GUIDE: "What does x cap at?"

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

GUIDE: "What does x cap at?"

Unread post by Chrizesu »

Recently on several forums I've seen people asking what certain things cap at, so I'm making a guide for all of you capping junkies.

Physical HIT
Single one-handers go the same as two-handers. Special physical abilities go by two-hand and ranged hit values. Dual-Wield values are for white damage. Most rogues go for special ability hit cap or spell hit for poisons. Dual-wield tanking DKs normally focus on special ability hit cap. Hunters will go slightly over cap to make sure their pets cap as pet hit rounds down instead of up like players do. Keep in mind abilities like Frost DK's Nerves of Cold Steel, Enhancement Shaman's Dual Wield Specialization, Combat Rogue's Precision, MarksmanHunter's Focused Aim, and Fury Warrior's Precision. As well as the Draenei Heroic Presence.
Raid and Heroic
Two-Handers: 8% 262.32
Ranged Weapon: 8% 262.32
Dual-Wield: 27% 885.33
Level 80 PVE and PVP
Two-Handers: 5% 163.95
Ranged Weapon: 5% 163.95
Dual-Wield: 24% 786.96

Spell HIT
Several things are to be kept in mind when gearing for spell hit, such as talents and buffs/debuffs provided by you or other players. Hit debuffs do not stack. Buffs are Daenei Heroic Presence. Debuffs are Druid's Improved Faerie Fire or Priest's Misery. Talents are Balance Druid's Balance of Power, Unholy DK's Virulence, Frost Mage's Precision, Arcane Mage's Arcane Focus, Shadow Priest's Shadow Focus, Combat Rogue's Precision, Elemental Shaman's Elemental Precision, and Affliction Warlock's Surpression.
Raid and Heroic
Untalented with no buffs and debuffs: 17% 445.94
Level 80 PVE and PVP
Untalented with no buffs and debuffs: 4% 104.9

Expertise
Expertise is used by melee classes to decrease the change melee attacks will be dodged or parried. Both tanks and melee dps require this stat for maximum amount of chance to hit. Racials that affect expertise are the Orc Axe Specialization, the Dwarf Mace Specialization, the Human Mace Specialization, and the Human Sword Specialization. Paladins grant expertise with Seal of Vengeance or Seal of Corruption if they have Glyph of Seal of Vengeance. Talents that increase expertise are Protection Warrior's Vitality, Arms Warrior's Strength of Arms, Protection Paladin's Combat Expertise, Combat Rogue's Weapon Expertise, Feral Druid's Primal Precision, Blood DK's Veteran of the Third War, Frost DK's Tundra Stalker, Unholy DK's Rage of Rivendare, and Enhancement Shaman's Unleased Rage.
Raid and Heroic
Soft Cap: 26 expertise (214 expertise rating)
Hard Cap: 56 expertise (460 expertise rating)
Level 80 PVE and PVP
Could not find accurate information for below raids and heroics.
Messages concerning this requested if anyone can find good information.

Armor Penetration
All physical damage dps can use Armor Penetration, called ArP for short. It takes just about a math major to fully understand the armor penetration formulas. Buffs/Debuffs/Talents do not affect cap.
Hard Cap
100% armor armor reduction percent before actual reduction calculation.
Approx 1232 rating vs. 80 targets, 1400 vs. 83 targets (80 RAID bosses).

Defense
All tanks are familiar with this mechanic. Defense rating is a 'soft' cap as it is effected by diminishing returns.
Raid Uncritable:
540 Defense
80 dungeon/heroic Uncritable:
535 Defense

Resilience
Resilience can also be used to reach uncritable. Resilience has a cap at how much damage from criticals it can reduce. In PVP it also reduces crit damage taken, player damage taken, and mana drain taken.
Crit Reduction Cap
33%; 1414.5 resilience (level 80)
Uncritable level 80 Raids
5.6%; 460 resilience (level 80)

Casting Haste
In spell casting haste not only effects the speed of casts, but as well as global cooldowns and over time mechanics.
The soft cap is what it takes to get global cooldowns to approximately 1 second, at which point it will go no lower. There are talents such as restoration druid ones that effect how much raw haste it takes to get to a percentage.
Soft Cap
50% Haste or in raw values around 1639.5 (level 80)
Hard Cap
100% Haste or in raw values around 3279 (level 80)

References and Links:
WoWWiki: Physical Hit
WoWWiki: Spell Hit
WoWWiki: Expertise
WoWWiki: Armor Penatration
WoWWiki: Defense
WoWWiki: Resilience
WoWWiki: Spell Haste
MMO-Champ's Class Forums
Elititist Jerks Hunter Forum

To Mania and stable keepers: please don't revert or edit this thread. I'll make changes as appropriate.
Last edited by Chrizesu on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:26 am, edited 15 times in total.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Saturo

Re: GUIDE: "What does x cap at?"

