Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 24: Bats!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 24: Bats!

Unread post by Wassa »

Former threads:
Moths - Warp Stalkers - Crocolisks - Monkeys - Wolves - Core Hounds - Wasps - Dragonhawks - Turtles - Boars - Carrion Birds - Bears - Serpents - Tallstriders - Worms - Dogs - Ravagers - Shale Spiders - Sporebats - Spirit Beasts - Birds of Prey - Scorpids - Chimaeras

Random pet family appreciation thread is where I roll a random pet family every week for everyone to share their pictures, their stories, their love for that pet family. Please no hate or rants. This is an appreciation thread. If you dislike the family, don't post! Hopefully with some love we can get some hunters to try out new pets they never would have thought to tame before.

Our 24th family is the shrieking bat family!

Image from WoW TCG.

Bat facts

~Bats have been tameable since Vanilla WoW.

~Bats have four skin colors.

~Bats have three rare members, but only two are tameable. These are Blind Hunter and Ressan the Needler. Shadikith the Glider is still untameable at this time.

~Back in Wrath, bats were tamed by 0.3% of level 80 hunters. Placing them near the bottom at number 20 on the list, tied with moths. (Source)

~Back in Wrath, batskinbrown was the most tamed skin at 36.6%. Batskin (grey) was the least tamed skin at 11.0%. (Source)

~Bats had the ability Screech, which did damage to the target and had an aoe melee attack lowering effect. This was great for aoe farming before thunderstomp was basic for all tenacity pets. Bats shared this ability with carrion birds and owls (now renamed to birds of prey).

~Two minipet bats are Tirisfal Batling (using batskinbrown) and Vampiric Batling (using batskinviolet). Vampiric Batling is no longer available in game. It dropped from Prince Tenris Mirkblood, a special boss in Karazhan only available during the Scourge Invasion, the Wrath of the Lich King opening event which ran from October 22nd to November 4th 2008. Those players that got this minipet have the Feat of Strength Vampire Hunter.

~Players can turn others into bats if they have any Hallowed Wand - Bat left over from Hallow's End.

~Before Cataclysm all bat skins had green eyes. While batskin (grey) eye color did not change, the other three skins did.

~Duskbats squeak when clicked on, even after taming.

~Blood Seeker is a "semi-rare" spawn, meaning he spawns rarely but does not have a silver dragon around its portrait. Formerly a miniboss in Shadowfang Keep, he now resides in Deepholm and shares spawn points and timer with Aeonaxx, exactly to how Vyragosa shares spawn points and timer with the more rarer Time-Lost Proto Drake. Blood Seeker spawns high off the ground and only stays up a few seconds before disappearing, which makes taming him almost impossible. He was tameable before Cataclysm, so a hunter could still have him tamed. However it was unknown that he was going to move to Deepholm and become one of the biggest trolls for rare mount campers, so no one was able to tame him beforehand knowing they could use him to grief players.

~Bloodseeker Bats in Zul'Gurub had 1.0 attack speed in Vanilla. This was the fastest attack speed a tamed pet could have which was great for caster push-back in PvP and for procing the old Spirit Bond (gained health every time the pet hit). Broken Tooth was the only other pet that shared this attack speed. Bloodseeker Bat was preferred in PvP by some players over Broken Tooth due to its annoyingly large wingspan to block targeting.
Last edited by Wassa on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 24: Bats!

Unread post by Wassa »

Ressan the Needler is the pet that I tame over and over again on my hunters. I love this white bat.

He started out as Ghostwing on my elder Tauren hunter back in Vanilla. I was in a heavy role-playing guild and Ghostwing was her main companion. My hunter was nearly blind. Ghostwing helped her get around with his echolocation. She would often joke "I'm not as blind as a bat! My bat can see better than me!"

Since then Ressan has been retamed and renamed on other hunters. The names Ressan has had on my hunters are Anahera (Maori - "angel"), Waiata (Maori - "song"), Yakez (Carrier - "heaven; paradise in the sky; song from the sky") and Suwanee (Seminole - "echo"). Ghostwing and Yakez where males while the other three were females. I like to give him graceful names that show how beautiful his pale white skin is. To me he is an angel from the sky.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Kyria
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord & Nesingwary

Unread post by Kyria »

Astrophel is one of my precious top five pets. I couldn't tell you why I found such a bond with him. He didn't do anything particularly special as a wild mob, and his tame was unremarkable. Nevertheless, I wouldn't trade him in for any other. He's a Duskbat, a noisy little fellow, and he's got an odd fondness for clinging to Kyria's face and licking affectionately like a dog. I always imagine her toting him around on her shoulders while he curiously shrieks at random passerby and chews on her hair. Back when I had a pet Vale Moth, Somnus, he was constantly emoting his desire to eat him by snapping moths out of the air any time they were both in my active pet slots. I'll be curious to see how he reacts to it when Somnus returns in the form of a minipet come MoP. :lol:

Thanks to Vephriel for the beautiful signature! <3
Dragon Cave!

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I have a brown bat named Bram on my Worgen alt :)
Mozag
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Edited along with all my other posts in these threads due to problems with the picture links as well as the fact that I don't have most of these hunters or pets anymore.
Last edited by Mozag on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

My only bat love at the moment is Synestra's Noxious Plaguebat named Azrael.

His tame almost didn't happen, mostly due to me being more attracted to the rarer white-skinned bats such as Ressan the Needler. I knew deep down though it wasn't necessarily a matter of what I liked but rather which of the bats would fit in better with Syn and her other pets. I also had his name picked out ahead of time, and in my mind, the white-skinned bats have always been perceived as female. Among the other three skins left to choose from, the black-skinned bat was the one to win out and steal both Syn's and my heart!

I must admit, I've been slacking in my pet development practices and haven't yet determined Azrael's full personality just yet. I do imagine him to be quite mellow compared to Synestra's other pets as far as temperment is concerned. I also imagine that his favorite snack to eat is roasted roaches and fungus kabobs that Synestra makes especially just for him.
Last edited by Niabi on Fri May 23, 2014 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Mia has a Duskbat! :D My favorite skin is the brown, and I just couldn't resist the little squeaks! ^.^
His name is Keeran, which means Little Dark One. He's very loveable and friendly. :3
It's funny, I tried and tried and tried to bond with a wasp, but it just never worked, so one day it hit me... Why don't I get a bat? XD So I went out, tamed a Duskbat, and it clicked! :hug:

Attachments
Keeran1.png
Keeran1.png (531.6 KiB) Viewed 2112 times

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr