Random Pet Challenge [v3.0]

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage - A, Thrall - H

Random Pet Challenge [v3.0]

Unread post by Kormai »

Brought to you by Kormai and TygerDarkstorm

The Random Pet Challenge
The Random Pet Challenge is a fun way for hunters to try out and perhaps bond with pets/families they wouldn't normally have tamed. You, the hunter, give me your character's relevant information and from that I will assign you a randomly determined pet. You then go find this pet, tame it, test it, maybe take some screen shots, and then post a review of the pet and your experiences. Thus helping other hunters interested in that pet skin or pet family to get a better idea of what the pet is like or capable of.

How To Participate
To sign up for a random pet, post in this topic and give me your hunter's name, their level, if they can/want to tame exotics, and any specific pet families you really really can't stand or have way too many of.

Name:
Level:
Exotics:
Restrictions:

NOTE: Please understand that the more restrictions you place in the last section, the less "random" your assigned pet will be and how much harder it is for me to roll you a pet.

How It Works
Once you have given me your hunter's information I will use either /roll or the online D&D dice (they have an option to input whatever number to roll) to randomly determine your assigned pet. I'll roll first for which family (excluding your restrictions and all exotics if so desired) and then roll again for which skin within the family, taking into consideration the level of your hunter. Spirit Beasts are automatically excluded from all rolls, and if I roll a rare only skin or a rare is the only mob available for your level, I will post that one along with another randomly rolled alternative. The same situation goes for if I roll an instance only skin, such as Chromaggus, and it would be hard for you to get to on your own.

The Pet
Now that you have your assigned pet, use the link to find out where to get this pet and go tame it. Spend some time with it, get to know it by doing some of the following ideas:

- Name it
- Do some dailies
- Stare at it
- Go farming
- Run a dungeon
- Watch it swim
- Do a battleground
- Take some screenshots

NOTE: If I roll a pet that you currently have or have had in the past, please write a review if you can and ask me for a reroll.

The Review
After you've gotten to know your pet a little better and have decided to keep them or release them, please come back and tell us about your experience. Report the results of any experiments you did, if you liked the pet or not and why, say if you would keep this pet or tame another pet of the same family. Other ideas of what to report your thoughts on:

- Model
- Skin
- Animations
- Sound effects
- Food requirements
- Tanking ability
- DPS output
- Pet family abilities
- Utility

NOTE: If you would like another roll once you're done the report for the first one, please use the full request format (name, level, exotics, restrictions). That way I don't have to sift through posts to find your original request.

Rares I Have by Cialbi
In this new section you can put down any unique rares you have tamed that you wouldn't mind writing a review about. Or if you are currently camping Aotona/<insert rare name here> and would tame her/it regardless, you could probably put those in this section too. This extra section would be completely optional, and you would only put a rare in this category if you were willing to write a report on them. This way, people can see other hunters' opinions on the very rare pets before they go and spend hours/days/weeks camping them.

Example request:
Cialbi wrote:Name: Cialbi
Level: 85
Exotics: Sure
Restrictions: No monkeys or red bats
Rares I Have: Arcturis, Albino Eyegouger, The Razza, Grubthor, Zora
NOTE: As mentioned before this is completely optional!

Thanks for reading and I hope you have fun!

Credits
Acherontia's Random Pet Challenge version1
Slic123's Random Pet Challenge version2
Last edited by Kormai on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thrall | Kormai - 100 Blood Elf Hunter | Kari - 100 Undead Hunter | Sintharia - 100 Blood Elf Warlock | Rhoxi - 100 Goblin Mage
Stormrage | Kormai - 100 Draenei Hunter | Kari - 6 Worgen Hunter
...and so many other alts!
Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Venture co., Duskwood, Hydraxis, Draka

Re: Random Pet Challenge [v3.0]

Unread post by Pawtrack »

Can I try? :3 I have a little newbie hunter who would like to find some new pets. (hope she's not too low?)

Name: Velyana (forum name is pawtrack, not sure if you meant that or the character's name)
Level: 13.
Exotics: she's too low level anyway, so no.
Restrictions: I allready have a moonstalker (the black fur and white striped cat), so not another one of those XD

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Eh, may as well give me a go :) I'll try and review it even if I have or have had one in the past.

