Best Pet PvE DPS.....

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Darthchun
Realm: Altar of Storms

Best Pet PvE DPS.....

Unread post by Darthchun »

As of Jan 2010, what is the best pet dps for a raid situation? Wolves still? Because I've heard devilsaurs are better, and that raptors are close. Is there a ranking as to in what order the do damage?....
Orni
Realm: EU Krag'Jin

Re: Best Pet PvE DPS.....

Unread post by Orni »

Post me your stats, I'll calculate it for you.

I need your attack-power and your dps (the one seen in your character window, not recount) with raidbuffs on, as well as the values for your pet's dps (same here) and it's +spellpower and attack power.
Darthchun
Realm: Altar of Storms

Unread post by Darthchun »

Ok gimme a few days, I'll get back too ya

I just got a different wolf, still quite 80 and at full power
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Wolf is the general best DPS pet. Safest bet in most cases.

If you're BM, and your groups/raids don't mind the devilsaur, you could use that and call it a day too.

If the raptor is your thing, go for it.

All in all, the difference is so small, it probably isn't that big an issue.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

From what I understand, Wolves are the way to go if you want the best dps possible. I believe Devilsaurs are pretty high up there if you're BM, though. They may not be the top, but they're still good. *hugs her T-rex*
Orni

Unread post by Orni »

This is off topic but ... Vephriel, could you (and some others) pleas stop using signatures of this size ? This beast is 2,3MB huge !

I don't think anybody want's this much traffic to look at your signature. Do you even know how much traffic every MB causes to the forum ? Ok, this one is quite small at the moment but at a regular forum with several hundred active members (and really many guests) you'll want to limit traffic as much as you can.

Beeing an sever admin and webdesigner by myself for a long time this things really bother me ... And I don't even speak of people who got a slow connection or got a traffic-calculated internet cost, like for example mobile phones.

Also ... to the hoster of this forum: Please forbid such things! Avatar sizes of 50kb and signature sizes of up to 100kb are acceptable but 2MB ... jesus ... I really hope your paying your server not alone by yourself.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

@Orni:

I sincerely apologize that my signature is causing problems. The thread that someone posted here about creating animated signatures seemed like a fun idea so I wanted to try it out for myself.

I'll change it to a stationary image though if it's that much trouble.
Orni

Unread post by Orni »

Vephriel wrote:@Orni:

I sincerely apologize that my signature is causing problems. The thread that someone posted here about creating animated signatures seemed like a fun idea so I wanted to try it out for myself.

I'll change it to a stationary image though if it's that much trouble.
No problem for me, I'm having a high broadband flatrate but not anyone does.
Yeah, it's fun to make animated stuff like gifs but one should look at its size. Nobody will stab you for having a 300kb signature if it looks neat, but 2.300kb are way to much for some connections.

And as I said, the forum hoster will have to pay for every byte of traffic we're causing.

However, to get back to topic:

I just ran some tests and did some math and it turned out that devilsaurs and spirit beasts do almost exact the same dmg while wolfes are waaay behind it, 12% dps less to be precise. Well, they also boost the hunters own attack power so I calculated this and ... magical ... they are on par with devilsaurs and spirit beasts this way (something about -2% till +4% better or worse depending on your gear) So ... what should I say: I doesn't matter which one you take, just regard this:

-Spirit Beasts: Exellent dps at all conditions, hard to get
-Devilsaurs: quite the same dmg, but they need to keep the buff stacked and are quite huge
-Wolfes: slightly worse than the others but with good gear (better than itemlvl 220) they are on par
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Orni wrote: -Spirit Beasts: Exellent dps at all conditions, hard to get
-Devilsaurs: quite the same dmg, but they need to keep the buff stacked and are quite huge
-Wolfes: slightly worse than the others but with good gear (better than itemlvl 220) they are on par
Hmm, interesting. I didn't think Spirit Beasts would be that close, to be honest. How much testing did you do? Can I get some details on that perhaps?

Spiritchan

Unread post by Spiritchan »

This is actually fairly simple.

Step 1: Look at the Ferocity category (they do the most damage).

Step 2: Find a pet that boosts it's own damage, via family abilities. These pet families are:
Devilsaur (+9% damage; beastmaster only)
Raptor (+10% damage + bleed)
Wasp (enemy looses 5% armor, thus increasing damage of both pet and hunter; a good option for non-beastmasters)
Wolves (+320 attack power of both hunter and pet; by far the best pet for non-beastmasters)
Moths (+10% attack power)

Step 3: Place your pet's talent-points appropriately.
Cobra Reflexes (2 points) - increases your pet's attack speed, thus boosing it's damage (test it, it works)
Dash or Dive (1 point) - gets your pet to the mob faster, so it can start damage faster
Spiked Collar (3 points) - +9% damage
Culling the Herd (3 points) - +3% damage for pet and hunter, if your pet critically hits
Spider's Bite (3 points) - +9% critical strike rate, important especially for culling the herd
Call of the Wild (1 point) - +10% attack power for both pet and hunter
Rabid (1 point) - Up to +25% attack power
Charge (1 point) - Same as Dash, Dive.. but allows +25% attack power for that attack (and does not share a cooldown with dash/dive)

