Foxes on the PTR?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pemburu

Foxes on the PTR?

Unread post by pemburu »

Hi,

I have a question for those on the PTR, are the foxes fixed? At the moment, i know foxes have some weird behavioral AI bug that causes it to attack a "nearby" critter after its killed a target. This is a few dangerous problem as of right now i cant bring any of my foxes to dungeons or even leveling for the fear it will run across the area just to kill a critter and aggro the whole place.

Can those on the PTR check if this has been fixed?

Thanks.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Re: Foxes on the PTR?

Unread post by Varethyn »

This isn't a bug but an unfortunate side-effect of pet AOE special attacks. Basically when your fox used tail spin it caught a critter in the AOE radius and thus added it to the "must attack" list, so once all the current targets are dead it will automatically run after the critter if it still lives.
I don't know what's happening on the PTR about it, but I too would like an "ignores critters" feature like Blizz added into mages' Flame Orb.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

pemburu

Unread post by pemburu »

Ya ..i read abt the "aoe radius" problem.... but i'm currently questing in hyjal and i've seen it attack a critter more than 10 yards away...and in the opposite direction of where it was was attacking a mob.... and also it just went for one of the critters when there was another critter nearby the critter it killed. So now i dont know what to think.... i've even seen it attack a critter LOS, over and across the hill.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

Ah I see. Well, the only explanation I can think for that is, the critter in question was in the radius at the time and fled far enough to look like it was aggro'd from a distance... those little buggers run quite fast. The fox then possibly used tail spin again just as it killed the first critter and so caught the second one too.
I could be wrong :)

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

It HAD been mentioned as a "to be fixed," although as Varethyn said it is scripted behavior rather than strictly a bug. Next time I'll on I'll have a look and see if they still do it, unless someone else beats me to it :)
Mozag
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

It's a shame that it can (and does!) mess up dungeon pulls, because I happen to find it a delightful little quirk that makes playing with a fox just that much better (can it even GET better!?). I'm sure many of you would agree. Still, for the sake of being able to use them in instances, it would be great if they'd fix the issue.

As for doing it, I played through a couple of lowbie instances with a fox today, and I didn't see him running madly towards critters, ditto soloing...so maybe they fixed it already?
Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

Varethyn wrote:This isn't a bug but an unfortunate side-effect of pet AOE special attacks. Basically when your fox used tail spin it caught a critter in the AOE radius and thus added it to the "must attack" list, so once all the current targets are dead it will automatically run after the critter if it still lives.
I don't know what's happening on the PTR about it, but I too would like an "ignores critters" feature like Blizz added into mages' Flame Orb.
Shouldn't that be "solved" by keeping the pet on passive?

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Miyon wrote: Shouldn't that be "solved" by keeping the pet on passive?
Wait...maybe that's why my fox wasn't doing it in the dungeons today......errrrrdeeerp! Yeah, ignore me. Nothing to see here. *facepalm*

My fox is not yet a level 20, so doesn't have the skill

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I know that they still do it on live. Grinding with my Tallstrider (who has the same issue with dust cloud) I was having it run off randomly. So on live, it's definitely still around.

I haven't tried on the PTR yet. Shouldn't be too hard to test out.

EDIT: Just tested it out. Sure enough, tailspin on the PTR still aggroes critters, and the critters are still then chased by the fox. So keep that in mind. Being on 'passive' *does* keep it from chasing an aggroed critter, though. And you should probably be on passive in dungeons anyway. ;)
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

Mine is always passive in dungeons and such. In fact, I have hot keyed it to my mouse, so I don't have to click buttons all over my keyboard to get the pet to attack. But yeah, my foxes have never done that :)

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

You guys are forgetting the MAIN 'breaking' of foxes and dogs.

They still lack Charge out of their talent trees. I keep reporting it on live and haven't gotten any response whatsoever about it.

Has Bliz fixed this yet? Or is it still a great reason to not use these?

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

This was asked in a different thread, Nachtwulf. And as reported in that thread, Charge is in Dog and Fox trees on the PTR. This is not a 'hotfix' thing; you'll need to wait for the patch to go live before that can be fixed. So reporting it to the GMs won't help at all. :)
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Miyon wrote:
Varethyn wrote:This isn't a bug but an unfortunate side-effect of pet AOE special attacks. Basically when your fox used tail spin it caught a critter in the AOE radius and thus added it to the "must attack" list, so once all the current targets are dead it will automatically run after the critter if it still lives.
Shouldn't that be "solved" by keeping the pet on passive?
They've already made some AoEs no longer affect critters, so I don't see why Tailspin, Dust Could, Demo Roar and Demo Screech can't all be changed so that they do nothing to critters in their AoE.
Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Uldum

Unread post by Epicfail »

I consider this problem less of a bug and more of an unintentional, but very cool RP aspect of foxes. Because foxes are clearly the most intellegent pets we can tame and evil should not be underestimated... no matter how cute it is...

...and now that my master and I have vanquished Deathwing, the greatest foe of all time... I shall now slay the unsuspecting rabbit near him... clearly, the rabbit was in league with the evil dragon and therefore must be slain... munch munch... and savoured... nom....nom...
:spies another rabbit: clearly the *munch munch* first rabbit didn't work alone... I support the twin rabbit conspiracy mea....deal... yeah. Nom....

edit... btw, I ended up naming my ashtail as "FoxNews", because he's so impartial and indiscrimanant... he will literaly try to kill anyone and the guy next to him...
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

If it helps, what I do is just bind /petattack to my opening move and just hit it that way and keep pet on passive. Even though it irks me that in a group of mobs my pet will run back to me even though I have engaged with all of them with a multi shot for example.
pemburu

Unread post by pemburu »

Kurasu wrote:I know that they still do it on live. Grinding with my Tallstrider (who has the same issue with dust cloud) I was having it run off randomly. So on live, it's definitely still around.

I haven't tried on the PTR yet. Shouldn't be too hard to test out.

EDIT: Just tested it out. Sure enough, tailspin on the PTR still aggroes critters, and the critters are still then chased by the fox. So keep that in mind. Being on 'passive' *does* keep it from chasing an aggroed critter, though. And you should probably be on passive in dungeons anyway. ;)
thanks for the info Kurasu. I already know about keeping pet on passive workaround. but i prefer to keep my pets generally on defensive and since this is a PAID game i've expected blizzard to look into the matter and fix it.