WoW Petopia Community

A fun place to chat about hunter pets in the World of Warcraft.
Visit the Petopia homepage Petopia Homepage
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum Rules: Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete rules.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:32 am 
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Realm: EU Wildhammer
So, I took a quick tour on the PTR, and it appears that the Animal Companion talent (two pets out at the same time) has been finally fixed. When you use Mend Pet it now heals both of your pets and Play Dead causes both of your pets to fall over "dead" (and rise up when the spell is cancelled).

When it comes to numbers I don't know if the talent is viable in any way, but at least you don't shoot yourself in the foot anymore on a functional level when picking it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:49 am 
Illustrious Master Hunter

Realm: Shadow Council
It's probably still considered subpar compared to Killer Instinct, but I'm glad that it'll work better for those that do use it :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:16 pm 
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Realm: Dalaran
Yay!

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:45 am 
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Realm: Shadowsong, Borean Tundra
Biggest issue with Animal Companion was the second pet's AI being worse than Hati in Legion. Does the second pet actually function like a proper pet now too? It's good that Mend Pet was fixed to actually work on it, and the feign death thing is handy, but if the second pet is still as dumb as a sack of rocks, then I'm sad.

Crawgs are the best hunter pet. Prove me wrong.
Oh wait...you can't!

ImageImageImage
Name the game these characters are from, and I'll be amazed.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:47 am 
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Realm: Proudmoore
WerebearGuy wrote:
Biggest issue with Animal Companion was the second pet's AI being worse than Hati in Legion. Does the second pet actually function like a proper pet now too? It's good that Mend Pet was fixed to actually work on it, and the feign death thing is handy, but if the second pet is still as dumb as a sack of rocks, then I'm sad.

The second pet has been fine since it went live. The only issue is it's tuned horribly compared to Killer Instinct. (And the aforementioned issues with Play Dead and Mend Pet)

With 3 pieces with Pack Leader, it actually pulls ahead of Killer Instinct.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:43 am 
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Realm: Stormrage, WrA
EEE! That's awesome!!

I haven't had any issues with the pet's AI, outside of both of my pets getting stuck on occasional doors (but even if I run solo pet with Killer Instinct I have that problem in BFA -shrugs-). The Play Dead and Mend Pet fixes are perfect for me~ :headbang:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 am 
The Insane
The Insane

That's great news :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:50 pm 
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Realm: Everywhere
Myzou wrote:
WerebearGuy wrote:

The second pet has been fine since it went live. The only issue is it's tuned horribly compared to Killer Instinct. (And the aforementioned issues with Play Dead and Mend Pet)

This. It might be viable with the new raid unless we get a new stacking buff trait specific for the raid. Problem is getting 3 pieces of Pack Leader with good levels.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:58 am 
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Realm: Proudmoore
SlickrockGhost wrote:
Myzou wrote:
WerebearGuy wrote:

This. It might be viable with the new raid unless we get a new stacking buff trait specific for the raid. Problem is getting 3 pieces of Pack Leader with good levels.

They've already said they aren't doing a Re-origination Array in the new raid.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:22 pm 
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

I noticed everyone keeps saying Pack Leader, and I'm not sure if you're referring to the Legion artifact trait it the BfA trait Pack Alpha. Sorry, definitely not trying to be nitpicky, I just wanted to make sure I was reading things right because I read the patch notes today and apparently they're removing Pack Alpha as a trait in 8.1, replaced with Dire Consequences.

Which seems to mean that AC will likely not be a good pick even if you stacked those traits? If so, that sucks. It needed some serious tuning last I saw (unless you stacked 3 pieces of those traits) on its own, but I haven't used AC talent in a few months. Is it better now?

This was the patch note:

"Dire Consequences (replaces Pack Alpha) - Kill Command deals 525 additional damage, and has a chance to summon a Dire Beast."

Of course, I could be reading wrong, this I came here to look first lol.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:31 pm 

Realm: Shadow Council
It's still considered a significant dps loss compared to Killer Instinct. This is what Icy Veins has to say about it:

Animal Companion is a significant damage loss compared to Killer Instinct. On top of that, it adds another element of pet AI reliance to your gameplay, and we do not recommend it for any situation. Keep in mind that this talent reduces your pet's damage done by 40%. It is not nearly as good as it looks on paper. This talent can be worth using if you have more than 2 ranks of the Pack Alpha Azerite Trait.

So it can be worth using, but it would require you to stack three ranks of Pack Alpha in order to reach that potential, and that wouldn't be necessarily easy to do. Disregarding Dazar'alor, it is mandatory right now that you have either Archive of the Titans or Laser Matrix. That alone will take one rank and thus make it so that Animal Companion cannot compete with Killer Instinct. Primal Instincts also comes out over Pack Alpha in ST situations (if barely).

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:28 pm 
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Valnaaros wrote:
It's still considered a significant dps loss compared to Killer Instinct. This is what Icy Veins has to say about it:

Animal Companion is a significant damage loss compared to Killer Instinct. On top of that, it adds another element of pet AI reliance to your gameplay, and we do not recommend it for any situation. Keep in mind that this talent reduces your pet's damage done by 40%. It is not nearly as good as it looks on paper. This talent can be worth using if you have more than 2 ranks of the Pack Alpha Azerite Trait.

So it can be worth using, but it would require you to stack three ranks of Pack Alpha in order to reach that potential, and that wouldn't be necessarily easy to do. Disregarding Dazar'alor, it is mandatory right now that you have either Archive of the Titans or Laser Matrix. That alone will take one rank and thus make it so that Animal Companion cannot compete with Killer Instinct. Primal Instincts also comes out over Pack Alpha in ST situations (if barely).

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. If AC still required to stack 2-3 of a trait that will be gone tomorrow to be good.

Dang, was so hoping to switch back to the more fun build. :C