Sick Of Pet HP Bug

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Sick Of Pet HP Bug

Unread post by Acherontia »

I'm roaringly sick of the pet HP scaling bug. I'm a PvPer, mainly, and switching pet, using HotP or dropping down from a flyer to fight = dead pet half the time, and it's utterly infuriating.

If you're a PvEer, or unaware of the bug--pet base HP is ~6k, and the pet scales to your stamina about 5 secs after being summoned. If you drop into combat from a flyer or switch pet, and someone sees it, they can AoE (the 90% reduction does NOT apply to PvP) or switch to and one-shot your pet. And they do this, and I'm completely sick of it. Blizz has known about this bug for years; it's supposedly a big factor in why pets were allowed to run alongside mounts again. That's a nice jury rig, but it does not fix the problem.

I made a post about it here, on the EU forums.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3686611808#1

If you're also sick of this bug, feel free to comment, or repost on the US forums if you are a US player.

Angry orc out.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: Sick Of Pet HP Bug

Update: two replies said that 1. it's fixed in MoP and 2. it is a "bug" deliberately implemented to prevent some mysterious exploit.

I can't tell you how pissed off I'll be if I find out they deliberately introduced a potentially crippling bug to legit players just to stop exploiters. There has to be a better way to do things than that.

Anyway, can anyone who has MoP Beta access confirm/deny? I'll ask in the Beta section too, actually...

Update 2:

Apparently, the Pet HP scaling bug which has plagued the hunter class for years was DELIBERATELY IMPLEMENTED in order to circumvent some kind of unnamed exploit. I'm absolutely infuriated that what I thought for years was a bug, and which caused me no end of in-game deaths and immense frustration, was a sloppy "fix." Legit players should not be punished when exploiters hit. This on top of "hitting objects while jumping = DC" and "bots in ALL TEH BATTLEGROUNDZ" has me just about fed up with WoW right now. "The bug was actually a fix," talk about insult to injury...

In any case, one of the forum MVPs has said that the bug IS fixed in MoP, confirmed on Beta. Feel free to check yourselves, since results always vary!
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Oh man, that is a terribly unsuccessful band-aid. :/ That's disappointing to learn, although thankfully, if it's being "fixed" in MoP, that's a good sign. But still, wow, that is a slap in the face.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Here is the exploit I could find about this.

Back in BC you could train your pet with 5/5 endurance training, reset talents, train endurance training again, reset, repeat over and over and pets could have something crazy like 200 million HP and keep this even after dismissing them. Looks like this "pet hp scaling bug" was implemented to wipe any additions to HP/stats, and it's just persisted until now even though I'm sure you cannot do this anymore.

I remember using a macro to rez my pet with full health but Blizzard also fixed that. It was

Code: Select all

/cast Revive Pet
/cancelaura Revive Pet
You had to spam it but it got rid of that "lag" which looks like there might have been an invisible buff on pets to keep them at default stats shortly after rezzing.[/color]

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I don't know why they wouldn't have just made the default HP higher & changed the scaling to match, then : /

As Kalliope says, it really feels like a slap in the face. Thanks for the info though, Wassa--I was genuinely curious as to what was so bad that they had to introduce a bug to fix it :lol:
Last edited by Acherontia on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

<----notVeph ;)

<3 Ach :)

Agreed that that would have been a better solution, though.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Araela »

Wow! That's horrendous! It's been driving me nuts for years too - I couldn't understand why it hadn't been fixed yet, despite the MULTIPLE CONVERSATIONS I had with SEVERAL GMs about it! Rawr! Insert angry face here!
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Oh wow, I agree with NotVeph, that's awful it's a supposed "feature"!
Even though I rarely did PvP, that pet health bug got me killed more than once! Good to hear it's finally getting fixed though. Only took them a full expansion cycle :roll:
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

What the hell kind of band-aid was that and who was the genius to think it up? *Growls* That is a slap in the face and it got my butt served on a silver platter more than once.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

Really? Really?

