Appearance Buff Pets still exit

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
asianwowhunter

Appearance Buff Pets still exit

Unread post by asianwowhunter »

just see this picture from asian wow
Attachments
未命名.jpg
未命名.jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Re: Appearance Buff Pets still exit

Unread post by Kurasu »

Unfortunately, as I can't spea kthe language, I don't know what it says or what's going on in the picture. Nor can I see an appearance pet in the image.

Can you explain what's going on here? What is the buff/debuff that is being shown?
Come see Kurasu's stables!
asianwowhunter

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=64982
u can check this buff by its id: 127500
like oil wolf
Last edited by asianwowhunter on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asianwowhunter

the buff is :Reduce damage by 50%
asianwowhunter

Dewclaw
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

If it reduces damage by half, that's not an appearance buff. Appearance buffs don't affect game play or give advantages, they just alter appearances. Buffs that should not persist through taming and that give unfair advantage such as extra damage or damage reduction can earn you a ban.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

I think what he's trying to say is that the method for capturing appearance buffed pets is still in-game somehow. The pet shown is from pandaria, put in the game long after the methods had been fixed. This person in the SS obviously is abusing whatever system to get a damage-buffed pet, but the method should in theory be able to be used to get appearance-buffed pets.

Which is terrifying, if someone managed to tame Ankha or Magria with THEIR damage buff.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

You know, what I don't get is why Blizzard just doesn't leave in 'appearance-modified' pets in the first place, so people don't feel obligated to claw at every possible exploit just to try and get a pet that looks different? It's not a code issue, since people have been using oily wolves or burning pigs or whatever without any real problems. What harm does it do to have a 'sha-touched' tiger when we already have shiny metallic ones in a permanent case of stun-stagger?

In many cases, the appearance isn't even a 'buff/debuff', like the shadow owls in Jade Forest, which as memory serves don't show a buff but nonetheless lose their shadowform when tamed? Personally, I think it'd be a lot easier to weed out the genuine exploits (such as the buff above) if they were separated from appearance changes anyway; the cosmetic effects really have no connection in the code to the game mechanics, as evidenced by the many kinds of both that don't require the other. (buffs with no appearance change, like Ankha, or appearance changes with no combat effect, such as the oil wolf or Lone Hunter's sword)

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Given that there's no info on how to do this, I'll leave the topic up, but it has been reported to Blizzard in case there's a loophole they need to close.

Nachtwulf wrote:You know, what I don't get is why Blizzard just doesn't leave in 'appearance-modified' pets in the first place, so people don't feel obligated to claw at every possible exploit just to try and get a pet that looks different? It's not a code issue, since people have been using oily wolves or burning pigs or whatever without any real problems. What harm does it do to have a 'sha-touched' tiger when we already have shiny metallic ones in a permanent case of stun-stagger?
In many cases, the appearance isn't even a 'buff/debuff', like the shadow owls in Jade Forest, which as memory serves don't show a buff but nonetheless lose their shadowform when tamed? Personally, I think it'd be a lot easier to weed out the genuine exploits (such as the buff above) if they were separated from appearance changes anyway; the cosmetic effects really have no connection in the code to the game mechanics, as evidenced by the many kinds of both that don't require the other. (buffs with no appearance change, like Ankha, or appearance changes with no combat effect, such as the oil wolf or Lone Hunter's sword)
I think it's more a matter that they need a general solution to ensure every buff is removed or the problem can resurface. Many of them are harmless appearance buffs, but the next one could be a damage or defense buff. So unless they have a general solution that removes all buffs upon taming then they'll have to keep stamping these things out individually, every time.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Baihu
Realm: Barthilas; Ner'zul

Unread post by Baihu »

Sorry, forgive my ignorance, I stopped playing somewhere in the middle of Cata's raiding progress, when the Firelands raids were about two weeks into release.

I remember Blizz put in a patch for the appearance-buffed pets before that to make them near impossible to tame (but still possible). I had a Oil-covered wolf before that happened; however I remember getting the ghost wolf with the sword in the head after that patch, and also I think the infected bears with the purple cloud around them.

Did Blizz further patch this after this patch?

Edit: Just saw this: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17487

So apparently all the pets I just mentioned are no longer obtainable. Ah, I see.
Watcher
Realm: Ravencrest

Unread post by Watcher »

It's an quest item that i had there in that zone http://www.wowhead.com/spell=127811 to make leveling easier. Notice where the picture is also taken. It's from dreadwastes so sorry hunters you can't tame it with the buff
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Watcher wrote:It's an quest item that i had there in that zone http://www.wowhead.com/spell=127811 to make leveling easier. Notice where the picture is also taken. It's from dreadwastes so sorry hunters you can't tame it with the buff
Oooh, thanks for coming here to clear that up!

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!