The New 10 Rares (edited: for live)

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Re: The New 10 Rares (edited: for live)

Unread post by Ziarre »

I can vouch for that spawn point, I had Ankha literally spawn underneath me last night. Much confusion was had, as my active pet before going into Hyjal was my new Ankha Kaisa, and I was going '...I don't have my pet ou--OH SNAP.'
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Caanin
Realm: Icecrown

Unread post by Caanin »

I got Kirix yesterday and I can attest that the lone floating rock technique did not seem to work for me. The tame would start out ok but he would suddenly evade and then retarget me and kill me!!! I was dropping traps, both frost and explosive in his path to aggro him so maybe those were the problem?

In the end, I tamed him on the ledge he paths on using the disengage technique. I used Aspect of the Wild, Ancient Hysteria, dismiss core hound, and then pull with tame. When he charged, I hit disengage while in the air, then used my tame macro (/use Potion of Speed, /cast Deterrence, /cast Tame Beast). This worked perfectly once I realized that I mispelled /use in the macro (lol)!!!

In the end, myself and several other hunters died at least a dozen times combined before working out the strategy and I felt victorious when I completed the tame. I like this spider, I like his unique color and I think I'll keep him and hope to tame Deth and Skarr and one of the cat/spirit beasts, plus I already tamed Banth!!!

A quick question on Deth, when you use concussion and trap you use the frost trap right, to slow him? Then send in Spider pet to root with web, then revive pet? Can you toss in a serpent sting after the concussion shot to keep his health ticking down?
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

HAHA! Solix is now mine! This time the tame went on with out a single problem, and he is now mine. The only thing is, I feel slightly guilty, because a Goblin hunter was there to attempt the rock tame, and I may have 'stolen' the tame from her, although in my Defense, Solix was neither tagged, nor Hunter marked, and I didn't see the goblin until after the tame. Now I need a name.

Edit: Found Magria too, no hunter wanted her, so I tamed her to reset the Timer. Ankha, please spawn next. :D

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Xedriell

Unread post by Xedriell »

Guys here is my story as of tonight:

I came back home from taking some drinks, checked Deth'Tilac spawn, ofc she wasn't there. Then I switched to desk and back after 10 minutes and there she was!!!!! I was shocked, thinking ok now you have to get this done before some other hunter catches up. So yea I was a bit drunk! I pulled her, sent my pet in, it died, trap was up, everything was fine. Then a mage from my guild showed up on purpose. He did some damage on her, and as she walks really slow if you do it right, I had time to explain the whole thing to him in guildchat. And then I did somethin totally stupid: I just disengaged down the cliff right to death. I was shocked, really! BUT the mage kited her along while I rushed to my corpse. He just had to get rid of her aggro and then I could tame her! I thought she would be tameable at 20%, but nonono she was not, thats why I did the stupid ragedisengange down the cliff.
And well 1 minute later a horde hunter plus 2 DKS showed up and they were not that amused that the little spider was mine! :D
Wow what a night! I don't need to say that I am extremely excited still!

Good night fellow hunters!
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I think I am starting something on my Server. See, every time I tame a rare (or see it killed), I announce in general that <insert rare> tamed (or killed) at <insert server time>

Well, suddenly I am seeing other hunters starting to announce the status of rares in general now, so far though there doesnt seem to be anyone giving false info...except that one hunter who nerdraged. Its actually pretty neat. Also meeting quite a few hunters this time around as we all give eachother updates on which rares we saw or did tame and when, and its been quite helpful in figuring out when to start a camp or when its safe to sleep!!

Also, YAY! Tamed Deth'Tilac today!!! Finally have all the cata rares I wanted, and now all thats left is a blue madexx and I'll have all the pets I want (till the next ones come along!).

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Fafnir
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Fafnir »

Caanin wrote:A quick question on Deth, when you use concussion and trap you use the frost trap right, to slow him? Then send in Spider pet to root with web, then revive pet? Can you toss in a serpent sting after the concussion shot to keep his health ticking down?
You use Serpent Sting to keep her from stacking the buff (especially while you're reviving); I'm not absolutely certain, but I don't think she's slowable or dazeable otherwise. If you are specced into Entrapment (I hope you are), you alternate Ice/Snake Traps to root her, and your trash pet's web whenever it's up.
Fafnir
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Fafnir »

Also, re: Kirix

You do not need to jump onto rocks to cheapo tame him. In fact, if you remember the exit-only thermal vent next to the rock everyone ends up taming him from, you can stand on the ledge of the island in front of that vent and tame Kirix once he's done his u-turn away from the druid post. MOST IMPORTANTLY - this means you can safely keep the Winds buff for a 5-6 sec tame (the hasted time isn't reflected on the cast bar)

That being said, I still think the prismatic elixir/bl/disengage face-tank method is more awesome, but whatever.

Also, re: Ban'thalos

Does the drop + disengage method work for anyone? I tried it the other day and got fried by moonfire long before he was in range of my freezing trap. It's as if he starts moonfiring from 30yds (after a few seconds of grace), instead of like 10ish for the PTR. If so I may have to admit that the tree method is the only legit solo way to do it, though it feels slightly cheesy.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Found Magria today on Frostwolf, unequipped everything, abandoned a pet, switched from MM to BM, just to start the tame before some idiot Spriest and feral druid landed and killed. Another hunter was there yelling at them to stop, and one of them simply said "QQ more" and then they flew off. I know she'll spawn again but when people do stuff like this it just makes my stomach turn. When people camp a spot for days to find it... and they've already started to tame it; it's just pathetic. Especially when they kill the animal for no reason at all except to piss people off, sense they drop nothing good.
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

whoops edited the name *face palm*

Re: Deth: the CS/ice trap is just to keep her slowed. Any snake trap is just to get her mind off you, she will NOT lose any health from the snakes, but also be careful that she does not lose too much attention when your trying to tame her. Thats really not fun. At 20% she should have been tameable. But I am glad you got her in the end!