.. If you're a beastmaster, you have a few more points to spend; I'd like to suggest:
Wild Hunt (2 points) - +30% of hunter's attack power added to pet
Shark Attacks (2 points) - +6% damage

All around, for raw dps pets, you'll want to avoid:
Great Stamina
Natural Armor
Improved Cower
Bloodthirsty
Heart of the Phoenix
Lick your Wounds
Great Resistance

The following abilities can be useful, even for raw dps pets:
Boar's Speed (get there faster to do damage)
Lionhearted (reduce stun time, letting your pet get back into battle faster)

Special Note:

If you're NOT a beastmaster, you may want to seriously consider getting a Cunning pet!
As a cunning pet can restore 30% of your mana every 3 minutes! As you know (you marksmen out there), a marksman with no mana does little damage.. and when you use aspect of viper your dps drops like a stone. This pet's ability can make or break your dps.
Of the cunning pets, I suggest Sporebats as they reduce your foes armor by 3%.
For "dps" cunning pets, please put points in the following:
Cobra Reflexes, Dive, Mobility, Spiked Collar, Culling the Herd, Feeding Frenzy, Roar of Recovery, Wolverine Bite, Wild Hunt (1 point)
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Spiritchan wrote:If you're NOT a beastmaster, you may want to seriously consider getting a Cunning pet!
I'll have to see if there's any math out there on this. Or maybe just try it out myself and see.

Spiritchan

Unread post by Spiritchan »

Certainly try it out for yourself.
As a marksman, your pet usually does a very small % of your damage - and getting a cunning pet for that extra mana boost alone has certainly been a big help to my marksmen.

On a marksman, with a dps pet, you get maybe an extra 100 dps out of it. With that 30% mana regain, that's a LOT of extra shots you can pull off in one fight; where each shot for me does about 6k. It's really sacrificing your pet's damage so you can do more damage yourself just because of mana. And I do a lot more damage than my pet (even a dps pet) on my marksman.
Storytime
Realm: Aggramar

Unread post by Storytime »

So I think it's safe to assume none of you have ever heard of Shanandara's DPS spreadsheet or been to femaledwarf.com, which is a site based upon excel calculations that will add up your gear, gems, talents, pet, etc into a general outcome for your DPS based on various selected buffs- that being said, if you're a Beast Mastery Hunter, nothing comes close to the Devilsaur's 9% stacking buff and if you're Survival or Marksmanship, nothing is going to boost your DPS anywhere near what a Wolf will. Any serious raider already knows this, just thought I'd pass it along.
Storytime

Ps-

If that came off strong or rude, it wasn't my intention. I only mean to help-
zidev
Realm: Uldaman

Unread post by zidev »

Orni wrote:-Spirit Beasts: Exellent dps at all conditions, hard to get
I would like to know what math you did. Also I would like to know if there is abilities that amplifies the wolves AP sepcail bonus to the hunter and itself and if that is what sets it ahead suposidly.

I just found a killer BM spec that actually does more DPS then my Survival and MM specs have and I am a hard core raider. Now I am just looking for the best actual pet to take with me. So any stats and facts on these three families would be most helpfull.
zidev

Unread post by zidev »

Storytime wrote:So I think it's safe to assume none of you have ever heard of Shanandara's DPS spreadsheet or been to femaledwarf.com.

Just so you know... those spreadsheets and site are highly inaccurate.

I have used them several times. By following them to the T I have found that they are great in theory but not in actual practice. The only way to know for sure is to actually do things yourself.

My new BM spec has outdone my old survival and MM spec by alot. I never thought it possible with BM. But those who dont debate never learn. I invite you to prove me wrong but in a fun learning manor. Not trying myself to come off as rude bt more so as a friendly learning challange for all of us involved including myself.

David

AKA Avatarious (Uldaman)
Storytime

I accept that challenge, sir- as I have posted in your previous thread if you could just list talents, buffs, armory link, etc. I'd be more than happy to debate this one.

More importantly, the downright proof if you don't mind- a screenshot showing your dps that high, via recount or some sort of dmg meter. I think that's fair, is it not?
zidev

Unread post by zidev »

i have already replied with my armory link and posted shot rotation and macros. I will post a screen shot from my next 25 man raid.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Storytime wrote:Ps-

If that came off strong or rude, it wasn't my intention. I only mean to help-
It came off as both, but you still made a good point so I forgive you. ;)

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Spiritchan wrote: Charge (1 point) - Same as Dash, Dive.. but allows +25% attack power for that attack (and does not share a cooldown with dash/dive)
http://www.wowhead.com/?petcalc#zmd00sc00hok

That's my pet talent tree.

I prefer chance on hit to heal pet and cause it's happiness to go up a bit better than 25% attack power boost for 1 attack, considering non BM pets dont have nearly enough AP for it to be a big change. Plus, it uses 35 focus, which could otherwise be spent on a claw. XD