more fire turtles in 4.2

Read-only since Patch 4.2 is now live.
Ambs
Realm: Proudmoore

Re: more fire turtles in 4.2

Unread post by Ambs »

As someone who typically doesn't have all the time in the world to spend farming for pets, I would be perfectly happy with a common skin of a rare becoming available. Those that want the rare can still go out and try to find it, but others who like the skin but don't have the time could still get one for themselves also. I'm also looking for Terrorpene, and would be quite ok with a common version, as I like him for how he looks (He looks amazing!), but I don't have a lot of time, and my patience starts to wear thin after hours of camping/searching.

Heck, even if Blizzard decided to make a forest/jungle somewhere with a bunch of common Loques in there, I'd grab one of those over the real one, and I'd still personally be happy with it! Now I know that would most likely never happen, as it probably wouldn't make much sense gameplay wise to wander into an area full of Loques, but hey, I can always hope, right?!

From trying to find Loque, looking for a rare can definitely become an obsession of sorts, and yes, if you find it and can tame it, it's one of the greatest feelings in the world! At the same time, though, when you search and search, and never find it, or search and find you just missed it, it can be very heartbreaking and frustrating beyond belief. I'd personally prefer to avoid the frustration part, and pick up a common version if it was available, and it would still be special to me since it's a pet skin I want!
Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Ambs wrote:I'd personally prefer to avoid the frustration part, and pick up a common version if it was available, and it would still be special to me since it's a pet skin I want!
^

@the thread: It would mean that people who want the skin just because they like it and not cause its rare can pick one up but if you really want to make it feel like you've worked for it and you want to be the odd one out you can camp Terrorpene himself. I tame some rares even if they have common counterparts cause they seem just that more cooler but at the same time i wont hesitate to pick the common mob using that skin and perhaps use it as a refrence, see if i actually fit nicely with the model/skin so i dont end up abandoning the rare version after camping for ages to get :3

If this same argument ive posted has been made in earlier pages just scootch this one to the side :lol: i dont really feel like sifting through pages of argument over a turtle quite yet, i woke up just a lil' while ago

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Shirubia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Quel'thalas

Unread post by Shirubia »

Bring all the terrorpene clones they want, my little Rammstein is not going anywhere even if he becomes as common as the brown bear skin.
Lazurianis
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer: Alliance

Unread post by Lazurianis »

I was on the PTR earlier and I checked they have a diet but are not tameable on the other hand they hit extremely hard (74k a Hit) therefor making it impossible to tame them even with Pally Bubbles and Such. So Terrorpene still lives :)

“Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.”
― R. Adm. Jay Stark
Sookie
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Arthas

Unread post by Sookie »

Not everyone plays this game the same way or for the same reasons.

Some people treat their stables as simply a container for rare trophies, and live to hunt & tame rare new things. Each pet is like a sign of an accomplishment; a success story; a reminder of the exciting hunt & tame.

Other people carefully select only the pets they are attracted to for whatever reason (looks, lore, significance) and couldn't care less about the rare hunting significance.

Some people are probably a mixture of both. Neither are wrong though; we're all here to 'play' a 'game' remember? If you spent hours or days camping Terrorpene because you wanted to experience this exciting hunt for a unique beast, I can see how it would be disappointing with this change. Personally I don't view my pets that way but if I did, I would look at that 'fire turtle skin' and it wouldn't really represent the effort & memories it did before completely. I would feel maybe half as attached to it, and the other half of me would just say 'oh poo it's just a fire turtle i could have picked up from anywhere, who cares'

But before my poor tank gets his feelings hurt, don't worry turtle, you are a special snowflake to me no matter what :D
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

oh? I havent seen them on the ptr but then again I havent kinda really looked actually, kinda am wanting more surprises come 4.2. But if they are hard to tame then its virtually the same thing as terrorpene.

I am not sure if ill be keeping my terrorpene, not that its a "oh no my unique turtle is no longer unique!! screw you all!" but more of I dont really use him. My go to tank has always been blue madexx and the only reason I kept my terrorpene is because he was the server first tame would kinda made me really happy. I like him.. I just dont use him.. so I kinda feel bad.

I still kinda dont like blizzards mindset of screwing with unique rares.. brown madexx got no love, and now it may be black madexx to.. they need to recolor somethings instead of just slapping them anywhere and everywhere. Id personally would tame a common blue fire turtle hands down!

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Tilo
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, Cenarius, & Ysera-US

Unread post by Tilo »

I dunno it's nice they're adding some common skin pets to folks who don't have time to camp the rares, it doesn't make the rare any different; but if course there's more of a special aspect to taming the rare rather than its common counterpart.

