Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 3: Crocolisks!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 3: Crocolisks!

Unread post by Wassa »

Former threads:
1) Moths
2) Warp Stalkers

Random pet family appreciation thread is where I roll a random pet family every week for everyone to share their pictures, their stories, their love for that pet family. Please no hate or rants. This is an appreciation thread. If you dislike the family, don't post! Hopefully with some love we can get some hunters to try out new pets they never would have thought to tame before.

Our third family is the snappy Crocolisk family!
Plus those silly slimes and hydras that thought they were crocolisks.

Crocolisk facts

~Crocolisks have been tameable since Vanilla WoW.

~Crocolisks have two different tameable models and nine different skin colors.

~Crocolisks have five rare members: Goretooth, Gosh-Haldir, Mahamba, Ripscale, and Sewer Beast.

~Crocolisks have one unique skinned named member, Gorebite with a purple skin.

~Crocolisks have three retired members: Spirit of Atha (Ghost Hydra), Spirit of Ha-Khalan (Ghost Crocolisk), and Spirit of Koosu (Slime). These three where summoned from the quest A Cleansing Song and tameable, the hydra and slime mislabeled as crocolisks. Their tameability was removed soon afterwards, but you still might see a hunter with a hydra or slime. The hydra has since been relabeled into the Hydra family. Since the Hydra family is untameable I'm not going to a random pet family appreciation thread on them. Please post your ghost hydra stories here.

~Crocolisks have three different color changers.

~Back in Wrath, crocolisks where tamed by 0.7% of level 80 hunters, placing them number 17 on the list, tied with serpents. (Source)

~Back in Wrath, crocodileskinriver was the most tamed skin at 42.3%, being that Mangal Crocolisk was the highest level crocolisk in the game at the time and easy to tame. Crocodileskinalbinoghost was the least tamed skin at 0.4%, due to being a retired skin. However, the other two retired skins where at number two and three on the list with the ghost hydra at 16.0% and the slime at 14.7%. (Source)

~Crocolisks had no special ability until Wrath, where they where given Bad Attitude which acted like Thorns on the crocolisk when activated.

~You can ride a crocolisk "mount" during the quest A Rough Ride.

~There are four crocolisk minipets in game named Chuck, Muckbreath, Snarly, and Toothy. There are obtained from the Shattrath fishing daily Crocolisks in the City.

~Sewer Beast is a rare found in the canals of Stormwind and the only tameable mob that spawns inside a capital city, making him one of the hardest pets to tame for a horde hunter looking for a challenge.

~Vern is a very large "rare" crocolisk found in the Dalarn sewers. However, he is unattackable and untameable.

~The original crocolisk model is the only tameable pet that can blink its eyes. The cataclysm crocolisk model, however, cannot blink.
Last edited by Wassa on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 3: Crocolisks!

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wee, another one of my favourite pets! :D

As most people probably know by now, crocodiles are my favourite real life animals, so naturally I've always been fond of the in game crocolisks. ^^

Aleister, Veph's purple croc pictured in the screenies here, is counted as one of my Top 5 pets. I couldn't get over the excitement of seeing a purple crocolisk from the leaked Cataclysm models. It was a long and harrowing wait through the beta period to find out if it was going to be made tameable, and my sheer relief and joy when Gorebite finally came through was astronomical.

I consider the purple model my favourite of course, but I love each and every crocolisk skin. The original models have beautiful scale details and natural patterning, and I really like how their eyes are full of personality (they blink and squint!). I was always fond of their constant hissing and grumbling, I know some people find it annoying, but I thought it was endearing. I like loud pets. :) The new Cataclysm models are gorgeous with the extra spikes (I love how they have devilish horns!), detailed textures, and toothy grins. I sincerely hope we end up with the option of choosing our pet's talent tree in MoP so that I can use Aleister as a ferocity pet, and therefore more often. :mrgreen:

The swim animation, for all models, is another excellent feature, they're so smooth and graceful in the water.

starkittens
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: mok'nathal, Runetotem, and a couple others

Unread post by starkittens »

WOO! I love my Albino croc! I always take her into PVP, and with her, I hardly die! WOOO!