Name: Acherontia
Level: 1-85
Exotics: Either
Restrictions: No spiders, if possible; my last review was on a spider and I had to skip the last one do to being rolled a 2nd one :lol:

Thanks, and cool to see this idea still rolling :)
Syriana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel

Unread post by Syriana »

The other challenge looked fun, so I'd like to get in on this. :)

Name: Syriana
Exotics: yes, rares and instance pets, or rares from an instance I'm open to also
Restrictions: Monkeys, Gorillas
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

Name: Lunania.
Exotics: I can, but I rarely go BM.
Restrictions: Cats, Wolves, Spirit Beasts (I have too many of those three), and Silithids (-twitches-).

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

Name: Siliverin
Exotics: Yes :)
Restrictions: Moneys,Gorillas,crabs,spiders,mastiffs
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Er, I've encountered a small problem.
I was assigned the Color-changing crocolisk. I looked for the non-dungeon version and had no luck... And trying to solo-tame the dungeon one did not end up working very well. >.> Is it possible to get a re-roll, or should I tame one of the colors of Crocolisk and just review that? Either option is fine. :-)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

New rolls (Including un-rolled on requests from version2):

Akycha
Yellow Raptor

Kalhoun
Purple Demon Dog

Merlynshade (Gypsí)
Black Axe Monkey

Siliverin
Tan Wolf

Pawtrack (Velyana)
Colour-Changing Mastiff

Acherontia
Violet Dragonhawk

Syriana
Blue Serpent

Aleu (Lunania)
Grey Fox

:::OR:::

Green Warp Stalker

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Is it possible to get a re-roll, or should I tame one of the colors of Crocolisk and just review that?
Rerolled for you:

Lupis (Lassaa)
Brown Sporebat

Thrall | Kormai - 100 Blood Elf Hunter | Kari - 100 Undead Hunter | Sintharia - 100 Blood Elf Warlock | Rhoxi - 100 Goblin Mage
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Kormai wrote:Recent rolls from Random Pet Challenge version2 that have not been reported on yet:

Cialbi
Colour-Changing Monkey
Gah. I'll have to delay this further until this weekend, I'm afraid :(
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

If you can't do it yet don't worry about it. I can leave it there or I can remove it and forget about it and you can just post for a reroll whenever you feel ready. No pressure!

Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

Ironically enough, I just tamed Ashtail. XD Go figure. I think I'll settle for the Warpstalker then.

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

I think I'd like to give this another shot on some of my lowbie hunters.

Name: Leata
Level: Lvl 30 Dwarf MM
Preferences: I like going after pets in Horde zones. I like a challenge!

Name: Toeph
Level: lvl 23 Tauren SV
Restrictions: Nothing from Tedrassil or Azuremyst/Bloodmyst isles please. Too much of a pain in the ass to get there at low levels. (and yes, I know that's the opposite of Leata. Toeph isn't quite as adventerous)

Name: Lydeea
Level: lvl 43 Forsaken SV
Restrictions: I'd like either mostly black or white pets, to fit with her current colour theme. Nothing too cute or cuddly please either (she's a Forsaken, she has an image to uphold ;P )

My characters' names are linked to their armoury pet pages. For all of them, I'd prefer not to tame families that specific toon already has a member of, and if I have that specific skin on one hunter, I don't want it on another, thanks. Also, no tallstriders, monkeys, gorillas or anything rotting please.

If any of these prove too difficult, just let me know.

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Aleu wrote:Ironically enough, I just tamed Ashtail. XD Go figure. I think I'll settle for the Warpstalker then.
If you tamed it, make a report on it. That's what this challenge is about.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Raziya
Realm: Ravencrest

Unread post by Raziya »

Name: Malaika
Exotics: Yes
Restrictions: None

I love taming everything so I look forward to what you ask of me! :)
Serendipity82
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Serendipity82 »

I gave the red/black Outlands wind serpent a thorough try. I have to say at first I wasn't really fond of his coloring, but it has grown on me. He has almost brick red body, with black accents around the wings and along his back, while his belly is a steel gray. Eventually I named him Twizzler because he reminded me of licorice candy :-P
WoWScrnShot_012411_154501.jpg
WoWScrnShot_012411_154501.jpg (260.54 KiB) Viewed 5695 times
After I tamed him, we went and ran all our dailies and I must say, he tanks quite well for a non-tenacity pet. I was very impressed. He continued to be quite the little meat sheild as we headed over to Twilight Highlands to continue questing there for awhile. His dps wasn't too shabby either.
WoWScrnShot_012411_155634.jpg
WoWScrnShot_012411_155634.jpg (292.12 KiB) Viewed 5695 times
Then we went and ran Heroic something or other (I honostly can't remember what it was). The group was lacking a Shaman so I had to put Twizzler away and bring out Riot, my Corehound.

