Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 13: Serpents!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 13: Serpents!

Unread post by Wassa »

Former threads:
Moths - Warp Stalkers - Crocolisks - Monkeys - Wolves - Core Hounds - Wasps - Dragonhawks - Turtles - Boars - Carrion Birds - Bears

Random pet family appreciation thread is where I roll a random pet family every week for everyone to share their pictures, their stories, their love for that pet family. Please no hate or rants. This is an appreciation thread. If you dislike the family, don't post! Hopefully with some love we can get some hunters to try out new pets they never would have thought to tame before.

Our 13th family is the cunning serpent family!
Image from WoW TCG.

Serpent facts

~Serpents became a tameable family in Burning Crusade. Their models have been in the game since Vanilla WoW.

~Serpents have eight different skin colors.

~Serpents have no rare members.

~Serpents have no unique skinned named members. However, serpentskingreen, serpentskinolive, serpentskinruby and serpentskinviolet can only be tamed from one NPCID.

~Back in Wrath, serpents were tamed by 0.7% of level 80 hunters. Placing them at number 17 on the list, tied with crocolisks. (Source)

~Back in Wrath, serpentskinpurple was the most tamed skin at 41.7%. Serpentskingreen was the least tamed skin at 1.1%. (Source)

~Serpents previously had the special ability Poison Spit, which dealt a nature damage DoT and slowed the target's casting speed. Their current special ability, Corrosive Spit, reduces armor instead.

~One minipet matches tameable serpent models. This is the Cobra Hatchling that hatches from the Oracles Mysterious Egg. However, many snake model minipets can be obtained by vendors. These are Albino Snake, Black Kingsnake, Brown Snake, and Crimson Snake.

~Jewelcrafters can summon a ruby serpent from the trinkets Figurine - Ruby Serpent, Figurine - Living Ruby Serpent and Figurine - Crimson Serpent or a green serpent from Figurine - Jeweled Serpent.

~Serpents used to crawl up through the ground when summoned. This animation was recently "fixed" and serpents appear normally when summoned.

~Sunburst Adders hiss when clicked on after taming. These are also the only gem serpent tameable.

~Sand Serpent, which uses the snake model, was tameable in Cataclysm beta for a short while. Oddly, they tamed into the wolf family and not the serpent family.

~The Sandfury Guardians have a very unique history behind them. They were tameable in Vanilla WoW being mislabeled as a wind serpent and also had 1.7 attack speed when 2.0 attack speed was the norm. They became untameable in patch 1.3 and lost the ability to be fed. Back then, an unhappy pet from lack of food could run away from the hunter and be lost forever, so hunters that kept this serpent would only bring them out on special occasions. Later on hunters found a way to keep their serpents happy by taking them into battlegrounds. When you got mass resurrected so did your pet with max happiness. When serpents became an official tameable pet family in BC the Sandfury Guardians joined the family and could be fed again.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 13: Serpents!

Unread post by Lisaara »

I love the serpents! The red and purple ones especially. Taluwen has the red one named Damballa.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I was going to tame the red jewel one never got around to doing it tho :lol:
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Serpents! I… had one. Until I recently abandoned him. I think I may pick him up again, I rather miss Shiver.
I've always been a fan of the dark blue skin, though the brown one is just utterly gorgeous. Actually, I might go get a brown one. xD
I can't wait until I can spec my serpent Ferocity. >.< I dislike Cunning, but I often like serpents more than raptors!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Even though I love snakes, it took me a surprisingly long time to find a serpent I connected with. :)

After trying so many of the colours and having none of them click, I finally decided to try the white model one day. It wasn't a colour I normally thought of, nor did I think it would suit me. I was wrong, however, and was pleased to discover how beautiful that skin was.

It's the only serpent model with a dark stomach, the others all have bellies that are paler than the rest of them. The bright cyan and magenta just looked so lovely against the white, I really liked the icy colour scheme.

I ended up naming him Mana, not for any particular reason really, it just popped into my head and stuck there.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Vephriel i sooo love your outfit which match your pets ^^

Serpents are lovely and i had a whole bunch on both Tårnfalk and Kahlua though i havent found anyone who i really bonded with - but they are adorable :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Rower
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Rower »

Serpents are so underrated! I have my Cobrazz, a green serpent from Sunken temple (love his Naga-look)! It's my main non-exotic cunning pet. ^^
Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Baeglum

Unread post by Dakonic »

I originally only planned on having 6 main pets on my worgen.... buuuuuuut this is making me miss my old Serpent. Looks like it'll be 7 instead :p
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Dakonic
Formally known as "celestial88"
Image Image Image Image
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

It wasn't until Cataclysm that I tamed my very first serpent, although my appreciation for them started long, long ago.

