Griefing and what it means to you

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Griefing and what it means to you

Unread post by Lisaara »

Tårnfalk wrote:Griefing to me, is that i HAVE to rely on other ppl in order to get achivements, that I HAVE to pvp, be in raids, take part of holydays which i may or may not consent to . all of that i have to do if i want ahcivements.

But, one migth say, you dont HAVE to do it, you can be without achivements... Well to me the achivements is not something that i can choose to do, its something that i HAVE to do... and it really sadness me that i have to be with other ppl to do them

I love MMORPG games cause they evolve more then a regular platform game, but ohh how i whish they would make a MMORPG game where i did not have to be part of a guild, talk to anyone, be in grps or in raids in order to get : pets, mounts, achivement, set gear etc.

I know that i prolly are one in a million who feel that way... sigh but i dont like platform games, i want a solo mmorpg, where i can choose wehter or not i want to take part of the community. I could eazly see an option to solo lets say icc25 heroics, same drop, same look but lower stat.. i wouldt care less about the stats, its the set look i want.

rant over.
That's not griefing....at all. The whole point of an MMORPG is to be around other people and rely on them.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Jessibelle wrote: That's not griefing....at all. The whole point of an MMORPG is to be around other people and rely on them.

not for me - which was the point of my grief ;)

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Tårnfalk wrote:
Jessibelle wrote: That's not griefing....at all. The whole point of an MMORPG is to be around other people and rely on them.

not for me - which was the point of my grief ;)
Eh....imho, this seemed more like a rant. Griefing is more like harassment or someone doing something to piss you off. Not because you dislike playing with other people. But eh....*shrug*

LisaaraPokefarm

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

disigners of mmorgp does this to me :P . but i know what u mean.. .maybe i should have moved it to the rant thread :)

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Tårnfalk wrote:disigners of mmorgp does this to me :P . but i know what u mean.. .maybe i should have moved it to the rant thread :)
No biggie. XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Karin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bad Ash Realms

Unread post by Karin »

Griefing is simply a way to make people feel very happy about themselves by making others miserable than misery. Killing for achievements is one thing, killing for their own slap-happy ego is another. It's one of the reasons justice must be served, which is indeed a sad thing.

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Jessibelle wrote:
Tårnfalk wrote:Griefing to me, is that i HAVE to rely on other ppl in order to get achivements, that I HAVE to pvp, be in raids, take part of holydays which i may or may not consent to . all of that i have to do if i want ahcivements.

But, one migth say, you dont HAVE to do it, you can be without achivements... Well to me the achivements is not something that i can choose to do, its something that i HAVE to do... and it really sadness me that i have to be with other ppl to do them

I love MMORPG games cause they evolve more then a regular platform game, but ohh how i whish they would make a MMORPG game where i did not have to be part of a guild, talk to anyone, be in grps or in raids in order to get : pets, mounts, achivement, set gear etc.

I know that i prolly are one in a million who feel that way... sigh but i dont like platform games, i want a solo mmorpg, where i can choose wehter or not i want to take part of the community. I could eazly see an option to solo lets say icc25 heroics, same drop, same look but lower stat.. i wouldt care less about the stats, its the set look i want.

rant over.
That's not griefing....at all.
Agreed
Jessibelle wrote:The whole point of an MMORPG is to be around other people and rely on them.
Not the whole point - once upon a time that was the case, but that was back in the days when Everquest was the only big fantasy MMO.

Nowadays it's still important ofc, even central - but solo'ing has grown into its own separate niche, albeit a secondary / smaller one, and may well grow further still in this and/or other "MMO"s.

I know YOU get that :), but there are other people out there who still like to dismiss solo'ing as "MMO means multiplayer"... people who don't know what it's like playing in an actual, true MMO, where even outdoor questing required a group... :?
Turgus
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ravencrest

Unread post by Turgus »

Mychelle wrote:Sigh. Does everyone remember that asshole I was talking about?

