8.1 Beasts

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Steve
Realm: Stormrage-US

Re: 8.1 Beasts

Unread post by Steve »

Qraljar wrote:Image
Wow. I hope they eventually make this model into a tameable beast.
Now that is how a gorilla is supposed to look.
sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

Hmm I hope they fix Karkin.. cause there is something wrong with him, see I can't 1 shot lvl 122 regularly like at all, yet when I used CS on him he was instantly killed.. I dont understand how I one shot him when I can never one shot any lvl 122 mob.. I could see if he was a low lvl like I can one shot a lvl 90 but he was lvl 122
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

sasrei7 wrote:Hmm I hope they fix Karkin.. cause there is something wrong with him, see I can't 1 shot lvl 122 regularly like at all, yet when I used CS on him he was instantly killed.. I dont understand how I one shot him when I can never one shot any lvl 122 mob.. I could see if he was a low lvl like I can one shot a lvl 90 but he was lvl 122
Does he even scale past 85/90? Pretty sure he's considered a lowbie at max level and you need to make a macro to stop attack after your Counter Shot since he still does the knockback, right?

(Edit: Guess he does! Had no idea he actually scaled past 90, which is max for that zone area. Odd he goes that high. Anywho, best bet would be to pack some drums, make the countershot/stop attack macro, pop drums, and tame. Should work just fine!)

Also, yeh, gonna agree...higher shoulders and bigger teeth would be nice if these are meant as the BIG Nightsabers. Also, it's really super simple to add stripes and spots once the base layer art/shading is complete. Don't panic just yet, this is still a raw build coming in so we might see more added as we go.

Edit 2: Also thinking about it and digging around some: The removal of the toggle for older models could have something to do with their port over to DX11. Although, the entire removal of it could be for a long list of reasons. It could have had something to do with the new animations they introduced. It could have been something on the back end dealing with all the model calls. Could have been something with skinning/rigging of the models in general or the armor sets. It could have even been a design decision for cohesiveness. It really could have been anything. Most people here likely have no insight on the matter, like myself, and thus why that wasn't something anyone wanted to tackle. It's hard to discuss it when you just don't know. Communication from Blizzard dealing with that removal would have been appropriate, however, we're in a spot right now where the Devs are having a hard time communicating with the playerbase.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

He was one shotted lol the countershot killed him, I stripped naked for Skarr and the countershot half killed him so I dont think its scaling properly cause I shouldnt be able to one shot lvl 122s, especially since currently they still pwn me lol
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

I'm sorry, but does the back view of the gorilla make anyone else giggle? Like, really bad?

They're like, presenting their butt to you.
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

sasrei7 wrote:He was one shotted lol the countershot killed him, I stripped naked for Skarr and the countershot half killed him so I dont think its scaling properly cause I shouldnt be able to one shot lvl 122s, especially since currently they still pwn me lol

It's actually not the counter shot itself. It's the one auto shot that happens when you click the counter. That's why it's better to make the stop attack macro that cancels attack after the counter shot!

Code: Select all

/cast Counter Shot
/stopcasting
/stopcasting
I had to use this before with Ban'thalos, as it's the only way to actually just...pull him down without instant death for him. I'm now also curious if the scaling isn't actually capping out at 90 behind the scenes, but displaying as 122.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terrokar, Dentarg, Alexstrasza

Unread post by Setanta »

peanutbuttercup wrote:
Teigan wrote:I do think that presenting a unified front to fine-tune the upgrades would be a better use of time and energy. The upgrades going to happen. They need to happen.
A united front would be nice but it's not going to happen. I certainly didn't think many would agree or sympathize but I also figured people on here could disagree without resorting to jabs and barbs.

I also don't see how it destroys someone else's playing experience by letting players toggle on old models if that's what they prefer (no one addressed this), as they had for a little while with character models.

Outside of the few models that were simply smoothed out versions of the old skin (i.e. snakes) none of the new skins have been an improvement. I've been perma-stabling old pets left and right or abandoning them outright. The new cats shown here I don't like, but obviously that's an opinion only I hold.
I doubt you are the only person who holds that opinion. I'm of the mind that the game should be built in such a way as to support the version of it that you prefer with the older models which likely actually uses far less computing power, and at the same time supporting the newer bells and whistles that newer technology affords them the opportunity to do. In an ideal world there would be a way to toggle this, but in that same world there would also be a maintained 32 bit version of the game as well. Maybe one day they will find a happy medium with the ability to toggle skins, but I doubt they will look at that option unless the game really starts to outpace the technology of a majority of the playerbase.

