Highest DPS Pet in Cata?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Heleos
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Medivh

Highest DPS Pet in Cata?

Unread post by Heleos »

I used the search and didn't find anything so I really hope my post isn't a duplicate being such a common question but...

Are Devilsaurs still the highest DPS as Beast mastery?
Heleos
Night Elf Hunter
Medivh- US
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: Highest DPS Pet in Cata?

Unread post by Cozzene »

There isn't.

Do you have a warrior using battle shout? A shammy using str of Earth? A DK using Horn? If not, use a cat.
Do you have a feral druid or a fury warrior? If not, use a wolf.

See the pattern? Someone had a flow chart in here somewhere...
Heleos
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Medivh

Unread post by Heleos »

Whew good, I wouldn't want to be forced to use a Devilsaur!
Heleos
Night Elf Hunter
Medivh- US
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Honestly, you can roll with just about anything these days. Even tenacity pets do respectable damage. I wouldn't necessarily take one into a progression raid, but now that the attack power of pets has been normalized across the board, you could get away with taking something like a warp stalker if you want. I'm also hearing that Cunning pets are faring rather well now that the talent trees got a little bit of tweaking (sometimes even doing better than ferocity!). Right now I'm using all ferocity pets but that's just coincidence, they're ones I've had a long time or have recently fallen in love with. Heck, for a while I thought my fox was Cunning until I looked at his talent tree a bit closer and saw he was ferocity. I don't really pay much attention to their specs at this point in time. Not til I'm raiding and it gets a wee bit more serious.

Anyhow, TL:DR, you can basically use whatever you like if you're questing and/or doing 5-mans. Have fun!!!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Undra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Undra »

As Bm, if you're raiding or heroicing and all relevant buffs and debuffs are covered, you pick up a worm and spec it for dps. It's your aoe, where as MM gets barrage and Survival gets Serpent spread.

That is the "highest dps pet".

But if there isn't a shaman or a mage, your group will love a core hound. If there's only one paladin or no druids, that shale spider is nice. No priests? Silithids have your back.

it's all context senstive.
Feath3r
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Feath3r »

Basically, instead of being required to bring one pet we now have to bring four depending on our spec. BM covers buffs (Marks/Kings, Fortitude, Bloodlust/Heroism plus a little extra healing) while all Hunters can cover "extra" things (+damage taken, -healing, +Crit, etc)

I'd take whatever you want, because most pets cover some form of buff so you aren't "nerfing" the group to bring what you want since most pets can fill some hole. I take my Spirit Beast more often than not because I love my Ghostcrawler and I get the extra plus of giving +str/agi AND a tiny heal that has saved the tank because it gave the healer that extra second to get off a heal or healed the DPS that took a punch to the face so the healer wouldn't have to.

Damage isn't our big concern anymore, it's more "Which buff would best benefit this group?"
Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

Look at your raid, see what classes and specs make it up, and choose five pets accordingly. You're good to go.

slic123
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Balnazzar

Unread post by slic123 »

Basically; this is a list I made for survival. It wont apply as much for BM, since it doesn't cover exotics, but it's still worth looking into:
http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 66#p165766

Fantasy is all you need
Marrakech
Realm: Quel'dorei

Unread post by Marrakech »

Huge fan of petopia, just now posting for the first time :D

I pve as Survival, not BM, but I do have a BM spec. I have my own method of testing out basic pet dps. Now some of you may say my method is flawed, but it works great for me.

I have recount running that shows my pets dps separately. I auto attack the target for trinket procs, and let my pet do its thing. I do not use kill command, and I leave my pets attacks on auto. I let this run for 5 minutes and then record the over all dps. I do this for all of my pets to see the damage spread. Curiously even as a BM hunter, my cat had a higher DPS output then my wolf, devilsaur, spirit beast, or core hound.

I usually run with my Cat in 5 mans even if we have a DK. I find that most DKs are not bright enough to keep their Horn blown ;)
Davarra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kargath, Suramar, Eitrigg, Korialstrasz, Nagrand

Unread post by Davarra »

Rhyela wrote:Honestly, you can roll with just about anything these days. Even tenacity pets do respectable damage. I wouldn't necessarily take one into a progression raid, but now that the attack power of pets has been normalized across the board, you could get away with taking something like a warp stalker if you want.
I've been enjoying a dps spec'd squee spider for grouping. Yes, it's tenacity. Yes, I have every dps talent I could pick on him and minimized any tanking ones. Yes, the little guy is just stinkin' ADORABLE! I've never had a pet who seemed so utterly enthusiastic, overjoyed even, to be sent into battle.

EDIT: With the exp issue originally in limbo, I'd decided to pick 4-5 pets to ensure, NO MATTER WHAT, I got to 84 at least before I dinged 85 so the last level would be tolerable enough while I did JP grinding/gear camping.

For Davarra (MM, tho not for much longer/BM):

1. Spike the ravager...I'm sentimental, he was one of my original set, and one I've always been very fond of. Is he the BEST? Prolly not once I picked up BM, but most groups can benefit at least somewhat.

2. Murloc (Loque)....I camped him too long and wanted him tooooooo bad not to. Plus, he holds up pretty well in almost all situations.

3. Gondria....I got her a few hours before expansion went live, it was meant to be. I don't care if she'll turn out exactly the same as Murloc, they're both very beloved.

4. Bug the beetle...DPS spec, a bit of an impulse, basically "Hey, that's kinda pretty.." but also tough as nails.

4b. Velketor the squee spider. Didn't think I'd like em as much from the pic as I did once I saw em. Smaller, plus a group friendly ability...a bit easier to sweet talk folks into letting me get by with. Replaced Bug in the rota once I got this lil guy.

5. Rocket the purple croc. Full tank, and oh so pretty! Saw the night before I got to that quest, told hubby "I must have this thing!" and wisely he just decided to go along.

Lyrothea (Surv/BM)

1. Jadefire: Her original ravager, and her first dps pet. Take most of what I said about Spike, apply here.

2. Helbacon the helboar...another dps tenacity. He's ever so much fun to bring out with warrior/rogue/feral groups, and honestly my go-to pet for most tough soloing.

3. Ran the fox: Group utility and I'm a Touhou fan. Deal with it :-)

4. Crash the Devilsaur...I wanted this skin so bad it hurt on Davarra and had no luck. Yay second chances? He really is tough and SUCH a charmer, tho.

5. Runty the core hound. Bite me, I RP. I went back and carried his tiny self out, fed him up, and he's just as big as his brothers would have been. If I have enough stable slots at the end, I'll go rescue his brothers too!

I really wanted Gondria or Skoll on her, but she was an impulse spec change about 15 min into Hyjal and it's a long way back.

I haven't finalized Sunhawke's list yet, but it's lookin real good for her first cat Nanaki, and Arikara the windserp. She's surv, with a ret pally partner, so...

I'll go back and try to give Lyro's windserp another chance but he totally didn't click so far, and I'm debating about just getting a dragonhawk for her surv spec, but I'm hesitant between "Put that big pet up, huntard!" and "ur usin the rong pet noob!".

Which is the lesser of the evils?
Last edited by Davarra on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sig and av by the very talented Kurenio!

Slickrock4

Unread post by Slickrock4 »

If you are soloing, a cat or spirit beast is probably the best, as you'll benefit the most from theoir buff.

If in a group, well, that's already been covered here. :-)