(Misc pics of her)

That's my SnapFire! (the first pic is her, and one of Sara's warp stalkers, I had to post that one :lol: )

The burns of a fire may heal with time
but the burns from our love will never heal, even as the years pass on
{My Magistream Keep}{My DA}{My DC scroll}

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Oh Wassa, you have this thing for rolling all the pet families I love so far. :P

Well, I can't find the shot of Momma I really wanted to post, but one of the crocs I love most is this beautiful green gal. :D

I personally find that crocs make great leveling partners for low level hunters, especially SV and MM ones as their slow special ability makes it even easier to kill a mob before it touches you.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

Crocolisks are definitely one of those types of pets that converted me from "eh" to "omgiluvusooomuch--squee"!

Although I found the original older models quite detailed and lovely, none of them held my interest enough to become a permanent pet in any of my stables. When Cataclysm was released, and newer models were introduced, I still maintained a distant appreciation for them but never personally desired to ever tame one for myself.

My Troll huntress Kadija however, was in the habit of acquiring colorfully-skinned beasts that were outside my traditional practices. Pets that felt too abscure standing next to my other hunters fit in perfectly when paired with my Troll. So I experimented a bit with various types of beasts, one of them being the crocolisk. I was fortunate enough to come across Gosh-Haldir (renamed Makhaira) in my travels one day and decided to give him a shot.

The connection was so instant that it took me by complete surprise! A beast I had no previous interest in had utterly won me over in almost every aspect - I had never experienced that type of reaction before! I was hooked on crocolisks from then on end. They're now one of my favorite types of beast in the game. I thoroughly encourage anyone and everyone with a hunter to try one out at least once - they just might surprise you too!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My admiration has inspired me to add even more crocolisks onto my stables since. Synestra has a beautiful, yet ferocious, purple croc named Viscera and Drakara is quickly leveling her way to acquiring a brown and red croc from Uldum who will be named Attila.

Image Image
Last edited by Niabi on Fri May 23, 2014 12:41 am, edited 8 times in total.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

I love the crocs! Im torn between the models tho cause i really love the vanilla models for how rugged and worn they look, they have real character to them that makes me fall in love with them much more then the new models but as always theres a catch to that.. you can see where the croc has been chopped up on the body to allow movement. You can actually see it.. not just when it walks or runs, but when its just standing there. Pretty much killed my dreams of having an old world croc cause i cannot stop obsessing over it. The new models are extremely well done and i really love them but they lack that character the old ones have. But the model is much better done and i get much more of a flow feeling. I just cant click with them tho no matter how many times i tame one of whatever color. And of course croc's swim is probably my most favorite swim in the game aside from warp stalkers. Warpies look like they were made for swimming. Crocs in nature have a killer epic swim, using only their tails to propel themselves and i just find it so cool to watch. I might, might.. tame a croc for doing vashj'ir quests and see if i can bond with it there, since i always know, land or sea, i'll click with warp stalkers.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Vephriel wrote:The original models have beautiful scale details and natural patterning, and I really like how their eyes are full of personality (they blink and squint!).
Now that you mention it, I believe the vanilla crocolisks are the only tameable pet that can blink its eyes. I'll add this in the fact section.
Last edited by Wassa on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Vephriel

Wassa wrote:
Vephriel wrote:The original models have beautiful scale details and natural patterning, and I really like how their eyes are full of personality (they blink and squint!).
Now that you mention it, I believe the vanilla crocolisks are the only tameable pet that can blink it's eyes. I'll add this in the fact section.
Oh you're right, I had never thought of that before. I can't think of any other species that have eye animations.
Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

I've been lurking more than posting these last few months but this thread has brought me out of the shadows! I absolutely love crocolisks. It was a very unexpected attraction. I never thought I'd have crocs as pets but I adore them now. It all started with Casanova, my main BE hunter's big white handsome dude. Now on my new Draenei hunter I just had to get a croc as soon as possible. I named her Laga (Goddess of the Springs). I love everything about them, they're so detailed, their growly sounds, the way they move, everything about them just oozes personality. Definitely some of my favorite animals in the game! :D

CandidHeartbeat
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Thrall-US [Horde], Moon Guard-US [Alliance]

Unread post by CandidHeartbeat »

Yajuu, a crocolisk I ended up keeping through the tame challenge. He doesn't get used as much as he should, though he is the only Crocolisk on either of my hunters - my bear does more for me, Yajuu still holds a spot in Loki's heart. He has been stabled for awhile now, though he may get some questing in once she hits 85.