Some of you may remember Mania's Arcania, a sort of predecessor to the Petopia Forums we know today. One sect of columns were appropriately titled "Name That Pet" and would feature pics of hunters with their new companions along with a brief story of how they came to be together. An Orc huntress by the name of Kerub had just tamed herself a gorgeous serpent and needed help finding the perfect name for him (http://www.maniasarcania.com/2008/06/16 ... s-serpent/). The combination of story and pic had me instantly attracted to the species. It took me a long time to find the right hunter to pair with such a creature but when it was done, I was quite pleased with the result!

Synestra and her cobra make for a perfect duo and have since inspired me to acquire another serpent for my Troll huntress Kadija.

Synestra's cobra, Satanas
*Edit 9/17/12: Satanas has transferred over to Drakara's family and has been renamed Xerxes.

Kadija's cobra, Caipirinha
Last edited by Niabi on Thu May 22, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Like Veph I am a huge fan of snakes in real life, but was unable to warm to the models in game. I considered them a little silly looking, and wondered why we couldn't have the flat, normal looking models instead. I just could not get attached to any serpent, no matter how many times I tried. Until...

Cataclysm. A Goblin. A new skin. Jewel bright, eye-catching, somehow special. I knew I had to tame her as soon as I reached appropriate level, and so I did. Coral and Lazuli have been inseparable ever since. At one stage I never had any other pet out, even though I would usually prefer a raptor for the same skill. The appreciation I have for this skin awoke me to the possibility of the others. And I have not been disappointed.

I really enjoy questing with Mithridates in places where I feel both he and Garshanga don't fit, such as Northrend. Two exiles from choking sands of Durotar, working together, protecting each other. These two were meant to be together.

Directly opposite to my other Nelf, Lindy here has always loved "creepy crawlies" and vastly prefers the company of more unusual pets to those that are more commonly favoured by her kind. Gabilgathol was tamed in the Wailing Caverns, saved from an over-enthusiastic tank who didn't listen to the voice of reason until the last minute, the two have been inseparable since. It is not my favourite skin, but he is my favourite serpent. I think these two look gorgeous together, and RP wise they have a very deep understanding.

Mozag has had a problematic relationship with snakes. While I feel that a Troll and a serpent go together like peanut butter and chocolate, I just never found the right one for her. I have tamed and retamed several different skins, and this same blue one on many occasions. Nothing stuck. I'm trying again, and it's working a bit better, as I have changed her stable theme somewhat. The serpent is named Delirium, from The Sandman comics, and I feel more attached to her than to any previous serpent incumbents.
Last edited by Mozag on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I may have to give these guys another try. I just can't help but be creeped out by their faces, but maybe I just haven't found the right one yet.

Edit: Okay, I went out and grabbed a couple. I got the bright green one from Thousand Needles, and the teal one from Sunken Temple because those were the two I liked most from Petopia's pics. I decided I liked the green one best (big surprise there). But not only was it the color I preferred, but the eyes as well. I don't like the light eyes on all the other models, and this one has really neat dark-red eyes that almost look black.

I named it Rey, which is Spanish for "king" (since they remind me of king cobras), and abandoned the teal one. However, not long after as I was flying through Hyjal, the phrase "king's ransom" popped into my mind, and I liked the name "Ransom" better, so I had my druid make a certificate of ownership and I changed it. :) When names like that just come up in my mind all of a sudden, it's best if I just go ahead and change it because it'll gnaw at me if I don't. :lol:

I do like this one well enough to keep for now. I don't love him yet, but I don't hate him either. Perhaps with time, I'll grow fonder of him. :) Changing the name really helped, though. It feels...right.

Attachments
Rhyela and Ransom from Behind.jpg
Rhyela and Ransom from Behind.jpg (579.66 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
Rhyela and Ransom.jpg
Rhyela and Ransom.jpg (665.74 KiB) Viewed 3225 times

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Karin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bad Ash Realms

Unread post by Karin »

I've always wanted to tame any of these cobras. I used to have the ruby one to see if I'll like it but I ended up sticking with the cobra from ST. If there was a sapphire-coated cobra, you bet I'll go for that. I don't plan on keeping snakes as a pet in real life, but it's nice to get something that looks ferocious. However, I do wish those cuter pythons from WC can be tamed, too.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I *love* the serpent family and tend to find that I like them more than their raptor counter parts, especially as they are far less common, although I do occasionally have trouble matching a serpent to a hunter.