Unread post by Saturo »

Actually, if you roll an alli toon there's a high chance of there being a Draenei in your raid, which would make the cap at 7%.

It's even gone as far as some sites telling us to only gear for 7% total rating.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Saturo wrote:Actually, if you roll an alli toon there's a high chance of there being a Draenei in your raid, which would make the cap at 7%.

It's even gone as far as some sites telling us to only gear for 7% total rating.
Read the notes under the hit ratings. I cover all talent and spell additions.

I suppose I should color the links. Sorry color blind people.

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I would never depend on a Draenei being in my raid, since it's only a party-wide buff and you can't always guarantee that you'll be partied with one.

Well, at least not in a casual guild; maybe hardcore raiding guilds with set rosters are different.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Kalliope wrote:I would never depend on a Draenei being in my raid, since it's only a party-wide buff and you can't always guarantee that you'll be partied with one.

Well, at least not in a casual guild; maybe hardcore raiding guilds with set rosters are different.
Yeah, us hordies get nothing like that. Although, the cap is actually easy to reach.

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Chrizesu wrote:
Kalliope wrote:I would never depend on a Draenei being in my raid, since it's only a party-wide buff and you can't always guarantee that you'll be partied with one.

Yeah, us hordies get nothing like that. Although, the cap is actually easy to reach.
Omg yes Chriz! I'm waaay over cap with no hit gems and just whatchamacallit on my boots (what's that, 10 hit?). I hate it, it's so hard to balance with the higher level gear. :cry:

Kalliope, I find most raids will move the draenei around to accommodate for people's hit cap if you just ask. In fact, I don't remember ever being in a raid, even pug raids, where they wouldn't.

Great guide, Chriz. Mind if I share it with my guild? Full credits, of course. :)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Sarayana wrote:
Chrizesu wrote:

Omg yes Chriz! I'm waaay over cap with no hit gems and just whatchamacallit on my boots (what's that, 10 hit?). I hate it, it's so hard to balance with the higher level gear. :cry:

Kalliope, I find most raids will move the draenei around to accommodate for people's hit cap if you just ask. In fact, I don't remember ever being in a raid, even pug raids, where they wouldn't.

Great guide, Chriz. Mind if I share it with my guild? Full credits, of course. :)
I wouldn't have made it if I didn't want it shared. ;D

Sarayana

Thankya :D

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Kalliope

Sarayana wrote:Kalliope, I find most raids will move the draenei around to accommodate for people's hit cap if you just ask. In fact, I don't remember ever being in a raid, even pug raids, where they wouldn't.
Oh, I know. I just don't count on there always being a Draenei in a 10m raid, for example.

As for pugs on my server......lol.

Don't get me started. >_<

YouTube Edition

Sarayana

Kalliope wrote:
Sarayana wrote:Kalliope, I find most raids will move the draenei around to accommodate for people's hit cap if you just ask. In fact, I don't remember ever being in a raid, even pug raids, where they wouldn't.
Oh, I know. I just don't count on there always being a Draenei in a 10m raid, for example.

Heh.. I suppose I didn't think about that since I'm a draenei. >_<

Sorry to hear about your server. Hopefully your guild provides ample raiding opportunities so you don't have to pug.

Kalliope

Sarayana wrote:
Kalliope wrote:

Heh.. I suppose I didn't think about that since I'm a draenei. >_<

Sorry to hear about your server. Hopefully your guild provides ample raiding opportunities so you don't have to pug.
I've been thinking about it for the past month, since our shaman was taking a break and therefore, we had no Draenei in one of my 10ms. xD Wasn't an issue for me, but it did make a difference for our warlock! ;)

And yes, thankfully, I don't have to pug raids, for the most part. Yay for my guildies and friends! When I do have to pug raids, though, the key is to run with the non-clowny raid leaders who actually put together pugs that stand a chance. :) Unfortunately, those are few and far between... Have led a few in the past myself, but it's generally not worth the grief of dealing with rude people.

YouTube Edition

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Are Pets affected by Heroic Presence though? If not, you would still need to gear for the full 8%

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

I do believe they are, if I remember correctly from my brief stint playing a lowbie Draenei hunter.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415