News Forum & Reporting Options

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

News Forum & Reporting Options

Unread post by Mania »

Three things I wanted to mention this evening:

First, in the tradition of bending existing systems to new uses until they splinter and break, I've added two more options to the list of reasons why you might use the Report Post button: News and Sticky. If you have a post that you would like to be moved into the News forum, or a post you'd like to be made Sticky, the fastest way for me to see it is to report it. Just choose the appropriate reporting reason when you do so. If you tell me your own post is actually gold seller spam, I am most likely going to believe you and delete it.

Secondly, I added a News forum. (You know, maybe I should have put these in the other order ...) Hmph.

Anyway, the News forum is for important game news, mostly hunter and pet news but also other things if I really feel like it. :) The News forum is set up a little differently than the other forums -- anyone can reply, but only I (or eventually some moderators) can make a new topic. The reason I am doing it this way is because the News forum has a special 'News Only' feed that grabs the first post of any topic. If you are familiar with the way MMO-Champion does news ... well, it's just like that. My plan is to embed this feed onto the front page of Petopia as soon as I figure out how to do that.

And since it's likely that I won't always be the first person to see important news, feel free to post the important stuff in Pet Discussions and then report yourself, using the News report reason so I know what you want me to do with your post. See how everything comes 'round full circle?

Third ... Oh, no, wait -- I only had two things. Hmm. Okay, well, third, my migraine and I are going to fall into bed now.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: News Forum & Reporting Options

Unread post by Vephriel »

Nice new features! ^^

Aww, migraines are terrible. :( Hope you feel well soon!
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Mania wrote:my migraine and I are going to fall into bed now.
:(
Hope the migraine logs off.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

/tar Migraine
/votekick

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Here's a tip:
When you're in bed, fake to be asleep, wait for you migraine to really fall asleep.
Jump up suddenly, cuff and bind the migraine, don't forget to gag it, so it won't shout and wake the neighbors, Get your husband to help you carry it into the trunk of the secretly bought crappy junk car, drive down the next lake and sink car, migraine and all the bad times in it.
Walk home, don't use a cab! You don't want to be seen near the crime seen!

OK, so much for the goofy section. The news feed sounds awesome. But it sound like a replacement for you blog as well. Am I right?
Good that people now can report stickies.
But I still think, some stuff like general chat should be divided up into hunter or pet related and an off topic section.

Anyway, good to see you care about the forums as much as you care about petopia. Keep it up!
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Agreed, we could split it into Hunter and Off-topic.
This is in the ground a forum about hunters, off-topic classes like locks and rogues shouldn't really be here.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Karathyriel, that reminded me of the They Might Be Giants song "Hopeless Bleak Despair":
They Might Be Giants wrote:For years and years I wandered the earth | Until I died and went to hell | But my despair had ascended to heaven | That's how I finally got rid of it.
Hmm .. a little more grim than your version. :)

And yes, I will still be splitting the forums. I just haven't had the energy to deal with moving things to their final home yet.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Take your time... The world won't stop turning if it isn't done by tomorrow! :)

Or will it? :?
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I also just added a 'Move Post' reporting option in case you realize too late that your post is in the wrong forum.