Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 10: Boars!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 10: Boars!

Unread post by Wassa »

Former threads:
Moths - Warp Stalkers - Crocolisks - Monkeys - Wolves - Core Hounds - Wasps - Dragonhawks - Turtles

Random pet family appreciation thread is where I roll a random pet family every week for everyone to share their pictures, their stories, their love for that pet family. Please no hate or rants. This is an appreciation thread. If you dislike the family, don't post! Hopefully with some love we can get some hunters to try out new pets they never would have thought to tame before.

Our tenth family is the gluttonous boar family!

Boar facts

~Boars have been tameable since Vanilla WoW.

~Boars have two tameable models and 15 different skin colors.

~Boars only have one rare member, which is Grunter.

~Boars have no unique skinned named members.

~However, many boar skins are tameable by one NPCID, they just aren't a single named mob. These skins are boarskinbluearmored, boarskinbrownarmored (ghostly), boarskinivoryarmored, boarskinundead, felboarskinblue, and felboarskingray.

~The felboar models where classified as demons until Cataclysm when they where changed to beasts and made tameable.

~Color changing boars exist in the wild, but they cannot be tamed.

~Back in Wrath, boars were tamed by 1.8% of level 80 hunters. Placing them at number 11 on the list, tied with ravagers. (Source)

~Back in Wrath, boarskinbluearmored was the most tamed skin at 24.3%. Boarskinyellow was the least tamed skin at 3.0%. (Source)

~Gore used to cause damage and that damage was increased if used after Charge. Boars shared this ability with ravagers until the end of BC.

~Jewelcrafters can summon a boar to fight with them with the trinket Figurine - Truesilver Boar.

~One boar has a permanent appearance buff. The Armored Battleboars can remain as BBQ pork, errr... on fire, from the item used with the quest Feed of Evil. These are also the lowest level permanent appearance buff pet in game.

~Boar Spirits are unique ghostly boars. Aggem Thorncurse in Razorfen Kraul summons these boars during combat.

~Lo'shall is an extremely tiny boar added in Cataclysm. He was supposed to be used with the hunter only quest Swine Hunting, to teach hunters to use Track Beasts to find him. However, this quest was removed before Cataclysm went live.
Last edited by Wassa on Sat May 05, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 10: Boars!

Unread post by Rhyela »

AMG, boars! Maybe it's because I love pigs IRL, but I find boars absolutely irresistable. I don't care for the felboars so much, or the undead regular boar, but I love all of the other ones. I think I've had one of every color. I love how they squeal, how they run, and I love their idle animations. I have always loved the boars, regardless of what family ability they did or didn't have, and have used them on almost every hunter I've had. :3

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

I don't have any pictures since this hunter no longer exists, but I have a special boar story.

Before Wassa I had many other hunters that never got to a high level. I had a thrill sneaking into enemy lands at low level to tame unique pets. One character I had was a male troll that went to Elwynn Forest to tame Princess.

Princess back then was the yellow boar skin, and is still my favorite boar skin today. I was saddened to see her changed to a boring grey boar in Cata, but I'm getting off topic here.

After a few deaths I had my Princess. However, I couldn't name her Princess due to being a restricted name (it has the title prince in it) so I renamed her to Empress, which oddly worked. This pet started my heavy role-playing in WoW. I wrote so many short stories about my troll and his boar. Empress wore a brass collar around her neck and was always hungry, digging her snout into the ground. She got frustrated a lot in Durotar since the land was so barren. She was very vocal with grunts and squeals. Many times she outsmarted my simple troll, which pissed him off to no end.

I have since deleted that character. I love boars but I have not found any boar that works with both of my current hunters.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I tamed a yellow boar from the night elf starter zone on my alt. It's cool.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I utterly adore boars even if they don't end up as lasting members of my stables (generally because I rarely play MM). Despite this I think boars are easily some of the cutest creatures in the game due to their animations and sounds.