Currently I own two serpents between my frequently used hunters. My first and most commonly used one is Datura.
I knew after making Tsara and getting her to Wailing Caverns level that I had to have one of these beautiful white snakes from there because the colors would match perfectly. Plus, the white serpent has always been one of my favorite serpent colors (and one of my screenshots for the WC version made it on their Wowhead page :P). Anyway, for a hunter who's very into dangerous herbs and chemicals, Datura just naturally fits right into Tsara's stable theme and I love taking him out and about.

My much less used serpent is with my worgen hunter, Ruffley, and her name is Nagaina.
Nagaina and Ruffley have not developed the strongest bond after I faction changed Ruffley from an orc to a worgen. I have kept this gal around because I find her colors to be absolutely amazing, but since Ruffley is primarily BM, I have found little use for Nagaina's special ability and she has since faded into the shadows. :( I've wanted this skin and the bright green skin to be tamable since Wrath so I'm hoping to rekindle my bond with Nagaina for if/when I play Ruffley.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

My favorite serpent is Luger from my alt's stable. I've toyed with the idea of stealing him for my main's stable and I may just do that come MoP when I can respec him ferocity and bring him to raids. I think the fact that serpents are so active when idle gives them a lot of personality. I'm also fascinated with snakes IRL. They are gorgeous and so essential to the environment. The only thing that keeps me from having one as a real life pet is that most of them have to eat rats and mice and having kept pet rats, no way I could do that.

Volos is in my main's Rotating Stable. His wild counterpart, Venomtip, reigns over his little patch of Scholazar Basin and I love him just as much in the wild as I do in my stable. Every so often though I'll miss him and send one of my easier to acquire pets on a mini vacation while I hang out with Volos for a bit. I use my raptor, Apple, for a few Heroic DS fights but now that we have them on farm I'm going to see if I can sub in Volos since they bring the same armor debuff. The difference in their dps shouldn't be that drastic for a farm fight.

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Sesamee wrote:The only thing that keeps me from having one as a real life pet is that most of them have to eat rats and mice and having kept pet rats, no way I could do that.
Off-topic, but if you really want a snake and that is the only thing keeping you from getting one, I should mention that just about any reputable corn snake breeder will raise their hatchlings on frozen mice. That's what I give to mine. I dump a couple frozen mice in a plastic sandwich bag, hold it between my hands or legs until it thaws, and then put them in his tank. You don't even need to wiggle them around or anything. Usually once they're trained on frozen mice, they stick with them. :) Snakes are great pets!!! And I have kept pet rats, too!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

Rhyela wrote:
Sesamee wrote:The only thing that keeps me from having one as a real life pet is that most of them have to eat rats and mice and having kept pet rats, no way I could do that.
Off-topic, but if you really want a snake and that is the only thing keeping you from getting one, I should mention that just about any reputable corn snake breeder will raise their hatchlings on frozen mice. That's what I give to mine. I dump a couple frozen mice in a plastic sandwich bag, hold it between my hands or legs until it thaws, and then put them in his tank. You don't even need to wiggle them around or anything. Usually once they're trained on frozen mice, they stick with them. :) Snakes are great pets!!! And I have kept pet rats, too!
Oh yes, I was referring to frozen. I could never ever feed live prey. That is just too inhumane and I don't buy the "natural" argument. I have no problem with rats and mice being used as food if they are killed humanely beforehand...they are prey animals after all...but I don't think I could even feed frozen myself, lol. I would like to have a snake one day though. Maybe I'll get over the aversion eventually.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

After seeing all the lovely photos here i desided to give serpents another chance and tamed one :D Meet Cabilis.

He is named after a city in Everquest. Cabilis is the home of the iksar which is a dragon race and i though the scaley theme fitted the serpent well.

I havent warmed up to him yet but for now he can stay :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

He goes with your new teal transmog theme quite well! :)

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Sarahma has a serpent, his name is Finnian!

Basically... he's a very lazy snake! :lol: He absolutely loves to sun himself and would do that all day if he could. *giggle* He hates being cold, so if I go somewhere a bit nippy, I have to dismiss him. :P

So sometimes Sarahma takes him to a hot desert just for a sun outing. <3 No need to be fighting baddies all day!

Attachments
Finnian1.png
Finnian1.png (360.08 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
Finnian2.png
Finnian2.png (517.65 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
Finnian3.png
Finnian3.png (572.07 KiB) Viewed 3225 times

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

For a while serpents would up my dps if the debuff they gave wasn't already covered, so I spent a lot of time with mine. In wrath I was using the deviant skin one, but since cata I've greatly enjoyed my Sunbeam.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]