alot of us started when the old models made sense and fit their surroundings and we are used to them and attached to them. Try to look at it with fresh eyes though. It's not a pretty picture. How would you feel stepping in to a game that mixed such poor quality graphics with high quality graphics?
By that logic wow should've been ended long ago and a new game put in its place. Why should I "let something go" just because it's old? It's precisely because I've had the same main pet since the start of vanilla that I don't want to let go.

Rather than trying to appeal to new players, who are probably only going to stay on for a short while, why not throw a bone to the old timers who've stuck it out for 10+ years?
Valnaaros wrote:Except that they didn't do it for anything updated in 8.0. They did it once for Bears but have not done it for anything else since. Gryphons, Talbuks, and Hippogryphs were left the way they were due to Blizz having a different mindset about updating old models (in the case of Talbuks, there is a lore reason). In the past, if a new model was introduced, they would just use it from the xpac it was introduced in and onwards. But since Legion, they have retroactively began to replace all old models with new models that they have created. Wind Serpents, Thunder Lizards, Spiders, Darkhounds, etc. have all had their models replaced and Blizz did not leave behind/add any with the old models.

They could add old models back in for 8.1, but that is yet to be seen.
This is what I'm worried about. I cringed when I saw the new bear model but as bears were popular enough as a pet I guess that they left options open for people who were attached to their old model bear (and I went through and replaced all my bears with the old models) even after replacing all bears. But I think that was the only time they've made an exception.

What I'd like to see is more like what they did with talbuks and wolves, where they left both old and new options in by simply making new mobs with updated graphics, so the old models got spared.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Even "old timers" have differing opinions on what should be done. I've played WoW since launch and I do agree that things need to be updated, but it needs to be faithful to the original.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

By that logic wow should've been ended long ago and a new game put in its place. Why should I "let something go" just because it's old? It's precisely because I've had the same main pet since the start of vanilla that I don't want to let go.

Rather than trying to appeal to new players, who are probably only going to stay on for a short while, why not throw a bone to the old timers who've stuck it out for 10+ years?
Long story short, I'm going to politely disagree with you here :) There are some things that should be aimed specifically at older, higher-levelled players. High-end raiding, epic gear, super rare mounts, etc, are rightfully available to those older players who have taken the time to play the game and earn those rewards.

Graphic design, however, is not a reward. It shouldn't be reserved for those who level up near to max in order to experience a game that looks as good as it's shown to. New players that come into the game shouldn't be met with choppy graphics, poor designs and some awful looking trees for nostalgia they haven't experienced. I shouldn't need to get to a certain level in a game for it to actually look good.

That being said, I do understand why players are upset about some of the changes. Blizzard are cutting out major details for some (the new Nightsabers are missing their stripes, for one) and their idea of white has become a 'eh, it'll do' deal. A lot of these updates aren't faithful to the old looks when they need to be, as to not alienate older players. I would be very upset to log onto a favoured character and find that a pet of mine was suddenly hugely different to what I remembered because those memories it had would jar against the new shiny look, so I'm not saying you're wrong for being upset or hurt by these changes. However, a new player deserves the same graphic experience as you do because, at this point, I'm willing to wager that one of the reasons some new players aren't sticking around is because of how jarring the old zones and models are in comparison to the new ones.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

There's a lot of original models that I'm attached to, and it hurts to see them revamped unfaithfully. Especially when it would be so easy to just use the colour palettes that already existed. I still can't bring myself to update my undead bear to the new version, even though the new bear skeletons really improved the look of the beasts for me. I prefer the colours of my first black diseased bear (which has more blue tones in the fur instead of reddish brown). And yet, there's no denying how dated most of the old ones look at this point. Even though I'll miss details of the originals, I feel overall it's a better move to update everything over the course of the game, and if it's hard at first, I guess I'll just have to get used to it. The hyenas have already won me over despite not being very faithful to the originals. They just look so much better in the game, and I'm sure over time I'd get used to any replacements made and come to accept them. I just really wish more of the artists paid attention to colours and details that would be so easy to copy onto the new ones. Things like leaving the orange belly off of the turquoise tallstrider baffles me.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

New players are being sold a game from 2018 but playing one from 2004, graphically speaking, for the first part of their WoW experience, the part that is arguably the most important. There is no way they aren't surprised and disappointed. I've played since 2009 and I'm surprised and disappointed when I go to older zones.

I agree thought that more emphasis needs to be placed on being faithful to the originals. I hope that these new cats are not meant to replace all the cats, because losing the spots and stripes would be very sad. I'm also disappointed that the turquoise tallstrider lost it's beautiful orange belly. It's especially weird, because they kept the colors for all the other tallstriders and did a nice job of it. But, I'd rather have a plainer one that I can stand looking at because it isn't a pixellated mess from a decade and a half ago.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've uploaded all the model shots for Patch 8.1 stuff so far.

Patch 8.1 potential looks:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/newlooks81.php

A comparison table of the classic tallstrider model and the updated one:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/modelupdates81.php

This isn't confirmation that the new tallstrider model will be used to update older pets, but it's quite likely that is the intent.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Well, on WoWhead's model viewer, whenever I check the old Tallstrider pets, they end up as the new model equivalent, much like the beetles during BfA beta.
https://www.wowhead.com/pet=12/tallstrider
Fair to say that they are indeed an update to the existing ones. :)
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!