Challenge Tames

Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Challenge Tames

Unread post by Monica Gems »

Remember when everyone said they wanted more than just trap-n-tame?

If this is the case, whya re we discussing strategies to AVOID the hardest parts of the tames?
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Challenge Tames

Unread post by Kalliope »

It's not the same people.

Those who want the more complex tames are doing them the way they're intended. Those who don't are looking for the easy way out.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Also, every challenge spawns endless posts and writeups as players mull over the "best", fastest, etc ways to overcome game challenges.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I like having a variety of approaches >_> Taming on the ledge worked for me getting Kirix, but not someone else, etc.

That said, I wish most of the challenge didn't come from 'Oh god please don't let that dude kill my pet before tame runs out'.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Novikova wrote:That said, I wish most of the challenge didn't come from 'Oh god please don't let that dude kill my pet before tame runs out'.
/nod

I totally understand this one - it's not just the fear of screwing up, but more the fear that you may only get one chance at it due to competition, e.g. it's not just a challenge that you can work your way up to, it's a challenge that you basically need to get right on the first time or GTFO.

Now obviously nothing prevents you from camping again and trying on the next spawn, but that kind of uncertainty (will it even appear while I'm on, did it pop and get tamed while I was getting a soda, etc) combined with the loooong intervals between tries, means that tips you pick up from attempt A may not be that fresh by the time attempt B comes around (esp if attempt B happens to be at 3am), and so forth.

Which is not to say it NEEDS TO BE CHANGED - it doesn't, at least not in my view. Some things are meant to be hard after all, sometimes extremely so.

But I understand where you're coming from - this sort of thing certainly has an unnatural skill progression. When you fail at something hard, it's normal to want to jump right back in the ring and put all that frustrated angst to good use, not sit back and say "oh well, guess I'll try again some other time".. :)
Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Monica Gems »

Novikova wrote:I like having a variety of approaches >_> Taming on the ledge worked for me getting Kirix, but not someone else, etc.
Taming on the ledge is avoiding the whole point, was what I was getting at.

A tiny part of me would love to see a way for some of these mobs to be untameable unless you do it at least close to the intended way; what's the point of taming ChallengePetXII if you're just going to cheese it anyway?
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

The rock method on Kirix was hotfixed anyway so people have to do it legitly on the ledge anyway.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Novikova

Monica Gems wrote:
Novikova wrote:I like having a variety of approaches >_> Taming on the ledge worked for me getting Kirix, but not someone else, etc.
Taming on the ledge is avoiding the whole point, was what I was getting at.

A tiny part of me would love to see a way for some of these mobs to be untameable unless you do it at least close to the intended way; what's the point of taming ChallengePetXII if you're just going to cheese it anyway?
How is it avoiding the whole point? I can still die quite easily. I can still get stunned and hit by his abilities. I never did it on the rock where he evaded. I worked just as hard as someone who used the disengage method, and died a few times too.

Some people do better with disengage than the ledge and vice versa. They are both valid- either stack oodles of haste or hope you have good reflexes.

I never advocated anyone tame Skitterflame with the scare beast method for example.

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Heh... I see Kirix about every other day while doing my dr00d dailies.

I just /wave pleasantly and go on my way. Too much bother for something with a common model imo, but to each his own. :)
Anj
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Anj »

Jessibelle wrote:The rock method on Kirix was hotfixed anyway so people have to do it legitly on the ledge anyway.
I'm confirming this. Magmatoxin hit me on the ledge and on the rock. So I went ground level and did it the proper way. Thanks Jessibelle for the Disengage approach, after a couple of deaths, I managed to pull it off. It's more exciting and makes the tame more worth it.
Remember, this is no sprint. The true test of a hunter tests his endurance over the course of a long expedition.
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

Monica, a lot of people do it the "easy" way because they don't trust themselves to do it right the "hard" way, are afraid someone is going to steal their tame, are afraid someone is going to grief them, or are already being griefed. Or it could be the only way to tame that they learned.

You wouldn't be able to tame that way if Blizzard didn't want us to be able to. It may be slightly easier, but it's still more challenging than just hitting the tame button.

My suggestion would be not to use the "easier" ways of taming if you don't want to and let everyone else make the same decision for themselves. What right do we have to make people's decisions for them?
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Aeladrine wrote:My suggestion would be not to use the "easier" ways of taming if you don't want to and let everyone else make the same decision for themselves. What right do we have to make people's decisions for them?
^
Kalliope

The Kirix rock method is about the only acceptable method to me out of the "easier" methods, since 1) the toxin CAN hit and 2) Kirix is the only one of the new rares with any sort of gear/hp requirement, so it's a nice option for players who don't meet it.

The only methods that shouldn't be used at all, IMO, are the ones that clearly exploit a bug, like Skitter. :/

YouTube Edition

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kalliope wrote:The Kirix rock method is about the only acceptable method to me out of the "easier" methods, since 1) the toxin CAN hit and 2) Kirix is the only one of the new rares with any sort of gear/hp requirement, so it's a nice option for players who don't meet it.

The only methods that shouldn't be used at all, IMO, are the ones that clearly exploit a bug, like Skitter. :/
The rock method is hotfixed while scare beast was not so...Blizz apparently didn't think the rock method was acceptable at all.

EDIT: That that back...guess it wasnt hotfixed. Personally I still feel the legit way is better and rock method is far from legit.

LisaaraPokefarm

Novikova

Eeer, what's the rock method? I used the ledge, but Kirix was still able to hit me/blew me up a few times. I honestly didn't know about the disengage method when I went to tame Kirix. :/

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Novikova wrote:Eeer, what's the rock method? I used the ledge, but Kirix was still able to hit me/blew me up a few times. I honestly didn't know about the disengage method when I went to tame Kirix. :/
You sit on one of the floating rocks and try to tame him to make him evade bug.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope

Jessibelle wrote:
Novikova wrote:Eeer, what's the rock method? I used the ledge, but Kirix was still able to hit me/blew me up a few times. I honestly didn't know about the disengage method when I went to tame Kirix. :/
You sit on one of the floating rocks and try to tame him to make him evade bug.
The rock method involves taming Kirix from one of the floating rocks, yes, but you don't try to make him evade bug; that's what happens when the tame isn't being done correctly. No wonder you're seeing so many hunters failing.

The tame is done like so:
- Stand on one of the floating rocks
- Start taming
- Wait for Kirix to start casting his toxin and break the tame by casting deterrence. Immediately start taming again.
- If the tame completes before the next toxin cast, congratulations, you should now have Kirix by your side. If not, you will definitely die to the toxin and will need to either tighten up your rotation or stack more haste to succeed.

The rock method removes the poison from the equation (therefore allowing players with low hp to tame successfully) and replaces it with the possible evading issues. Both methods require precise timing of deterrence, so the essence of the tame remains the same.

YouTube Edition

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

If you do it on his ledge and you're far from him, poison isnt in the equation til the last second anyway. ;) Thats the whole point of the disengage in the air.

Also I've seen people do the rock method where he wasnt evading and the tame finished but they still dont get him. Thats why many thought it was hotfixed.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope

You're still taking some poison ticks on the ledge, regardless of the disengagement's timing. The disengage makes that method possible without any haste.

I know how the method works. ;)

YouTube Edition

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I used disengage with haste in mostly T11 and STILL almost died from him.

LisaaraPokefarm