On a side note it'd be neat to see different colors, of the turtle like, a fiery blue or somethin.
♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪
Signature Kamoodle []
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Blue fire turtle *drools*

For me, I dont mind there being a common skin to a rare, it enables all player styles to get the skins they like.

I wont be getting rid of my fire turtle just because its suddenly a "common" skin. Barrets special to me because of how hard he was to tame at lv 81 in wrath gear, with very little haste. took me 11 tries to get him (and even then I didnt realise i HAD managed to tame him before I died...and didnt find out I tamed him until the late hours of the day)

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Himeko
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Himeko »

Most people on my server don't have him [Horde side] and when I have him out people are like: "OMG! Where'd you find your pet?! He's so wicked looking!" I tell them he's a rare spawn and that I had been camping for him since Cata came out, finally got him when I got kicked out of a heroic [I said brb bio and they kicked me.] When I was out I flew around for not even half an hour when my rare spawn addons went off like mad. Found him and tamed him. There were several other hunters out there during the time I was taming him. Lucky for me they let me finish my tame. Not many people, specially the Alliance on my server are that nice. The Horde players are, but not the Alliance. =/ But I got lucky and was thankful that the Alliance hunters allowed me to have my turtle. <3

Edit: Even if Terrorpene has others that look like him, I can still happily say I got mine before patch 4.2. ^^ I'll still love him and care for him. On a side note: I was doing my dailies in TH yesterday and came across Karoma, now mind you both my specs were Surv. I had to get rid of my PvP/Arena spec just to get him, but non the less I'm happy. I asked my guild if any of them wanted him and no one answered me, so I took Karoma for myself. There was some level 84 hunters there, Hordies, but I still asked if anyone else wanted him before I tamed him, they told me to go for it and tame him. So I did. I like how the Horde on my server are very kind to one another, I know it varies from server to server and faction, but I'm happy with mine. Alliance is the same way over on Mannoroth, but the Horde players over there... They are like the Alliance players on Zul'Jin. ;>>

Himeko

Some say Legion will be the downfall of WoW, I disagree. WoD was the downfall and Legion will be there to raise WoW from the dead.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Not all rares need to be unique, but they DON'T all need to be shared with common mobs either. Allow a mix of both so that both types of hunters can coexist, aye?

*selfishly admits a selfish desire for a few pets she can only get with effort and luck*
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Ziarre wrote:Not all rares need to be unique, but they DON'T all need to be shared with common mobs either. Allow a mix of both so that both types of hunters can coexist, aye?

*selfishly admits a selfish desire for a few pets she can only get with effort and luck*
Me, too, Ziarre. I don't mind if some rare skins are slapped onto common beasts, but not ALL of them. Leave some "trophy" pets out there for the folks that are into that kind of thing.

And while I understand the sentiment, "I have 9 kids and 3 jobs and I can only play WoW for 5 minutes a day and I don't have time to camp for a rare but I like it so I should be able to get it," while I feel bad for you and your situation, I'm sorry, I don't think that means that every single skin in the game should be common. I understand the people that can't dedicate the time it takes to get rares sometimes, but that doesn't mean that Blizz should cater to that group and suddenly make every skin accessible to everyone. Give the people who do have the extra time something that they can enjoy, too.

Not trying to offend, but I'm seeing that mindset lately. "I don't have time to play, so I should be able to have whatever I want with little to no effort/time spent at all!" It can't always work that way, and if Blizzard did ever do it that way, I think they'd lose a lot of people. :| Both sides have to be willing to accept that a) they can't have every rare be unique, and b) you can't always have what you want just because you want it.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Rhyela wrote:
Ziarre wrote:Not all rares need to be unique, but they DON'T all need to be shared with common mobs either. Allow a mix of both so that both types of hunters can coexist, aye?

Me, too, Ziarre. I don't mind if some rare skins are slapped onto common beasts, but not ALL of them. Leave some "trophy" pets out there for the folks that are into that kind of thing.

And while I understand the sentiment, "I have 9 kids and 3 jobs and I can only play WoW for 5 minutes a day and I don't have time to camp for a rare but I like it so I should be able to get it," while I feel bad for you and your situation, I'm sorry, I don't think that means that every single skin in the game should be common. I understand the people that can't dedicate the time it takes to get rares sometimes, but that doesn't mean that Blizz should cater to that group and suddenly make every skin accessible to everyone. Give the people who do have the extra time something that they can enjoy, too.