The other day, when I was doing the christmas daily, ON christmas mind you, he was abusing the ability to have both Horde and Alliance characters on the same account Edit: Server. He apparently owns two druids, one horde, one alliance. Both feral. So he thought it was real cute to just switch from character to character depending who was in the area. At first, when I showed up, he was on his Alliance druid stealthing around and sniping out the few hordies in the area with him and two equally asshole-ish rogues in his Alliance-Gank guild he created. Of course though when he saw me, he quickly logged onto his Horde Druid to start harassing me, making it where I couldnt land, ect. And basically harassing the alliance in the group. We stayed there nearly an hour and half before just giving up because whoever was tanking the greench, be it an alliance or horde character, he'd just switch and kill them. I know it was the same person, because his alliance and horde druids are named excatly the same, just different spelling with the special " 'a " letter things. A bunch of his "lackeys" were laughing it up in general chat as well.

Why the FUCK is this prick not banned yet? =/
I am going to assume that he was able to do this because you are on a PvP server.
(For me on a PvE server, if its red, its dead because they had to do something to get flagged)

Yes he was being a jerk, but being on a PvP server you open yourself to all sorts of "griefing" which is in itself authorized because of the type of server you are on.
Back when I was on a PvP server I camped people on occasion to be sure, even waited until they pulled a quest mob, was distracted, etc, before jumping them.
(I generally let them go if they spirit rezzed unless they really t-ed me off)
I have also had someone do stuff like that to me, or groups of people even.
But that's what happens on a PvP server.
Frustrating, and aggravating to be sure.
But it's just the name of the game.

It's one of the reasons that I switched to a PvE server, because sometimes I didn't want to PvP, especially when I was trying to tame stuff.

So my suggestion would be for you to switch to a PvE server where this kind of thing is obviously griefing which is reportable, instead of living in a grey area that are PvP servers where they are likely able to get away with.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Griefing to me is where someone does something solely for the sake of making someone unhappy.

There have been a few times that I've kept killing the same person over and over (on a pve server) I was in STV at the rebel base camp when this lil flagged horde kept running in...so I set my warp chaser to aggressive and let him chow on the hordie (all of 2 bites). Silly guy kept coming back...So my warp chaser keeps nomming him. Must have taken him about 5-6 deaths before he rezzed at the graveyard and ran off.

Another time I was farming skins in winterspring, killing yeti when a flagged horde kept trying to get my lowbie to accidently hit him...So I hopped on my druid (main at the time) and stalked into the cave and beat his butt over and over until he fled.

I don't like ruining the game for others unless they are trying to ruin other peoples fun, in that case I feel no pitty for em.

I did have fun in Hellfire "Griefing" a Troll that was trying to cap the towers...I'd come in, knock his health down till he was almost dead, and then stop. I think this went on for half an hour. The only time I killed him though was when he attacked another alliance (near his level) that was trying to cap another tower. Eventually he figured out I would let him cap towers, and wouldn't kill him, if he didn't strike any first blows on any alliance. In the end we had a dance party on top of the towers before we went our separate ways.
I didn't want to ruin his fun, just make him a little nervous...but like I said once he figured out my rules, we had some fun bantering.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Banard

Unread post by Banard »

Mychelle wrote:Sigh. Does everyone remember that asshole I was talking about?

The other day, when I was doing the christmas daily, ON christmas mind you, he was abusing the ability to have both Horde and Alliance characters on the same account Edit: Server. He apparently owns two druids, one horde, one alliance. Both feral. So he thought it was real cute to just switch from character to character depending who was in the area. At first, when I showed up, he was on his Alliance druid stealthing around and sniping out the few hordies in the area with him and two equally asshole-ish rogues in his Alliance-Gank guild he created. Of course though when he saw me, he quickly logged onto his Horde Druid to start harassing me, making it where I couldnt land, ect. And basically harassing the alliance in the group. We stayed there nearly an hour and half before just giving up because whoever was tanking the greench, be it an alliance or horde character, he'd just switch and kill them. I know it was the same person, because his alliance and horde druids are named excatly the same, just different spelling with the special " 'a " letter things. A bunch of his "lackeys" were laughing it up in general chat as well.

Why the FUCK is this prick not banned yet? =/
.. because you can click his name put him on ignore or report harassment.

Not defending the behavior, just providing you with the options. The worst addition to the game is the ability to create horde and alliance on the same PVP server. Its a direct result of that. So blame blizzard.

In the end if this really bothers you, get off a pvp server.

but to me these days I have the same definition of griefing. Its the good old "internet bully". I been seeing them a lot farming bloody coins (998 more to go for the title). Some of the responses are just crazy, the things people say. They try so hard to get a rise out of ya.