What is pvp?

Soulhoarder
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Madoran

What is pvp?

Unread post by Soulhoarder »

I'm thinking about starting a character on a pvp realm but I don't know what you do in pvp so that's the question. I also wanted to know the best race/class for pvp. Do you get experiance from pvp?
I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
-Michael Jordan
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: What is pvp?

Unread post by Azunara »

PvP = Player vs. Player combat.

Yes, you get exp in battlegrounds, the main source of PvP combat. I find druids are awesome for PvP, as well as pallies.

Lastly, with PvP servers, you're home area is safe, but after that, you're perma-PvP flagged. Anyone can get you.
Arwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Arwyn »

In a nut shell: In PvP you can expect to get attacked by players of the opposing faction in nearly every contested area, those areas that aren't controlled by Alliance or Horde, unlike in PvE were in contested areas your a neutral target and can't be attacked UNLESS you become flagged for PvP combat from killing a faction's guard, npc, or player already flagged for another player to attack you. Also in PvE unless you become flagged PvP combat is generally found in the BGs.

Race/class for PvP? Well..decide which race you like and which class you like and check on what PvP builds are available for that class. (I find it hard to suggest a race/class because not everyone out there likes Tauren Hunters.)

Experience. You do gain experience doing quests on PvP realms like you would on PvE realms. But it just takes a little longer because instead of just having to deal with npc mobs you will be dealing with other players who want your hide.

Now PvP realms can be just as much fun as PvEs because of the challenge of dealing with other players. Whether its because your the one being hunted and trying to find away to turn the tables on the other player whose hunting you. Or because your the hunter and trying to figure out how to take down the other player your hunting.

But if you begin to gripe and whine that you can't stand being ganked or because you hate how much game time you wasted because your corpse was camped or you wish other characters would leave you alone be prepared to not get much sympathy. Because being ganked, by characters your level or even higher, having your corpse camped, and having other characters bother you ARE part of the PvP experience.

Now these are old, but wow.com, not the main wow site, has two interesting articles that give helpful tips:

WOW Rookie: Welcome to PVP
WOW Rookie: 20 tips for PvP realm leveling
Soulhoarder
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

How are undead rogues in pvp?
I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
-Michael Jordan
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Just a minor suggestion, if you're looking for the best of the best and min/maxing and all that, you might want to try out some other WoW forums that are more focused on that sort of thing.

First and foremost we're a pet loving community, so it seems a bit counter-intuitive to be asking us when there's many other places better off. =)
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

i agree with veph here your better off...i hate to say this...going to another forums i even *shudders as he says* suggest the official WoW forums!
Soulhoarder
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

I made a topic on wow forums.
-Michael Jordan
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Soulhoarder wrote:I made a topic on wow forums.
EVIL!

If you want tips on... Well, basically everything, may I suggest searching on www.wowwiki.com too. It's got mostly everything.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Saturo wrote:
Soulhoarder wrote:I made a topic on wow forums.
EVIL!
^

Anyway, any class is capable of pvp, with some having a slight edge. Mainly, though, it comes down to skill. When you're new to pvp, you could be playing the pvp class du jour and still eat dirt constantly... but if you work at it and really try to improve your skills, you can play whatever the current "worst" pvp class is and excel.

Side note of slight relevance to this board: I remember an article on wowinsider back during tbc, describing how one of the top arena players in the world was a hunter. That was at the same time that hunter forums suffered from overloads of QQ about pvp. Put it in a nice perspective, and really drives the point home, it's the player, not the class.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3