Buying a laptop

Hanuremeap
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Tenenas

Buying a laptop

Unread post by Hanuremeap »

I'm thinking about buying a laptop to play WoW on but I don't know what spec i need. Anyone got any ideas as to what I would need to play WoW and it's expansions (including Cata)?

Hanuremeap & Kreature

My Dragon Cave

Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Re: Buying a laptop

Unread post by Dulanie »

your best bet is to look at the suggested system requirements for Wrath then upgrade them since they will probably be the minimum for Cata. You can call Dell or Geek Squad at Bestbuy. Just tell them you want to laptop that will handle Warcraft and the Cata xpac. Or you could just get the new alienware laptop that http://www.QVC.com has.
We don't die. We multiply.
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

I would also try to keep in mind what else you want the laptop for. Is it exclusively gaming? Are you going to use it for work also? Questions like that would help you spec out your computer more.

For example I'm primarily an art student, and after doing a lot of research and a lot of asking around, I ended up determining that a mac would be better for the graphics programs I continually use (Photoshop, Maya, etc etc). I picked a laptop that was capable of doing these things, but could also run WoW. The sacrifice I make is that I can't play most other PC games, which are (duh) for PC's, but seeing as WoW is the only MMO I play I was willing to put up with that.

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

With computers, it's always the same...
Just buy the fastest CPU, the best graphics board and as much memory as you can afford.

Don't worry... By the time you carried your new, shiny laptop from the shop to your home, it'll be out of date already... ;) And the next game will already be "to much" for whatever you have bought.

I have a Quadcore, 4 x 2,2 GHz, 3GB RAM and a Nvidia 9800, 512 MB graphics board. And Dalaran still makes my computer groan in agony. I really wonder what people, who only meet minimum requirements have to do...
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

Well, I use a netbook that I've tweaked around a bit to make WoW run better. My framerate averages around 20 most of the time, but busy places like Dalaran or battlegrounds tend to take the framerate below 5 - had it go to 0.3 yesterday. XD But I'm fairly happy with my laptop, it has surprised me many a time.

Dulanie, does your Macbook run WoW well? I've been thinking of getting a second laptop and as I too use my laptop for art, you woke my interest.
Hanuremeap
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Tenenas

Unread post by Hanuremeap »

I only really need the laptop for a Thursday night group i play with (I go to my grandma's basement XD) and for my Dad so he can play along side me and my brother aswell as play downstairs so my mother doesn't complain. So in short I need it for WoW lol.

So thanks all for your help and if i get one I will tell you what i decided to get :)

Hanuremeap & Kreature

My Dragon Cave

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Safrienaer wrote: Dulanie, does your Macbook run WoW well? I've been thinking of getting a second laptop and as I too use my laptop for art, you woke my interest.
I'm not Dulanie but I can speak for my own Macbook Pro. It runs WoW exceptionally well! My biggest problem playing World of Warcraft isn't the computer; it's the internet connection, which is entirely the fault of my school at present time (when I was at home the connection was beautiful).

It handles graphics very well and I've never really had a problem with it. Other than adjusting to different key commands, which took a while since the Mac keyboards are a little different XD There are some issues with overheating (even playing for an hour or two will make it almost burn to the touch), but from what I've read that seems to be a problem with macbooks in general. A good cooling pad usually solves the problem; at least, I haven't had any major issues with it since I bought one.
I have a Quadcore, 4 x 2,2 GHz, 3GB RAM and a Nvidia 9800, 512 MB graphics board. And Dalaran still makes my computer groan in agony. I really wonder what people, who only meet minimum requirements have to do...
Man....before Wrath came out, I ran WoW and BC on the PC laptop I had before my mac, on minimum requirements. That. HURT. If I wanted to do anything in a city I always had to go to Silvermoon because it was so deserted, and even then I lagged constantly. Orgrimmar was a nightmare. I never went to Shattrath if I could help it; when I did have to go, I went in the mornings when nobody was on to turn in quests and train and whatnot. And the pre-Wrath zombie infestation? That hurt SO bad....*shudder*

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

I remember using dialup when I first started playing. :o :shock: Major cities were fun :x :roll:

I actually don't use a macbook. I use a toshiba laptop, and a dell PC, and I agree with VelkynKarma. When using a laptop of any kind you should always use a cooling pad. If I could affourd it I would have http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view ... -ray--Bose
for a PC and for a laptop I would use the alienware laptop they have with the M17x core i7.
We don't die. We multiply.