Miraga
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Problems with misdirection?

Unread post by Miraga »

So I use this macro for misdirect:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod] Misdirection; [target=focus,exists,nodead] Misdirection; [target=pet,exists,nodead] Misdirection; Misdirection

and it's worked fine til this patch. Now it misdirects ME. I even tried using it without the macro and it STILL doesn't work. Is anyone else having this problem? Maybe I'm doing something wrong...
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Re: Problems with misdirection?

Unread post by Xella »

[mod] isn't really a valid command without some sort of specifics (example: [modifier:Shift]), so it's probably started ignoring that you even have a conditional as your first bit, and is casting misdirection on...

...wait. How can you misdirect yourself, aren't you an invalid target? *checks* Yeah, you are. What you're probably seeing is the MD buff is on you to indicate that you've got MD up. Your target no longer gets a buff, and the graphic goes off on your head and not theirs (at least, Sporey isn't getting any sort of indicator).

That being said, you'll probably want to take that first MD out of your macro, just in case it does break it (I had no problems when I copied your macro over, my MD worked fine). So it'd look like this instead:

#showtooltip
/cast [target=focus,exists,nodead] Misdirection; [target=pet,exists,nodead] Misdirection; Misdirection

That'll do the following in order:
1) Cast MD on your focus if you have one and it isn't dead
2) Cast MD on your pet if you have one and THAT isn't dead
3) queue up MD on your cursor (or cast it on the friendly target you have targetted) if neither of those are applicable

which I think is what you wanted. (EDIT: Acutally it looks like [mod] all on its own will put your MD on your cursor/your current friendly target if you have ANY of the modifiers held down (shift, control, or alt). So I suppose you could keep that part in if that's what you want it to do as a priority, too... which I can think of a couple situations where that'd be handy to have, so that may be.)
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Rethen
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rethen »

Actually, I've been having problems with misdirect too, at least casting it on my pet. It seems to work fine on tanks I have focused in dungeons, but when I was doing the new Stranglethorn chain if I cast MD on my pet, with or without the macro, and then pulled a mob, the only threat on the mob was mine, the mob wold run right ot me, and I'd have to FD for my pet to pick it up. Even if I sent my pet in first to get initial aggro and THEN MD'd, none of the threat seemed to transfer and I would soon out-aggro my pet. :|c
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Xella wrote:[mod] isn't really a valid command without some sort of specifics (example: [modifier:Shift])
I've never used [mod] in my macros, but I have been able to use a non-specific [modifier] before, have they changed that?

*goes off to play with macros*
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Misdirection is not working properly when cast on a hunter's pet.
From 4.1 Known Issues & Bug Reports (EU thread). I'm not sure if it's related to the issue you're having or if that's down to your macro but it might be the problem!
Miraga
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Miraga »

Rethen wrote:Actually, I've been having problems with misdirect too, at least casting it on my pet. It seems to work fine on tanks I have focused in dungeons, but when I was doing the new Stranglethorn chain if I cast MD on my pet, with or without the macro, and then pulled a mob, the only threat on the mob was mine, the mob wold run right ot me, and I'd have to FD for my pet to pick it up. Even if I sent my pet in first to get initial aggro and THEN MD'd, none of the threat seemed to transfer and I would soon out-aggro my pet. :|c
This!! This is exactly what was happening to me! It was in the STV area for the ZG questline so maybe it had something to do with that phased area??

It's working fine, as far as I can tell, when not in that area and when I do dungeons...
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

I haven't had any problems with Misdirection. Here is my macro:

Code: Select all

#showtooltip
/cast [help] [@focus,help,nodead] [@pet,exists] Misdirection
Friendly target first (if you are targeting someone in your party/raid), then focus, then pet. This is basically a shortened version of your macro Miraga, using help instead of mod (not quite so sure why you need the modifier in the macro anyways with what you are trying to do) and you don't need exists with @focus as macro will skip over focus already if you don't have one.

[mod] is a valid command btw. It basically isn't specific to one modifier key and will work with shift, alt, and ctrl for macros.

They also shortened [modifier] to [mod] awhile ago. Same with target= can now be shortened simply to @.[/color]

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Miraga
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Miraga »

Wassa wrote:I haven't had any problems with Misdirection. Here is my macro:

Code: Select all

#showtooltip
/cast [help] [@focus,help,nodead] [@pet,exists] Misdirection
Friendly target first (if you are targeting someone in your party/raid), then focus, then pet. This is basically a shortened version of your macro Miraga, using help instead of mod (not quite so sure why you need the modifier in the macro anyways with what you are trying to do) and you don't need exists with @focus as macro will skip over focus already if you don't have one.

[mod] is a valid command btw. It basically isn't specific to one modifier key and will work with shift, alt, and ctrl for macros.

They also shortened [modifier] to [mod] awhile ago. Same with target= can now be shortened simply to @.[/color]
Thanks! I actually didn't make the macro. I have no idea how to do it so the BF had to make it for me. :oops: It's actually really old... From Wrath, I think... I think he put it in there so I could use it to shift-click targets, which I do sometimes.