...REALLY?! Blizzard, you led onto believe the bug was well... a bug. Then you reveal when you're finally going to fix it that you deliberately put this in a while ago and didn't bother to fix it even when the exploit was gone? Seriously Blizz. I expected better from you.

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

I agree with all others here. I HATE this bug. I mainly pvp on different hunters (2 decently geared and 2 others) and it happens to me mostly while doing Strand of the Ancients. You drive a demolisher, it gets destroied and your pet is dead because any aoe hit it before it was properly spawned. I started dismissing my pets before hopping into a demolisher so I can call it a few seconds after said "car" is destroied and it might not die the instant I call it. Still annoying as hell if you forget it.

edit: a blue answer appeared:

Nephadne
Customer Service

Greetings Acherontia,

The information some of our helpful regular posters have provided in this thread is quite correct and, for a while, the issue actually wasn’t technically regarded as a bug (being the only way in which it was possible to prevent exploitation of <snip> pet <snip> repeatedly to <snip> your <snip> back to <snip snip>).

With the next expansion, however, our development team has been able to effectively “revamp” the pet system so that the above “exploit” was no longer possible, and so the annoyance you describe here should hopefully also disappear as a result.

Apologies for any annoyance it may have been causing you in the meantime, but I hope that the above explanation goes some way towards clarifying both why things are the way they are currently and why it wasn’t simply a matter of patching in a fix. :)

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

ooooo yay. I dont know about you guys but though it did suck in pvp it also sucked when you get dismounted by a mob then have 4 mobs attack you and your pet gets one shotted, then you just hope you can kite well enough.. That is so not fun.. glad they are fixing this though! Its about time, I dont know how many times ive been so frustrated with it..

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I've got to be honest, I love that this is fixed for everyone who hated it, but I've never experienced it at all. I guess I'm lucky that way? But I'm glad others will be free of the 'bug-andage' as well.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I never experienced it much either Gim. I'm happy it's going to be fixed! It just never really occurred to me as an issue since I hardly saw it happen.
Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

Acherontia wrote:I don't know why they wouldn't have just made the default HP higher & changed the scaling to match, then : /
This is what I'm thinking. It seems their "solution" doesn't even match the problem. Maybe I'm missing something here. :/

I don't even try to switch pets in an Arena match, that's just asking for a dead pet. And the resulting eight second res pet timer. An almost guaranteed loss. On HM spine this "bug" was a pain as I had to summon and dismiss pets quite a bit. Had lots of dead pets. Heroic Madness too although not to as great a degree.
Morven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Morven »

What it sounds like is that this change was put in as a quick band-aid to block an exploit and then nobody ever went back and fixed the issue properly. A bad oversight, made worse by the fact that this code hasn't been worked on in a long while so it never got fixed in the process of a rewrite. I've heard tell that some parts of the game code base are horrendously bad and the developers don't like to touch them lest they introduce worse bugs, which I can well believe.

It never bit me that hard because as MM I'm not that dependent on pet choice and I near-as-dammit never switch pets in a battleground. I don't arena, so far anyway.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Doh, sorry Kalliope. I honestly read Vephriel, musta been tired :X

Anyway, by the GM conversation, from what I can tell it was a way to prevent hunters from dismissing/resummoning to reset pet HP to full.

They should have just coded the game to remember the pet's last HP setting. Why they didn't, I have no idea. Sloppy fix, and I'm immensely disappointed in the dev choice to "fix" it this way, but at least this GM finally, FINALLY gave us a legit response, namely that it was a "fix" and not a bug.

I am aggravated that they chose to torture us with the bug as a response rather than properly coding it, though. I must say I've lost a bit of faith for this, though. Makes me wonder if all the damn latency issues (cooldowns being used when the ability itself does not go through) are deliberate, too.
Morven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Morven »

I doubt it was intended at the time for this to be the all-time fix, it sounds way hacky. A quick rush-job that never got replaced by a good one.