I did have, for a short period of time, a grey and orange Felboar named Mortimer on Rose. He was eventually dropped for other pets that I thought I needed at the time, but ever since I've returned from my break from WoW, I've been finding myself missing Mortimer. I've cleaned out Rose's stables some since she hit 85 and I think Mortimer may return to fill one of the newly empty slots. :3

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

The fire boar and Grunter are my favorites. <3

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

There was a time, long, long ago when I considered the boar family rather lackluster as far as pets go. I mean, why tame a boring old boar when you could have something much cooler, and quite frankly, better looking running beside your hunter such as a corehound or a warpstalker?

Eventually my mind was changed for the wiser and it was all due to my fellow "hunter-centric" compadres here from the Petopia forums!

Reading all of the posts from hunters about their beloved piggies time and time again helped ignite an interest within me I didn't even know I had! I was already aware that boars made stellar tanks at the time but failed to notice anything remarkable beyond that ... that is, until all of you started chiming in on their endearing personalities and "squee-dorable" idle animations. This had me intrigued! Once the Cataclysm expansion debuted and hunters acquired a total of 20 stable slots in addition to the 5 pets that could accompany them, I sought out this golden opportunity to go and recruit some boars onto my pet roster!

I just had to decide which of my hunters would sync well with a boar ... and in return, which boar would fit-in with my hunter's already strictly themed stables. It was decided that Khau (my Tauren hunter), and Ghiselle (my Dwarf huntress) would be well suited piggy tamers.

Khau's piggy is a Darktusk Boar from Silverpine Forest, now named Tarmac:

and Ghiselle's piggy is none other than the infamous Bellygrub from Redridge Mountains now renamed Bruiser:

This is not the end of my taming story however. It would seem that another boar has wiggled his way into my heartstrings rather recently ... and into the cold, rotting, hollow chest of my corpse huntress Synestra! An ordinary boar just wouldn't do as a Forsaken's pet ... oh heavens no! The boar Synestra has is a special one, he is! With a dark and menacing demeanor just perfect for her stables. The time was right at the ripe level of 67 and a new friendship was quickly formed ...

I introduce to you, Syn's piggy, once a common felboar from Shadowmoon Valley, he is now forever known as Gangrin:
I invented his name from the word "gangrene", which in my opinion, compliments the colors of his hide perfectly!
Last edited by Niabi on Fri May 23, 2014 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

My tanking pet in BC was my plagued boar, Cora. Back then, you had to level your pets, and the level 60 Plagued Swine was the highest level tameable boar in game. The skin is listed as 'undead' on Petopia, but I never thought of her that way, she was just heavily scarred.
Melentari
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Melentari »

I don't have any tamed boars on my hunters, but I do love to watch them do their chin-rub and butt-wiggle. I can watch them for ages.

Melentari and Tevildo - she tamed him a long time ago.

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I love boars! So full of personality and charm. :D

Back in Vanilla I remember finding out about the undead boars in the Plaguelands. They were my first big pet goal. I love pigs, and discovering that there were awesome zombie boars that were tameable was a great moment. They were level 60 at the time, so it seemed a lofty goal to reach. When BC was released and I created Veph I had to start levelling again, but still I had the plagued piggie in my mind.

Though I don't usually go with silly pun names for pets, Frankenswine was a name I couldn't help but go with. I actually gave him a placeholder model, he started off as a black armored boar until I reached the level 60 goal. I remember how amazing boars were back in those days as solo-questing companions. Their aggro capabilities were fierce! Frankie was my prime levelling pet all through the old world.

When I hit level 60 the first thing I did was run up to the farm in the Eastern Plaguelands and tame Frankie's true appearance.

More recently, in Cataclysm, I was almost equally thrilled when the demon boar models became tameable. I've always loved the appearance of the black and green ones in Shadowmoon Valley.

So then I added Igor to my stables, the perfect complement to Frankie. ;)

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

:hug: My Tuska... i know she would fit better if she was black but she always been brown. Before i knew of the armored models and when Tårnfalk was known as Tivli and played on thunderhorn,
Tuska was this model Image but as they both grew in lvl and i transfered realms and such Tuska got a bit tougher and had armor platings on her

Can´t wait to dps with my adoreable little piglet :hug:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

I really like boars. Their animations and sounds are utterly adorable, and I rather like the skin choices as well.

Macaroon is one of my favourite boars both in personality and looks. I really love how Laz and him are sort of reverse colours, she with her green skin and black hair, and he with his black skin and green spikes and hair. These two have been very close ever since she tamed him, and is one of my top five pets for Laz.