Re Kirix: the rock tame does have this tendency to evade which is why I do promote the disengage way as the better method. Whats worse is that most times theres no reasoning for it from what Ive seen.

Re cats spawn: I got this picture right here on where she spawned for me every single time. She moved maybe a few steps.

Some say another spawn.. I just have never seen it. Just park at that area and you'll see it when it spawns.

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Alwayz
Realm: Suramar

Unread post by Alwayz »

Finally got Skitterflame last night. Took about 3-5 minutes of solid kiting before i got him down.

Trakz
Realm: MadMortem

Unread post by Trakz »

I've got the last of the 10 newbies today .. skitterflame .....took about 1 min to bring him under 20% energy (3 freezeing traps as MM will do the job easily but u have to nuke him out of the 3rd or he'll die)
Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Astratia »

Still camping Magria
Apparently there is a pattern from what some hunters have seen. Ankha, Ankha, Magria. Not sure how true this stands but the last two spawns that I have seen were Ankha and Ankha.... -crosses fingers for Magria-

Art Credit to Lupin Dark Wolf

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Astratia wrote:Still camping Magria
Apparently there is a pattern from what some hunters have seen. Ankha, Ankha, Magria. Not sure how true this stands but the last two spawns that I have seen were Ankha and Ankha.... -crosses fingers for Magria-
There's no pattern; only what people want to see in the random coin flip. Your server's results may vary.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Makoes wrote:I think I am starting something on my Server. See, every time I tame a rare (or see it killed), I announce in general that <insert rare> tamed (or killed) at <insert server time>

Well, suddenly I am seeing other hunters starting to announce the status of rares in general now, so far though there doesnt seem to be anyone giving false info...except that one hunter who nerdraged. Its actually pretty neat. Also meeting quite a few hunters this time around as we all give eachother updates on which rares we saw or did tame and when, and its been quite helpful in figuring out when to start a camp or when its safe to sleep!!

Also, YAY! Tamed Deth'Tilac today!!! Finally have all the cata rares I wanted, and now all thats left is a blue madexx and I'll have all the pets I want (till the next ones come along!).
Thats a good idea about announcing. Maybe even make a /join hunter channel or something basic to be able to share rare pet sightings/tamings/killings
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Splaticus
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf-US

Unread post by Splaticus »

I wish I knew of a way to clear just specific animals from the cache instead of having to delete the whole thing. I keep getting so mad every time I hear npcscan go off while I'm tabbed out and its for pets I already have or no interest in, scaring me to death and tabbing back in frantically.

BTW it just happened again while I was in the middle of typing this post. I woke up about 6 hours before necessary so I'm just waiting for Ankha and I've already had a Skarr and Karkin false alarm. So mad >:I

Actually I suppose I could remove them from npcscan?
Thanks to Kurenio for the texted ruin of lordaeron sig!
My hunter's stables:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... t#15849171
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... t#15979749
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

NPC Scan has been updated to reflect the new rares.

I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

I'm actually unsure whether or not that's a good thing or a bad thing currently. 1] NPCscan will now go off for all the new rares for people who didn't put in the codes manually aka non-hunters. 2] I got this really bad feeling that hunter harassment is about to get worse because of it. >.<

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Curzon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Silver Hand

Unread post by Curzon »

Thwip wrote:I'm actually unsure whether or not that's a good thing or a bad thing currently. 1] NPCscan will now go off for all the new rares for people who didn't put in the codes manually aka non-hunters. 2] I got this really bad feeling that hunter harassment is about to get worse because of it. >.<
It's only for hunters.
Check it on your other character, it won't be added for them.
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

Curzon wrote:
Thwip wrote:I'm actually unsure whether or not that's a good thing or a bad thing currently. 1] NPCscan will now go off for all the new rares for people who didn't put in the codes manually aka non-hunters. 2] I got this really bad feeling that hunter harassment is about to get worse because of it. >.<
It's only for hunters.
Check it on your other character, it won't be added for them.
Looks like they aren't in the list. \o/ But their spawn spots are still on the map when I look on another toon. xD

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Can I make a simple suggestion? I just got Ban'thalos (quite a trip, let me tell ya), and I noticed a few things that I thought might be good information to add to his section.

-His moonfire roasted me even with deterrence up. I hit deterrence when Ban had 1 second left on his cast, I was dead before deterrence ended. I have the combat log to. I was under the impression that moonfire could be deterrenced through (I think some wowhead comments said that). Had I lost a tame due to this misinformation, I would have raged. I know we cant control all the misinformation, but I figure it may be good to be proactive with correct information and warn others?

-His cast can be interrupted with Scattershot at least.

-I first tried to tag him and then float to the bottom to tame, but he reset. I had watched a video of a hunter doing just this (tagging then parachuting) and Ban not reset. Due to this, I was under the impression Ban had a special aggro range, but he can reset. I think I may have fell to far before hitting parachute, though.

Just a thought :)

EDIT: Something I noticed about Skarr/Karkin...

I don't know if this is a bug or if anyone else noticed this, but on my realm, I have watched several hunters fail attempts because of this very thing. Skarr/Karkin's buff stacks wouldn't drop. I dont know if he was in a combat bug (no one targetted), but he had several stacks, 6-7, and hunters would keep trying him, and keep refreshing his stacks higher and higher. I have seen it on both mobs. Anyone else?

If this is common, it may be worth putting on the OP to, as a warning to let his stacks fall before attempting. Its hard to tame him when he already has a lot of stacks.