What are you reading right now?

Lysara

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread post by Lysara »

Can only confirm the love for A Song Of Ice And Fire, truly a great series.

Personally I'm reading some Discworld novels, again. There's more than 30, and I've read pretty much all of them, but I like rereading them every once in a while.
It's such a brilliant mix between fantasy and humour, and it's absolutely filled with references to other stuff. To be honest I'm surprised it hasn't been seen in this thread yet, Discworld tends to be a geek-favourite. ;)
All dwarfs are by nature dutiful, serious, literate, obedient and thoughtful people whose only minor failing is a tendency, after one drink, to rush at enemies screaming "Arrrrrrgh!" and axing their legs off at the knee. - Terry Pratchett
Moonlost
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

Currently I'm going though the Song of Ice and Fire series... on audio book. I'm not sure if that's cheating or not though for this topic. :P I'm just getting though the last part of A Clash of King and I have to say, it's a quite enthralling story. Loving it. The only problem I have is that the reader for the second book isn't quite as good as the one I had for the first book.

I find myself enjoying Audio books a little more than the printed versions. not that I don't enjoy reading, but I can concentrate a little easier with the audio format.

I also have the two Dragon Age novels waiting for me to pick them up. I'm afraid it may have to wait until I find out what happens to the Starks of Winterfell.

Oh, and hello Petopia Forums! I is new heres, if you couldn't tell from my post count. :)

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Lysara wrote:To be honest I'm surprised it hasn't been seen in this thread yet, Discworld tends to be a geek-favourite. ;)
Oh I've read it! I read it good...

It's a nice set of books, for the reasons you mentioned and the fact that that kind of thing tends to click with me.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Raven
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Raven »

I just finished reading "Dead until Dark". It is the first book in a series that "True Blood" is based off of. Very good. I am reading "Deception Point" by Dan Brown now.
Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

WARNING STARTING WITH A RANT>>>>

GAAAAAHHHHH!!! I finished "Magician's Gambit" book 3 in the Belgariad Series only to find out I am missing "Castle of Wizardry"!!! :shock: :o *Pulls hair out and bashes head against wall* :evil: It's days like this that really make me want to kill that cheating, lieing, abusive, thieving, prostitute of an ex-wife! :evil: *starts cussing in english, french, spanish, japanese, and russian*

*deeeeeeep breath* ok I feel better now. Since I absolutely refuse to continue a series when a book is missing until that book is replaced I have started reading "The Diamond Throne" by David Eddings. It is book 1 of the Elenium.
We don't die. We multiply.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Audio books are definitely not cheating.

I finished Blackout, the Connie Willis book I mentioned yesterday, only to find out that it ends in a cliffhanger. *sigh* Well, I would have read it right away anyway, but I stayed up really late finishing it because there was only a few percent left (on the Kindle, you get percent done instead of pages) and it looked for all the world like the three main characters were going to die. And then it was a cliffhanger ...
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

*Sigh*

Aye, cliffhangers suck.

I just hit one in RoTH. Well, the cliffhanger is in one chapter, with the finish in the next,,,
I WANT TO SLEEP BUT I CANT PUT THE BOOK DOWN!

What makes it so weird is that I know full well how it ends...

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Suzi
Realm: Elune US, Nesingwary US

Unread post by Suzi »

Vephriel wrote:Haha, yeah pretty much. They really are rather amateur compared to what I usually read, but I just love learning all the Warcraft lore that I can so I read them anyways. :3
Same here, if they didn't have Warcraft on the title I have to admit I probably wouldn't give them a second glance... but they do so I have to read them!

Although I have to hold my hands up and say I really loved Christie Golden's Lord of the Clans. Knaak's (and other Warcraft novelists) books aren't bad but they didn't draw me in like hers did. I actually felt something for the characters and it's one of the few books I've ever read that brought me to tears.

As for other books today I read through I Had a Black Dog and Living with a Black Dog, both by Matthew Johnstone. There wasn't much to read because it's mostly told through pictures, but for anyone with depression that wants to understand or wants to help someone else to understand what they're going through I think they're well worth a look.

Tivoni of the Petopians on Nesingwary-US

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Mm, yeah I agree with you Suzi. I also adored the Arthas book, though I was admittedly a bit bias as he's one of my favourite characters. ;)
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Yeah, totally forgot about discworld...
But then, this thread is called "What are you reading right now" and I'm not reading any discworld novel right now.

It's to bad that Mr. Pratchett won't be able to write any more books. He is such an awesome storyteller with exactly my sense of humor.
>>> Times Online: Terry Pratchetts disease <<<

His books will be sorely missed.
Mustafah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Mustafah »

Right now i read Israeli books, about the history of the country(Israel is a very interesting country with interesting past) about the Israeli leaders, there are alot of things i can say, but its hard to say all of them. Dont think i Only read History books :P I also read over books, i like most of the books, but ****Staying away from drama and romance books**** I guess im too young for that.

Lots of thanks for TygerDarkstorm for the awesome sig!! =D

Mustafah wrote:Playable Pandaren with racial camel mount!!!
Arkiss
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune

Unread post by Arkiss »

I'm currently reading "The Lost Dinosaurs of Egypt" by William Nothdurft which is about the Bahariya Oasis fossil bed in which such dinosaurs as Carcharodontosaurus, Spinosaurus and Aegyptosaurus were discovered. More correctly it follows the accounts of two expeditions to Egypt's Western Desert, the first by Ernst Stromer in 1910 and again by the Barahiya Dinosaur Project in 1999. The project's aim was to find new type specimens of said dinosaurs, as the originals collected by Stromer had been destroyed during the Allied bombing of Munich in 1944.

If you're not into paleontology, geography, geology or history, it might be a good idea to give this book a miss, since its likely to bore you to tears. If, in fact, one of these fields piques your interest (or if you're a gigantic nerd like me and you love all of those things) its worth reading. And since its just over 250 pages long its not a huge, unrewarding slog.

And in case you should wonder, and in case you should care...on that night of all nights, we were already there.

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Paleontology, geography, geology and history?
This make you go nerdy?
Geez... :lol:
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Linux for dummies.

Trying to learn about the command prompt, in order to put up a server.

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I'm taking a break from vampire pr0n to read Pretending to Be Normal: Living With Asperger's Syndrome by Liane Holliday Willey. The personal way that she talks about her thoughts and feelings is much easier for me to relate to than reading a list of symptoms in the DSM-IV. I don't have all the same peculiarities as the author, but I can definitely see some congruent trends in our lives.
Kalwen
Realm: Vek'Nilash-A, Lothar-A, Tanaris-H

Unread post by Kalwen »

Im currently reading book 3 of Mercedes Lackey's Dragon Jousters. They are my favorite books ever :D There are 4 books in total.
Darkteer

Unread post by Darkteer »

I just recently finished "Among The Enemy" by Haddix very good book. Now I'm reading "Among The Barons" by Haddix.
Calithila
Realm: Vek'nilash-Ally, Lothar-Ally, Tanaris-Horde

Unread post by Calithila »

I am a lover of reading and right now I am reading the 3rd book Sanctuary of the Dragon Jousters series written by Mercedes Lackey. But before I had started reading these books I had just finished reading Day Of The Dragon by Richard A Knaak.
ashtonfarell

Unread post by ashtonfarell »

Currently I am reading "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyvsky.
The next book will be "The life of PI"
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

A Villain's Guide to Better Living, by Neil Zawaki.

It is incredibly informative! I've been doing it all wrong for years!

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons