Griefing and what it means to you

Sarantha
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Re: Griefing and what it means to you

Unread post by Sarantha »

To me, griefing means the person is a *insert very bad word here*.

It just means they don't care if they ruin a person's gaming experience, no matter what, even knowing that the person you're griefing isn't just pixels, but a REAL PERSON! People don't realize they are hurting a real person, not just pixels. I have had many tames griefed from me, so much that I eventually posted a thread that caused much drama and convinced me that helping tame rares for others is not worth the grief it causes me to lose a tame I was helping get someone. Griefers should be punished by Blizzard, and we should be told about it. If anything, just so we know something is being done and they're not blowing it off.
Part of Dark Magics, lvl 25 Horde guild, casual, helpful, don't raid, mostly help people and hunt pets.
Part of Dynasty, lvl 25 Alliance guild, casual and hardcore (your choice, no one forces you to raid, but you can), very helpful
Come on over if interested (Runetotem US, Horde name Sarantha, Ally name Ellysetta or Valeraud)
SouLost
Realm: Kargath

Unread post by SouLost »

To be honest, I don't think Blizz does anything to "punish" those players, all they do is "look into the issue."

Sig By Feralclaw =) Ty *Hugz
AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by AdamSavage »

SouLost wrote:To be honest, I don't think Blizz does anything to "punish" those players, all they do is "look into the issue."
I'm starting to wonder this myself, mostly due to the sheer number of reports from other players. You add that on to the sheer number of tickets they have to reply to then yeah, I could see them just shrugging it off unfortunately.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

Well I can tell you that they do actually look into things if a single person is reported numerous times, apparently. The "Main" griefer on my server ended up having his account banned completely from the game, with all of his characters on it. I had thought for awhile...gee, they really must have got rid of that asshole, I havent seen him around in forever.

....so what did he do? Just got another account, re-leveled, and is back to the same old tricks. He even named his new characters excatly the same as his old ones, except using the special character lettering. He still specially loves tortureing camping hunters by either killing them with the pet they are camping for if they are of the opposite faction, or waiting around just to kill the rare with his already tamed one if your of the same faction. He is a PVPer, so he just waits around spawn points while waiting for BG ques. Any time he ever sees me, I get emote-spammed with /spit /laugh /fart since he knows I have him on ignore. He does the same thing pretty much to anyone.
AdamSavage

They should rebann him, it wouldn't be hard to figure out if it was the same person.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

AdamSavage wrote:They should rebann him, it wouldn't be hard to figure out if it was the same person.
Oh I know. And I have already had to report his new characters two or three times now for harassing me. I just get the same old "We'll look into it." copy and paste reply. Telling me that I should use the "report player" option instead of ticketing, ect ect...Yet, I still see him hanging around. Pointing and laughing at people in SW who has also put him on ignore.
AdamSavage

Mychelle wrote:
AdamSavage wrote:They should rebann him, it wouldn't be hard to figure out if it was the same person.
Oh I know. And I have already had to report his new characters two or three times now for harassing me. I just get the same old "We'll look into it." copy and paste reply. Telling me that I should use the "report player" option instead of ticketing, ect ect...Yet, I still see him hanging around. Pointing and laughing at people in SW who has also put him on ignore.
I hate it when they use the report player via right clicking reply. I gave the last GM who use that a bad feedback, I don't like to do that but when you do that, to me it says you didn't even bother to read the ticket.

Dr. Who Video!

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

SouLost wrote:To be honest, I don't think Blizz does anything to "punish" those players, all they do is "look into the issue."
Thats actually not the case.....I had a very long talk to a GM about this.

1. They dont keep combat logs so they cannot see who tagged what first. Combat logs would take way too much space.
2. They can't look at screenshots because they can be altered.

These two reasons alone make griefing VERY hard to prove and GMs have to take BOTH sides into consideration. It's like being an officer of a guild. You hear someone complaining about something but whatever they complained about.....you never see it. Now as an officer, you can prove things a bit better. GMs cant take severe action unless its stupidly obvious. If they did, they'd get into huge trouble.

GMs are trying their best guys but you gotta put yourself in their shoes.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

Mychelle wrote:Well I can tell you that they do actually look into things if a single person is reported numerous times, apparently. The "Main" griefer on my server ended up having his account banned completely from the game, with all of his characters on it. I had thought for awhile...gee, they really must have got rid of that asshole, I havent seen him around in forever.

....so what did he do? Just got another account, re-leveled, and is back to the same old tricks. He even named his new characters excatly the same as his old ones, except using the special character lettering. He still specially loves tortureing camping hunters by either killing them with the pet they are camping for if they are of the opposite faction, or waiting around just to kill the rare with his already tamed one if your of the same faction. He is a PVPer, so he just waits around spawn points while waiting for BG ques. Any time he ever sees me, I get emote-spammed with /spit /laugh /fart since he knows I have him on ignore. He does the same thing pretty much to anyone.
Am I the only one who finds it amusing how much this guy is willing to go through in order to get his daily dose of griefing? *chuckles* That's almost $100 for all new expansions and game time for the leveling! All that knowing that he'll get this new account banned sooner or later, too. What then? Third go? If he keeps that up, he'll be sitting at the side of the road in no time.
AdamSavage

The good news is I'm seeing the rares show up alot more on my server, Molten front is not nearly as busy as it used to be. I think the only ones out there now are people doing the questing on there alts. Deth'tilac spawned again today, I was going to see if I could help someone tame him but my dungeon queue came up. I finally got him with the help of a guildie and another hunter a few days ago.

Dr. Who Video!

Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Golden wrote:
Mychelle wrote:Well I can tell you that they do actually look into things if a single person is reported numerous times, apparently. The "Main" griefer on my server ended up having his account banned completely from the game, with all of his characters on it. I had thought for awhile...gee, they really must have got rid of that asshole, I havent seen him around in forever.

Am I the only one who finds it amusing how much this guy is willing to go through in order to get his daily dose of griefing? *chuckles* That's almost $100 for all new expansions and game time for the leveling! All that knowing that he'll get this new account banned sooner or later, too. What then? Third go? If he keeps that up, he'll be sitting at the side of the road in no time.
It really is rather laughable-pathetic that he went through all that trouble just because he enjoys being a ass. Even I didnt believe he got an entire new account until I actually -saw- him. I was like...No one is really -that- much of an ass...

He even has his own "griefing" guild believe it or not. Ive seen him, and a few of his "buddies" advertising the guild in trade chat, and they even flat out say in the advertisement that they are looking for players to "...and pretty much be a dick to other players ingeneral, PST today! NO NERDS ALLOWED." Something along those lines if I remember right.

Its just too insane to be made up. lol. Anyone who plays either horde or alliance on Eredar I am sure knows excatly what Im talking about. At least mainly on Alliance.

But as far as I am concerned, its JUST this guy thats proven to me that not enough is being done to handle the player base. At all.
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Jessibelle wrote:
Thats actually not the case.....I had a very long talk to a GM about this.

1. They dont keep combat logs so they cannot see who tagged what first. Combat logs would take way too much space.
2. They can't look at screenshots because they can be altered.

These two reasons alone make griefing VERY hard to prove and GMs have to take BOTH sides into consideration. It's like being an officer of a guild. You hear someone complaining about something but whatever they complained about.....you never see it. Now as an officer, you can prove things a bit better. GMs cant take severe action unless its stupidly obvious. If they did, they'd get into huge trouble.

GMs are trying their best guys but you gotta put yourself in their shoes.
^

Yes. It's natural when you're pissed off at someone, to lose the ability to step outside yourself for a minute and imagine how the situation looks to a 3rd person who arrived later and doesn't know either of you personally, e.g. the /cackling /farting nuisance who was killing your rare an hour ago is suddenly a peaceful, mild mannered bystander who is bewildered at your "inexplicable" angst towards him, now that he is being questioned by a GM.

Oftentimes frustration we feel towards GMs is really just misplaced aggression toward the sad state of human nature as a whole...
Atalanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Daggerspine/Frostwhisper EU

Unread post by Atalanta »

You can't blame Blizzard really for not banning the person right off the bat. As already said in here, it's an extremely hard act to punish simply because there's no evidence for it that they'll take into consideration, other than your word. I think the only time they actually DO something about it is when they've received multiple complaints about the same player, which you've only gotta hope for if they really are an ass, and causing you a lot of grief.

Just yesterday, I was in storm peaks and there was an Alliance player who was repeatedly flying around me in tight circles. I didn't even target the player, I just let them play their silly little game, and after about 10 minutes they left me alone. I had a similar problem with this once when camping Aeonaxx; a Hunter was flying on top of me all the time, like covering my characters body. He carried on doing it for about an hour, until I just flew away and camped in another spot (which came to my gain ;D).

I can only suggest to people that have problems with players on a daily basis and can't get the help of the GM's, is to just try and rise above it. Try your damn hardest to ignore it, and if they do something such as killing a pet you're taming then you should try looking into going higher up the chain... it's what I'd do.

Druid // Hunter

"There is only one God and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: Not today."

Sarantha
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Sarantha »

I've never been accused of being a griefer in game, but someone semi-accused me of griefing on here by taming a pet I already had for "emotional attachment" or "roleplay" reasons. To me, THAT ISNT GRIEFING! Griefing is when you set out to ruin someone's day. This was just something I did because I felt like I was doing the right thing, to me personally. I didn't re-tame it because I felt like pissing people off. I retamed it because I sat there for 2 hours and no one wanted it, and it was in a high traffic area and it was not neutral so someone was bound to kill it sooner or later. For "roleplay" reasons, I tamed it myself rather than see it die. To me, thats not griefing. If I had killed it while someone else was wanting it, THEN I think I would be griefing. It is ENTIRELY POSSIBLE someone logged on at the very moment my tame went off that wanted it, but how was I to know? A LOT of hunters are in my RareCampers channel and none of them wanted it or knew anyone who did. I even had people asking their friends to try and find this poor pet a home before someone killed it. After 2 hours and no hits, I tamed it because I love the pet personally.

Speaking of griefing, I watched a mage kill Skarr while 3 hunters were trying. THAT is griefing. He outright killed it when 3 people obviously wanted it bad enough to keep dying for it. Even when he was asked to stop, he still kept dpsing it. I do not think Blizzard cares about griefing anymore, really. Even with this "mini-patch" they didn't fix anything to stop people from griefing the new rares, so its pretty obvious they don't GIVE TWO SHITS about people griefing, even though they've had many reports about it, and many posts in the hunter forums or on the general forums.

People will keep griefing until this game ends, imo. There is nothing we can do about it, and Blizzard doesn't care. When I go to Blizzcon, if I somehow get to ask a question to the Devs, my question will be about hunter rares and griefing.

As for taming 2 of the same pet, I know many people who do this, for different reason. Roleplay, just love the pet, want a pvp version of the same pet to spec differently, whatever, and I don't think I was wrong or griefing anyone by taming the same pet twice. If Blizzard wanted, they could fix THIS too, by making it to where you can't tame a pet if you already have it in your stables, pet call list, whatever.
Part of Dark Magics, lvl 25 Horde guild, casual, helpful, don't raid, mostly help people and hunt pets.
Part of Dynasty, lvl 25 Alliance guild, casual and hardcore (your choice, no one forces you to raid, but you can), very helpful
Come on over if interested (Runetotem US, Horde name Sarantha, Ally name Ellysetta or Valeraud)
Aquillian
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel

Unread post by Aquillian »

I reported someone who'd killed Deth'tilac mid-tame, and had been doing so for days once. The GM who replied to me said that was 'part of what makes rarespawns so appealing to hunters and I'd get my turn soon enough. I was pretty livid, considering A)

-"My turn?" I was a druid. I don't even want Deth... I was only there helping a friend tame him, which is exactly what I said.
-People killing a rarespawn mid-tame is NOT, in fact, what makes rarespawns appealing to most hunters. What on earth...? Who would seriously say that?