This here handsome piggy boy is my great boar love. Garshanga and him have been inseparable since they bonded at level 10. Artaxias is firecely protective of his mistress, and she in turn allows him the full run of her stables, where he is undoubtedly king. I really love the armoured look, though I was surprised by how beautiful this brown version of it is, as I had always thought the black would appeal to me more.
Last edited by Mozag on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Mozag wrote:Hawthorne's skin really appeals to me, this combination of sandy skin and the black spikes made it a perfect decision for Alburga. Hawthorne has a permanent spot in her stables.
I had been thinking about a different boar for my 51 human hunter, but your pic has made me decide to keep an eye out for Grunter in a few levels!
Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

I love boars! They're so lively and animated with a lot of personality.

My boar on Sesamee is Kuuipo. It means sweetheart in Hawaiian. He originally started as a black boar from Durotar because they reminded me of the wild boar that live in the Hawaiian forests. However, while out questing in Shadowmoon Valley on my lock I was drawn to these gorgeous purple and green boars. I just knew that Kuuipo had to morph into one. I didn't even know they used to be demons until I read Veph's post above. Maybe that's why I was so drawn to them on my warlock.

I released Kuuipo a while ago to try out a beetle. I adored the beetle but really started to miss my boar so just recently went back to retame him. It feels right to have him back in my stable.

Leeroy is my boar on my alt, Laiala. I named him that because I have an L themed stable with her and the piggy squeels that boars do reminds me of Leeeeeroy!!!! lol! I tamed the exact same wild mob that Kuuipo started out as. As a sub lvl 20 Alliance toon it was a loong trek to just outside Razor Hill but Leeroy is worth it. He is one of my pets who grew the most in size from a baby to lvl 85. He was so adorable as a tiny baby piggy!

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Oh man.. i dont have any screenshots anymore but my hunter Bloodyrusco has Grunter. He has quite an attitude if you ask me! I named him Boss cause he really does know how to throw his weight around. He's extremely stubborn, out of all my tenacity pets he always seems to be in your face the split second i right click a target to shoot, He can never stand still for the life of him. He's always swinging his head side to side looking for something to terrorize.

Another piggy i have is Bert. Bert is an undead pig on my undead hunter Paudette. Bert loves to shake his butt so he recieved the phrase 'Shake that bacon butt'. Like seriously, its like his pelvis was a 'dance' bone (tried to play off the term 'funny' bone >.>;;). Oh god i cant remember who made the avatar of him anymore ._. i think it was Lupis who made him since her mini random pixel art critters of full bodied mounts and creatures looks the same as Bert's head shot but i really dont know anymore ><. She also has the toxic blue and green boar, namely Dreadtusk i believe, and he's named Felbacon :lol: He seems really lazy. Like, to the point where i cant even stand him anymore. He just derps around like an idiot. I think he has severe brain damage cause he hardly even does his standing emotes.

I havent played Bloodyrusco or Paudette in forever but their boars personalities will always be remembered <3

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I´m in the middle of color coordinating the majority of Kahluas stables -- and in that I tamed a lovely red piggie with black spikes.

Meet Sazerac :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Bump to show how small Lo'Shall really is. When I said he was extremely tiny in my facts page, I meant it. Here he is tamed on MoP beta where pets are currently bugged and keep their wild sizes.

The name I gave him means "short" in Algonquin.

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

SQUEEEEE! Itty bitty piggy committee!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Rower
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Rower »

Wassa wrote:Bump to show how small Lo'Shall really is. When I said he was extremely tiny in my facts page, I meant it. Here he is tamed on MoP beta where pets are currently bugged and keep their wild sizes.

He's cute!
I actually never tamed a boar (maybe back then when we had to do the taming quests? Don't remember) but I find their sounds funny :lol:
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Finally got around to picking up an undead boar, a skin I've loved for a long time. When I tamed him I'd been having a conversation about Prince Zuko from Avatar, and… uh… I now have an undead boar named Zuko.

He's my archaeology buddy! :D (Don't mind the armor. I like to go digging in strange clothing. This is my fishing and archaeology getup.)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!