Updating unique and Rare skins

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Renard
Realm: Misha

Updating unique and Rare skins

Unread post by Renard »

Great job on this site.

I was wondering if the list of unique and rare pets would be updated. Gon and Lost Spectral Gryphon are not noted under spirit beasts but are found under summoned.

Snowblind, Netherbeak, Lalathin and Jetwing are not on the unique and rare for Feathermanes but as far as I can tell no other Feathermanes share their skins.

Can you correct me if I am wrong on that? Are there other unique and rare skins from other pet families that have not been listed on the unique and rare list as well?

Thanks for your time.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Updating unique and Rare skins

Unread post by Wain »

Hmmm that's odd. I thought I recoded the unique looks list to be more dynamic but maybe it's not right. Thanks for letting me know, I'll take a look at it.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Actually, it turns out there's a simple reason for it: neither of those spirit beasts is flagged as rare. They both have unique skins, so they do appear on the unique looks page, just not the unique & rare looks page.
Nanluin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Nanluin »

Wain wrote:Actually, it turns out there's a simple reason for it: neither of those spirit beasts is flagged as rare. They both have unique skins, so they do appear on the unique looks page, just not the unique & rare looks page.
If I may, I'd like to suggest a more consistent title for this page, one that follows the progression from the (1) Unique and Rare Pets page, which then branches to a separate (2) Rare Pets page, and a (3) Unique Pets page.

As it stands now, this page title goes from "Pets with Unusual Looks" in its link on the Rare and Special Pets page, to "Pets with Uncommon Looks" on the page itself, which really refers to pets with unique (but not rare) skins only.

Sidenote: I would personally lobby for keeping beasts on this page for whom there are now two sources, when previously there was only one. For example, Chromaggus used to be a Unique look, but then they added the Chromehound for those who did not have raiding access. As another example, Uhk'loc (white gorilla) used to be a Unique Rare, until they added Tsul'Kalu (still rare, but now neither are unique). I will admit, however, that keeping this page limited to only those skins with a single source is cleaner, and I'm just being nostalgic.

-- Nanluin
Nanluin
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Nanluin »

I am also wondering:

What is the current dividing line between what is a "Rare" and what is not? This seems to have been muddied a bit since Legion, in that at least a few beasts that are listed as "Rare" seem to have rapid respawn rates, especially those Elites that are marked on your Minimap with a 'gold star'. Recently, when I tamed both Avalanche and Whirlwing, a new copy respawned within minutes, while I was still naming and setting up the Pet Bar for my new acquisition. I'd noticed this with Wraithtalon (back in Val'shara) as well.

I'm not trying to be overly picky here: just wanting to understand what the "Rare" designation means in your page coding.

My thanks,

-- Nanluin
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

You're right, the rare tag no longer necessarily means rare, especially for anything from Warlords and up. We've continued to flag as rare anything with the tag but maybe we shouldn't.

As for unique being 2 or more sources, I'll consider it. It's just to much to look at right now while there's so much to do with the Classic database, but I'll get back to it :)