I guess next time I'll just re-submit and hope I get a GM who cares more/actually reads what I wrote. :/
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Aquillian wrote:I reported someone who'd killed Deth'tilac mid-tame, and had been doing so for days once. The GM who replied to me said that was 'part of what makes rarespawns so appealing to hunters and I'd get my turn soon enough. I was pretty livid, considering A)

-"My turn?" I was a druid. I don't even want Deth... I was only there helping a friend tame him, which is exactly what I said.
-People killing a rarespawn mid-tame is NOT, in fact, what makes rarespawns appealing to most hunters. What on earth...? Who would seriously say that?

I guess next time I'll just re-submit and hope I get a GM who cares more/actually reads what I wrote. :/

I hope you filed a feedback report. :)
ImageImage
Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Sigh. Does everyone remember that asshole I was talking about?

The other day, when I was doing the christmas daily, ON christmas mind you, he was abusing the ability to have both Horde and Alliance characters on the same account Edit: Server. He apparently owns two druids, one horde, one alliance. Both feral. So he thought it was real cute to just switch from character to character depending who was in the area. At first, when I showed up, he was on his Alliance druid stealthing around and sniping out the few hordies in the area with him and two equally asshole-ish rogues in his Alliance-Gank guild he created. Of course though when he saw me, he quickly logged onto his Horde Druid to start harassing me, making it where I couldnt land, ect. And basically harassing the alliance in the group. We stayed there nearly an hour and half before just giving up because whoever was tanking the greench, be it an alliance or horde character, he'd just switch and kill them. I know it was the same person, because his alliance and horde druids are named excatly the same, just different spelling with the special " 'a " letter things. A bunch of his "lackeys" were laughing it up in general chat as well.

Why the FUCK is this prick not banned yet? =/
AdamSavage

Mychelle wrote:Sigh. Does everyone remember that asshole I was talking about?

The other day, when I was doing the christmas daily, ON christmas mind you, he was abusing the ability to have both Horde and Alliance characters on the same account Edit: Server. He apparently owns two druids, one horde, one alliance. Both feral. So he thought it was real cute to just switch from character to character depending who was in the area. At first, when I showed up, he was on his Alliance druid stealthing around and sniping out the few hordies in the area with him and two equally asshole-ish rogues in his Alliance-Gank guild he created. Of course though when he saw me, he quickly logged onto his Horde Druid to start harassing me, making it where I couldnt land, ect. And basically harassing the alliance in the group. We stayed there nearly an hour and half before just giving up because whoever was tanking the greench, be it an alliance or horde character, he'd just switch and kill them. I know it was the same person, because his alliance and horde druids are named excatly the same, just different spelling with the special " 'a " letter things. A bunch of his "lackeys" were laughing it up in general chat as well.

Sounds like you should call Customer Service and talk to some directly vs an in game ticket. See if you get better luck that way.

Dr. Who Video!

Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

AdamSavage wrote:
Mychelle wrote:Sigh. Does everyone remember that asshole I was talking about?

Sounds like you should call Customer Service and talk to some directly vs an in game ticket. See if you get better luck that way.
I really am thinking about doing it next I see him trying to pull a little stunt like this. With my better computer now I'll be able to actually keep fraps running so I can turn on record if I actually see him doing anything of the sort even remotely like this event again. If anything I'll at least have recorded video evidence instead of just my "word" on it, even if that might not get me very far.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Griefing to me, is that i HAVE to rely on other ppl in order to get achivements, that I HAVE to pvp, be in raids, take part of holydays which i may or may not consent to . all of that i have to do if i want ahcivements.

But, one migth say, you dont HAVE to do it, you can be without achivements... Well to me the achivements is not something that i can choose to do, its something that i HAVE to do... and it really sadness me that i have to be with other ppl to do them

I love MMORPG games cause they evolve more then a regular platform game, but ohh how i whish they would make a MMORPG game where i did not have to be part of a guild, talk to anyone, be in grps or in raids in order to get : pets, mounts, achivement, set gear etc.

I know that i prolly are one in a million who feel that way... sigh but i dont like platform games, i want a solo mmorpg, where i can choose wehter or not i want to take part of the community. I could eazly see an option to solo lets say icc25 heroics, same drop, same look but lower stat.. i wouldt care less about the stats, its the set look i want.

rant over.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig