Our new image resizer

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Our new image resizer

Unread post by Wain »

Just an explanation, if you've noticed little magnifying glasses appearing over large posted images.

I've installed a popular board mod called "ReIMG", which acts to resize posted images that are too large. It will scale them to within the allowed dimensions, but place a magnifying glass icon in the top left corner. If you click on the image it'll bring up a full-sized version in a light box.

I've set the maximum allowed dimensions (before it will be resized) to 800 pixels wide by 600 high. If you feel something else would be more appropriate, please post your feedback here.

Example, which is actually 1024x768:

Also note that if you have javascript disabled in your browser, then it should still resize them (I think) but it won't offer you the option of viewing the full-size image. Or maybe it doesn't even resize them, I forget.

As for signatures, I wish there were separate options for signature dimensions but there are not. Our signature limit policy is 800x300. As a result, it will correctly resize sig images over 800 wide, but will still allow ones over 300 high, up to 600 high. I'm looking for another way of catching these, rather than having to manually police signature sizes.
Attachments
national-geographic-pictures-dragonfly-close-up1.jpeg
national-geographic-pictures-dragonfly-close-up1.jpeg (72.54 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Re: Our new image resizer

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Eeee this is awesome! Far too often do I see images that are far too huge posted. :D It's really not that hard to manually resize them in paint but this makes it like 10 times easier. :D

Would be cool if you can figure out a way for it to work for sigs too; it's definitely hard trying to manually police those. Thanks for adding this Wain!

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

i LOOOVE the img resizer!! no longer have to figure out which size screenies would be best :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I am loving it to!!! No more "OMG the screens been swallowed by a picture, where'd the comments go!!!" moments :P

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Please though, one thing to remember is that even though the images *appear* smaller, the page is still loading the ENTIRE image. So if you start posting lots of huge images you'll still bog the page down severely!
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

ahh so still resize the screenies!

good to know :)

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

If there's lots of them, please do :) It depends on the nature of the thread and how many images and how much traffic it's getting :)
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

im gonna write like 10 pet journals (with time) with pictures in so i resize those which is the best size for the forum?

or just put the link to the full img in....

if i put a forum link to a full size picture will it still load the whole one?

e.g. :

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

I too seriously LOVE this new resizer, to many times have massive images made it really hard to scroll, load and navigate pages they've be posted in (MMOchamp images just directly thrown into threads especially!)
Awesome on mobile devices too, thankful so much for adding this.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Ah I was wondering where all the resized images were coming from and what the trick was to scale them down like that. I really like it thanks for having it installed. At long last we are saved from the stretched out threads filled with screenshots!