Sargman (Void Elf) Terokkar
Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg
Untamabull (Tauren) Area 52
Sargmar (Blood Elf) Alexstrasza

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
Rozzana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shattered Hand, Elune

Unread post by Rozzana »

]Personally I feel if they do a good faithful update, then so be it. But I have been worried about some looks being erased due to the new artistic streamlining and simplicity in style. But it's a risk I'm willing to take bc there are pets I've let go just bc of how outdated they look --> Arcturis. I didn't like his weird glitched jaw and the transparency effect makes you see weird polygons of his limbs..he didn't age well.
At this point, I'd prefer nice updated models to coexist w/ or replace the old ones. (( Also I want more solid spirit beasts, the transparency effect is outdated and jank looking now. Like the gryphon. In some zones w/ saturated light, it just looks like blue flailing polygons)).
Summerfield
Realm: Cairne

Unread post by Summerfield »

Not big on those new tallstriders. The originals are outdated but they have such a nice details put into them in terms of color and anatomy, like the pinkish head on the brown one making it clearly look related to the grey one/the beautiful blue/pink/orange patterns on the strider clutchmother and the way the wing claws are positioned. I'd much rather have a design that's done with a lot of care to making them feel like real animals than high resolution ones. Not sure why they can't just update the models with the colors intact?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Obviously not tamable, but here is the Grong the Revenant - the undead version of King Grong.

Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

I'm really, REALLY excited for the purple chimaera/rylak to show up. Brings back fond memories of WC3.

Also, I'm in the "stay faithful to the originals" boat. Even in completely new models for new creatures, not at all intended to be a revamp or replacement, they could stand to make them look a little closer to older models in theme or style. Some of the most disappointing things in Legion for me was the new cats and wolves. They have pretty strong color on them, but... it's, like, one or two colors.

I'm all for the exaggerated, slightly cartoony style, but sometimes it gets out of hand. Something with cartoony, exaggerated or just implausible features can still look kinda serious, but then I look at the new abomination models, for example, and just can't take them seriously. They used to be scary and a little disturbing. Now, especially in some color palettes in particular, they look kinda... goofy. Their cleavers don't look like they could cut anything, their hooks look like cheap Halloween decorations or Hot Topic props, and some of the "blood"(?) stains look more like they tried to paint and turned out to be really clumsy and lousy at it. Seriously, some of the abominations have blood on their cleavers, but the blood is the same color as the stuff they're leaking. What? Are they just chopping themselves?

And then they went and slapped rattles on all of my wind serpents.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Slapperfish wrote:So, uhhhh, on an unrelated note, has anyone notified Wassa on the Tallstrider model update? :P
-poofs in-

No orange belly? That's not my Hahadori. =(

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've posted a feedback thread on that tallstrider skin, if you could please post in support:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769407316#1

If you're in the EU, feel free to plagiarize it and post there :)

Historically, our chances of them making any changes are slight, but I would rather that than regret remaining silent.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Oh look, another white pet that was "updated" to not-white.

What is it with Blizzard and white pets? Do they have some sort of prejudice against white pets? I loved my white flying snakey... but now, it looks like it's been out in the rain playing in puddles of mud.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Posted in the thread. Maybe this time they'll listen? Seeing what happened with Zaricotl, probably not, but we can hope.
Bangeall
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Doomhammer EU

Unread post by Bangeall »

My first pet and mount were nightsabres, so those boxy old cats have a special place in my heart. Having said that, I would be ok with them receiving an update, provided they were faithful to the originals. As others have already said, higher shoulders, longer teeth and spots and stripes. I loved the old bear models but once I adjusted to the new ones, I came to see mine as my Baloo, just upgraded. :D

That looks wonderful!
sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

Agreed! I'm all for updates but I do think they should make them at least some what look like the old models but just enhanced (less blockey) or at least mostly the same coloring. I prefer the ones that actually look like animals and not some cartooney creature... like crabs they look so real, and the spiders are eerily real (its why I cant tame any now lol). I personally never had an issue with the saber cats, the classic cats aren't too bad for some of them but yes they do for sure look their age lol, but the lions I think are worse in regards to overall appearance. Even though I love them lol. Still hoping we can tame horses at 8.1 lol.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Am I the only one that thinks the new nightsabers look more like rats?
I mean, I love rats. Had a lot as pets in the past.
But uh.
I'd like my cats to look like cats.

Siggy under construction!

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Bowno wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the new nightsabers look more like rats?
I mean, I love rats. Had a lot as pets in the past.
But uh.
I'd like my cats to look like cats.
That nose comes out at a weird angle, like rats noses. Cat noses are more "down" when they look forward.
Image :mrgreen: