Previews of attachments

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Previews of attachments

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Hi Mania!

As you told me, I started attaching my pictures to my posts instead of have them only temporarily on my own webspace.
I realised that sometimes, there is a preview and sometimes, there is just a link. And with some of the animated GIFs I uploaded, the preview was kind of screwed up although the picture itself was just fine.

Maybe you know (and probably will tell me) when or why a preview is shown or not. I'd like them switched off as they appear on the posts bottom and I prefer to use them in the text via the [img]-funktion.

Cheers from across the ocean,
- Karathyriel
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Previews of attachments

Unread post by Mania »

*nod* I saw your notes in the thread yesterday. (And .. err .. accidentally deleted an attachment.) My husband and I spent some time trying to figure out why the combination of settings on the board was doing that, because honestly, it didn't make any sense at all. (See his thread on the Santa Sclavus for some of our testing.)

I couldn't find anything in the code or any mods that would let users control previews on a case-by-case basis, but we eventually figured out that 1) the code was using the overall setting for 'maximum size of a thumbnail' and making a thumbnail preview of anything over that size, and 2) for images under that size, it was just using the image itself as the preview. Once I turned off the previews entirely, the previews which had had a thumbnail created for them (like your sadly mangled signature gifs) remained, but previews that didn't create a thumbnail switched to text-only links.

(Then we spent a frantic half-hour trying to figure out how I managed to break the ability to embed your own attachments in the post using the BBCode img tags. Turns out it's a bug in phpbb, but there is a work-around. So the work-around is in place now and theoretically all should be good.)

Anyway, as of right now attachments will only ever show a text link. You can either leave it at that, so that readers will need to click on the link to see the attachment, or you can grab the attachment link and embed it in your post using the BBCode img tag to show your attachment inline.

That's the best I can do right now, I'm afraid.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Re: Previews of attachments

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Whoohoo!

One up for Mania!

That attachments appear as text links only hand have to be inserted my hand is exactly what I wanted :lol:
I hope other users won't starting to complain now. :?

Thanks and don't mind the deleted attachment. It's not needed anymore.