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Krikey, a marsh green crocolisk I tamed in the wetlands was my absolute favorite pet in Wrath. I loved his Bad Attitude, constantly giving his opinion on anything and everything :)

Recently, I've tamed Gosh-Haldir on my goblin alt, and she's really enjoying her Qirsh. The slow ability is especially good for low level hunters, helps keep the pet in melee range of the target.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Oh oh oh! Yay! I always liked crocolisks in WoW, but could never really bond with any of them. That is, until Cataclysm came. I absolutely adore the new model, and think all of its colors are fantastic.

Rhyela has the blue one. This one is one of the two that spawn during a quest in Uldum. I kept the name Khamen because I liked it so much. I normally don't like blue as much as other colors, but I adore his green ridges (or whatever you might call them). Besides, he's a nice steely blue.

Ariela has the whitish-purple one, named Ivan. This particular mob is Ripscale. I looked quite a while for him, and finally found him. It was hard to tell from other screenshots I had seen in the past, but he's actually got these lovely lavender tones.

Attachments
WoWScrnShot_092011_203659.jpg
WoWScrnShot_092011_203659.jpg (246.16 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
WoWScrnShot_020611_033144.jpg
WoWScrnShot_020611_033144.jpg (167.1 KiB) Viewed 3354 times

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Galaxy
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Galaxy »

Galaxy has a full stable, and oh my goodness I didn't know about that beautiful purple croc! I can't release anything to make room! *CRY*

Rosa, however, found the rare Mahamba while questing. I didn't know about the new models at the time and fell in love with his tail sway. I keep coming back to letting him tank since my beetle just won't hold aggro the same. Nothing against the beetle, trust me. My word, though, the SWIMMING ANIMATION! I know it's been mentioned before my it deserves MORE PROPS!

I haven't attempted using his mad skills in pvp, but a previous post mentioned it. I'll give it a shot and see how he does!

RP-wise, he has become a favourite at the Darkmoon Faire (Rosa works with the fair). Last run of the fair, she teased everyone to put their heads in his mouth. Only one bold human did it! Mahamba has become a consistent member of Rosa's act :D

Epic Sig by the Epic CandidHeartbeat <3
Azerothian Days

Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

I hadn't tamed any crocolisks before until rather recently when I was trying to complete my goblin hunter's "top 5" pets. I wanted to keep a reptilian theme for her (due to RP reasons) and I was completely stuck with what I could fill the remaining spot with.

I had...
1. King Krush for the primary spot, the number one beast I wanted to tame for her.
2. Highland Scytheclaw for the secondary spot whom I used leveling all the way through until I went after the elusive Ravasaur Matriarch.
3. Gezzarak the Huntress... obviously, because I love Warp Stalkers and all my hunters have at least one!
4. Chromaggus, last but not least.

But the fifth spot! I couldn't find any reptile that wouldn't be from the same family as mentioned above or fit her otherwise. I tried wind serpents and I tried chimaeras but even Nuarmoc didn't look right beside my hunter. I went to browse the big pet gallery and going through all the even remotely reptilian families again. I had always been very "eh" about the crocolisks as I'm not a big fan of their very low profile and had never even tamed one before. I decided to give it a try. Ohh boy... I went to get myself one of the new cataclysm croco skins since I hadn't really looked at them all that closely before. I decided on trying for Mahamba (because the blue eyes and green fins are simply irresistible) and lo' behold! There he (she?) was waiting for me as if it was a sign. :lol:

I really fell in love with the new cataclysm crocolisks after that. I went to camp Ripscale for my main hunter and filling my last stable slot in the process. I love the smoothness of their texture... their glowy eyes that are full of personality and the fact they have six limbs instead of four. The extra spikes and large scales really does it for me. I really love dragons and these traits look very dragon-like to me personally. Not too much, but just right! I have to agree with others when it comes to PVP; crocolisks are amazing at PVP. Especially on BG where many melee classes have complimented my pet choice which made their lives easier as well!