Then this evening I logged in and still had Twizzler as my active pet quite to my own surprise. I have to say, I wasn't a fan of Wind Serpents, but this guy really impressed me. I have a feeling he may be sticking around for awhile :)

I'd like to buy another please. I'm sorry my responses are so slow.

Maybe this time I do my Tauren Hunter:

Elsi
Level 46
Exotics: too little
No restrictions otherwise
WoWScrnShot_012411_162954.jpg
WoWScrnShot_012411_162954.jpg (352.18 KiB) Viewed 5695 times
Last edited by Serendipity82 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Ah what the heck, I'll take another! :D

Name: Vephriel
Restrictions: No Gorillas or Monkeys please =)
Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Venture co., Duskwood, Hydraxis, Draka

Unread post by Pawtrack »

Review of the color-changing mastiff:

Well, normally I don't like color-changing pets as much, but I had a fun time with this mastiff. Decided to name him Stamina, because it took a lot of stamina and determination to travel all the way to gilneas from teldrassil. It was kind of weird and it seemed like I had two different pets and two different skins. Animation/sound/looks-wise he was okay. The swimming and, to a lesser extent, the running animations bug me slightly, and the sound I don't really care about, though it's kind of snarly and growly so if you're not a fan of the female worgen's snuffling and sniffing sounds you might not like the mastiff's fighting sounds. Very cute, and I loved the hanging jowels, though he doesn't have pupils... which is kind of strange imo :?

Anyway, a tough pet to get as alliance, but well worth it if you're a dog lover IRL, or want a cute, color-changing pet.

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Image was my challenge.

Since I was in Org I decided to go pick up little Death Flayer out in Durotar (for any lowbies interested in him, he roams next to the broken bridge into the Barrens).

Looks wise, these guys are kind of neat. They're a very shiny black with bright red spots all over them that almost look orange in the right light. As I was taking photos of little DeathFlayer (I know, been a bit uncreative with names for the last couple of these >_>), I noticed that his face is sort of perpetually angry looking with his coloring.

For an older model, they're pretty solid and I couldn't really find any errors.

Their animations and sounds are cute as well. I love the way they walk, swim, and fight. And I'm sure we all love the little "raise the roof" idle they do. ;)

Took this guy out to TH only to be disappointed that I haven't unlocked my Dragonmaw dailies yet to test him against that elite dwarf guy that's supposed to be a two person (but soloable) quest. So, instead, he just went on basic questing with me. I specced him like a full blooded tank. In SV spec, MD was definitely necessary. He had been doing okay on aggro at first and then randomly dropped it and I had to run around kiting a bit. =x

Overall, I feel that scorpids are more suited to PvP than PvE, however, against hard hitting melee mobs (very common in some of the new Cata zones!), their disarm can prove to be actually quite life saving for them as it'll mean you have to mend pet much less. ^_^
This guy's looks aren't bad, but I much prefer my little girl, Selket (black Madexx).

(And just as a side note, I named and tamed my Madexx quite a bit before Xcturnus made a post about his Madexx so no, I didn't copy him for the name. ;>_>)

Another round please.
Name: Vitani
Level: 84
No Restrictions

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Unread post by Kalhoun »

I was assigned the purple demon dog.

I decided to get the one out of Karazhan, and kill the Huntsman on the way for the mount. No mount dropped, so I was soon heading to where I guessed the demon dogs would be (as you enter Kara, there's a door immediately on the right that leads into a series of rooms filled with spiders, bats and various demon dogs).

I love demon dogs; I have a blue runed one in my stable. Their special (a root) seems more geared towards PVP, and I don't PVP, but their models are too cute for me to not have one. Their idle animation is a little bounce, like they jump a bit in place. They also will actually swat whatever they're attacking with a paw. Last I checked, they lack a swim animation. Also, when they are tamed, they're quite small.

I named my purple demon dog Muppet, and took him to grind some meat for leveling cooking. Being a Ferocity pet, things died quickly enough.

I can't really complain about these guys other than their special - but there's no reason you couldn't use one to solo anyways.

And now for pictures of Kalhoun and Muppet's exciting adventure.

=========================

And sure, I'll go again.

Kalhoun
Any lvl
No exotics
No windserpents or birds, please
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

I'm happy you liked your black and red scorpid, Tyger! That model was my first pet waaayy back when Cerah was level 10. Scorponok wasn't Deathflayer, but the now-extinct Corrupted Scorpid model -- I found him in front of the old Org-UC zeppelin tower. He was quite the loyal companion the whole time Cerah was leveling, and I still have him. I'm never letting go of my little cutie scorpid, even if I find Maddex. :)

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!