Not trying to offend, but I'm seeing that mindset lately. "I don't have time to play, so I should be able to have whatever I want with little to no effort/time spent at all!" It can't always work that way, and if Blizzard did ever do it that way, I think they'd lose a lot of people. :| Both sides have to be willing to accept that a) they can't have every rare be unique, and b) you can't always have what you want just because you want it.
Either that or it's "who cares it's just pixels!"... like any of us would be playing this game if it were a text rpg. :P
Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

Im kinda torn in opinion....being a rare collector, I had to have Terrorpene. Even though I really, really dislikes turtles. But I still spent the time to collect him as well...Bah. =P
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by evil950510 »

If you make a rare skin common then what’s the purpose of Blizzard creating a rare? A good example is Rak'Shiri and Shy-Rotam. They both share the same skin now so why sit and camp for Rak'Shiri when I can walk a few feet over a tame Shy-Rotam? Part of camping for rares has always been for me is that moment when NPC scan goes off and see that one pet you have been waiting for, some times weeks. I do not care if I walk into Storm Wind and see hunters with Sambas, all it reminds me is how lucky I was to tame him myself. Yes its also boost my ego when I have people ask me where I got my Terropene, and I enjoy telling my story how he killed me the first try; however I do not want Blizzard to take a way from me all the long hours and hard work I went through for some of my rares by making them just another common mob. I keep hearing people suggesting making the common fire turtle a different color. I would be excited to see that happen. It would give more verity to the fire turtles, but also keep Terrorpene his original uniqueness. Why not just make Loque'nahak a common mob, so everyone could have a spirit beast with out having to camp.
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

evil950510 wrote:Why not just make Loque'nahak a common mob, so everyone could have a spirit beast with out having to camp.
I suspect if they did that, a lot of the "it's just pixels" crowd would see it in a different light...
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I dunno. I've laboriously collected every SB in the game (sometimes more than once) and I'd still like to see one SB that was common. In my mind, it's the flat out most useful exotic species anyway and yet it's the only one that doesn't have a common variant.

Also... I played text RPGs exclusively for something like 12 years before starting WoW, whaddya talkin' about. >.>

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

evil950510 wrote:If you make a rare skin common then what’s the purpose of Blizzard creating a rare? A good example is Rak'Shiri and Shy-Rotam. They both share the same skin now so why sit and camp for Rak'Shiri when I can walk a few feet over a tame Shy-Rotam?
Experience and loot. Not every player in this game is a hunter, so if Rak'shiri isn't special to you then that's still enough of a reason for him to exist.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Nachtwulf wrote:I dunno. I've laboriously collected every SB in the game (sometimes more than once) and I'd still like to see one SB that was common. In my mind, it's the flat out most useful exotic species anyway and yet it's the only one that doesn't have a common variant.
Sure it's useful, but I disagree that it (the SB family I mean) should have a common variant; it's the exotic of exotics, and meant to be rare.
Nachtwulf wrote:Also... I played text RPGs exclusively for something like 12 years before starting WoW, whaddya talkin' about. >.>
... and I'm assuming you'd still play wow if it was a text rpg? If so then you sir have earned the right to dismiss the importance of graphics in an MMORPG! :headbang:
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

I am not saying its a bad thing, I mean yeah its nice for those who dont have alot of time to camp for a rare, though the same can be true about being said about the thrill of finding the rare you want but just flying past. I tend to bond more with rare pets that I have camped so long and hard for not because "oh shiny rare is so shiny!" but because I worked long and hard for something thats unique in its own way. So it comes down to a mixed feeling of "yay those with lives/spouses/kids/work" can get a skin they love, but "boo for making me camp so long and hard for something I can just as easily get in a matter on minutes"

I just would love to see more things done with pets instead of just grabbing a cool skin and making it everywhere. I would love to see pets have more involvement with getting them not just sitting and staring at one area for weeks and weeks... and I say this while sitting in storm peaks for months waiting for a drake :lol:

Id love to see different colors.. that would be nice

ps. mychelle your siggy is sooo cute!!

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

If loque had a common model, I'd snatch him up in a heartbeat... or at least the model. I've been camping him since I hit 76 in Sholozar sometime towards the beginning of Wrath, and, let's count... 13 times I've seen his corpse, 4 other times I've came across him being tamed, and 5 times he was killed in front of me (none were purposely, however). It is by far my favorite pet skin in the game, and I can't seem to get the bastard. Sometimes making a 72 hour spawn timed rare isn't the best way to make a 'challenging' tame... Give us something like the original "The Beast", or the Difficulty that KK used to have, I want hard tames for unique skins, not long, gear-grinding camps.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael