Off-topic area

Meggers
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sargeras US

Off-topic area

Unread post by Meggers »

Any way this could be set to members only? Even better requiring it to have 5-10 posts on an account to access? I know this seems random but I'm getting really sick of people(Golden) who are trying to set up the DC thread to have someone(person?) skim all the listed scrolls (we list so we can make breed requests of eachother) and dump the eggs in view places to kill them. :(
ImageImage
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Re: Off-topic area

Unread post by cowmuflage »

So what if that person makes an account? You can't stop them then. :/
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Yes, members-only forums wouldn't solve that. Maybe you could use the forums to set up a list of people that can be pm'ed the relevant info?
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Evidently, the problem is the Other Games, and specifically, the DC thread itself. I've seen no other issues sprung up in any other sections, and this is kind of an argument I feel like is silly to go over again. Why don't people just hide the Other Games sub-forum? Members will only be able to see it, the majority of the forum is left untouched, and it caters to the idea that Petopia is a hunter forum. Everyone is happy.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Honestly, it won't solve the problem. It'll just mean they can make an account to do the exact same thing.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Fair enough. Then we don't change anything and call it a day, I suppose. There's really no other practical solution unless they do what Gorman says and keep a running list via PMs.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

That's probably the safest way, unfortunately. Sorry that you all have a troll of a lurker. :(

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Indeed. :< It's one of the many reasons I stopped playing Dragcave. Least with Magistream, clicking does good things, not bad.

LisaaraPokefarm

Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

If there is in fact a someone who intentionally adds our growing creatures to click sites with the intention to kill them, they will need to be *very* dedicated to create a forum account, post to make their post count go up to be able to access the Other Games section. It's a long way to go, just to ruin things for others.

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

But then that's also screwing things up for new members. What if I invited someone from Magisteam to come here? Is it fair for them to not be able to post there until she posts a certain number of times elsewhere because of a random troll for a different adoptables game? That's something to think about because the Other Games forums isn't 'DragCave Forum'. Posting your eggs up there, or links to your scrolls, is always a risk. TJ stated that a dozen times back when I played the game. I personally don't feel it's right to lock up a forum because of one adoptables game. You don't know if it's from here where someone is getting it from(It'd be extremely hard to prove Petopia is the source). They likely could be getting it just from Dragcave itself or google. Locking up the topic will not protect your scrolls from them. Even so, the egg deaths could also just be an accident. It happens. It happened to me back when DC was young and I was an avid player and active on the forums of DC.

Case in point, there is a lot to consider. Honestly, keeping your scrolls in PMs seems like the best option since, like I said, Other Games isn't DragCave only.

LisaaraPokefarm

Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

It should just stay as it is now, I think. It can get very confusing and complicated, if suggested restrictions were to be set in motion. What I'd suggest is to hide the scrolls and/or fog the growing things overnight, or whenever the players aren't available to keep watch. Sure, it sounds like a lot of hassle, but it's easy to grow accustomed to.

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Miyon wrote:It should just stay as it is now, I think. It can get very confusing and complicated, if suggested restrictions were to be set in motion. What I'd suggest is to hide the scrolls and/or fog the growing things overnight, or whenever the players aren't available to keep watch. Sure, it sounds like a lot of hassle, but it's easy to grow accustomed to.
I agree. It's unfortunate that it's happening but there are ways to prevent it without turning a section upside down.

LisaaraPokefarm

Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

I get that but it makes it a huge hassle when trying to help people out and people are going to have to PM a bunch of scrolls now. And its just weird having people creeper on convos.

(I also fail to see how that is "turning a section upside down, exaggeration! :P )
ImageImage
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Meggers wrote:It's just weird having people creeper on convos.
But it's not weird, these are public forums. Even if you make an area members-only, you have to assume anyone can read it. If you want a private conversation, you have to take it to PMs.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Meggers wrote:I get that but it makes it a huge hassle when trying to help people out and people are going to have to PM a bunch of scrolls now. And its just weird having people creeper on convos.

(I also fail to see how that is "turning a section upside down, exaggeration! :P )
Not an exaggeration when you're changing an entire forum to appease one topic alone in it. :P

LisaaraPokefarm

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, I don't plan to make any forums private at this stage. I believe it could be done if need be.

Then again I'm still trying to get my head around what is happening. I've never played this game and not sure what the scrolls etc. are about :)

Also your OP suggests you're blaming Golden for this, but I assume it's just the ambiguous wording?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm not certain, but I might be able to make a thread only accessible to a specific group, but it would probably require Mod intervention every time someone needed to be added to that group. I can ask Mania.

Of course over time the group will grow and if the same thing occurs you won't know who in the group is doing it. But my guess is it's probably someone skimming without an account. Perhaps they skim the web for these things.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Wain wrote:Yeah, I don't plan to make any forums private at this stage. I believe it could be done if need be.

Then again I'm still trying to get my head around what is happening. I've never played this game and not sure what the scrolls etc. are about :)

Also your OP suggests you're blaming Golden for this, but I assume it's just the ambiguous wording?
If an egg from dragcave gets too many views and clicks at once, it gets sick and dies.

LisaaraPokefarm

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've made the "Other Games" forum unreadable to Guests. I have no idea if that will help or not. It depends on how the person is harvesting the info. It's a first step, anyway. Please let me know how it goes, or if you encounter any access problems.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Unfortunately this hurts those who play Magistream heavily because we depend on clicks for our adoptables to grow. So now the many guests that come here can't see them, let alone click them.

LisaaraPokefarm