If you're like me and haven't even tried taming a croco before because they seem "meh" to you... do try! You may as well be positively surprised.
Vephriel

Speaking of crocs, I have an honorable mention.

If you’re ever in Dustwallow Marsh, head over to the east of Mudsprocket and say hi to a certain crocolisk who I’ve become increasingly fond of.

I first saw him while doing some Archaeology in the area. One of the Drywallow Daggermaws had apparently glitched himself up onto one of the arching logs. He didn’t move or try to path around, he just sat there basking, content as could be.

That wouldn’t be the last time I saw him though. From then on whenever I passed by I’d take a quick look, and sure enough there he was perched on his little log. There was a mishap once where I accidentally killed him with a right click while trying to jump up beside him. I decided to wait and see if he’d respawn on the log, but no…he respawned on the ground below it and wandered about like any of the other crocs. I watched him for a while to see if he would climb back up, but he didn’t seem interested. I left, came back later, and he was up there again! At some point in his pathing he must glitch and get stuck on the log, and then remain there until someone comes by and kills him. I haven’t seen any other crocolisks that do this.

Maybe if you were looking for a special croc to try out, he might be the one. :)
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Vephriel wrote:Maybe if you were looking for a special croc to try out, he might be the one. :)
Couldn't resist your swampy siren song, Veph. Never had realized how beautiful this one is. He wasn't basking when I got there, so wandered off to look for Dart's Nest and actually netted a hatchling! Patted Deadmire on my way back to the basking spot, which was still unoccupied. So instead I tamed the one near the road to Mudsprocket which is fond of nipping my low-levels in the butt. :) Named him Meander.
Galaxy
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Galaxy »

Awwww how special is he!? :D I hope he makes some hunter VERY happy!

Epic Sig by the Epic CandidHeartbeat <3
Azerothian Days

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

I'm battling over multiple crocs on Mia... I just don't know who to keep, so here's Sarahma's loyal croc, Algernon!

I used to think I didn't like the old world crocolisk model... but after taming Algernon I love it now! I just love the blinking eyes so much, it gives them personality and expression. :D
I think I'll try out the basking croc Veph pointed out on Mia... I was thinking about that color but wanted one that stuck out in the wild.
(Mia currently has Mahamba and Goretooth, and will now go get a third... then have a vote or choose or something... x.x)
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_013112_182043.jpg
WoWScrnShot_013112_182043.jpg (243.77 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
WoWScrnShot_013112_182848.jpg
WoWScrnShot_013112_182848.jpg (86.69 KiB) Viewed 3354 times

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Vephriel

GormanGhaste wrote:
Vephriel wrote:Maybe if you were looking for a special croc to try out, he might be the one. :)
Couldn't resist your swampy siren song, Veph. Never had realized how beautiful this one is. He wasn't basking when I got there, so wandered off to look for Dart's Nest and actually netted a hatchling! Patted Deadmire on my way back to the basking spot, which was still unoccupied. So instead I tamed the one near the road to Mudsprocket which is fond of nipping my low-levels in the butt. :) Named him Meander.
D'aww, too bad he wasn't up for you, but I'm glad you found an equally charming croc! :) I guess it might be random if that one croc mob glitches up onto the log. I wonder if it's server specific somehow? I've never checked for him on another realm. He's always there on Nesingwary. xD
starkittens
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: mok'nathal, Runetotem, and a couple others

Unread post by starkittens »

hrmm, I have a white croc who is PVP speced, I want to get another for tanking solo mount run dungeons, what color should I go with?

The burns of a fire may heal with time
but the burns from our love will never heal, even as the years pass on
{My Magistream Keep}{My DA}{My DC scroll}