EDIT: Taming Buff Pets in 5.1 FIXED

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Shoopdawhoop
Realm: Crushridge-US

EDIT: Taming Buff Pets in 5.1 FIXED

Unread post by Shoopdawhoop »

As of 01/15/13 (5.1), it is NOT POSSIBLE to tame buff pets :(

I will keep info in this post in tact as to preserve its special place in pet history...R.I.P. buff pets ;~;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING: This has a severe potential for abuse, as with any buffed-pet taming method. Taming buff-pets is not an intended part of the game; Should you choose to, you do so at your own risk! Please do not abuse this! We would like to keep this method alive as long as possible.

Well my friend Peach and I were perusing the forums when we found a thread that said taming Sha-infested pets was possible. With some suggestions from the people in that thread, as well as through our own trial and error we found that not only was it possible to tame Sha-infested pets, but also possible to tame most, if not ALL, of the old buff pets.

How to:
This method relies heavily on the old tame-kill-revive method, with a new approach. Pets can be tamed very quickly, often on the first try if you're good enough, using this method.

Requirements:
A person to help (this is the most important part)
Low World Latency
Free time!

Method:
1. Find the pet you wish to tame with a buff (invisible buffs such as Sha-aura effect or collars will work as well).

2. Bring a friend and start a duel. This is very helpful; I have yet to tame a buff-pet while not in a duel.*

3. Have whoever is taming the pet lower the mobs health down to about 1-15%, or until you can 1 hit K.O. the mob. (If you're lvl 90 taming a level 10 of course don't worry about it).

4. When the mob is ready, stop attacking and begin to tame it while your friend stands on top of the mob.

5. Start spamming this macro while you tame: /cast [nochanneling] Revive Pet (Spam like crazy! AHK can help, but I recommend binding this to your scroll wheel as it will work just as well and doesn't break the ToS).**

6. JUST as your tame beast is about to finish, have your friend one-shot the mob (We found 0.3 seconds left on the cast was optimal, with some mobs leaning more towards 0.2. Playing around with the time helps if you're having no luck).

7. Keep spamming your Revive pet macro as the mob dies. If your tame was successful, this is what will happen:

-The mob will die and its corpse will despawn.
-You WILL NOT see a level-ding flash. If you do then it did not work. (If the mob is your level you will not see one regardless, so you can ignore this part in that case.)
-You will get the error message "Your Pet is not dead" from spamming your revive pet macro.
-You will not have a new pet in your slots or your stable.
-You WILL NOT be able to revive your pet.
NOTE: All of these must happen concurrently; having one of the errors but not the rest means it did not work, i.e. "My pet did not ding and disappeared, but I ressed him and he didn't have the buff!" Because he should also not be ressable.

8. If everything happened as it should, all you need to do it log out and in and POOF! Summon him from your slots and have fun with your new buff-pet!

*The reason for this is to bypass the mob becoming friendly too soon. When you tame the pet, it will stay red for your friend meaning you never have to worry about not being able to attack it. This also means this method will not work in areas where you cannot duel unless you get help from a flagged member of the opposing faction.

**The macro doesn't really do anything except prevent Revive Pet from interrupting Tame Beast. Sometimes Revive Pet will cause your Tame Beast to stop channeling and we think it has something to do with having a glitched pet in your slots, but regardless this macro will make it so you never have to worry about it.

Known Pets this works for:
Ambescale Basilisk* (South of Heart of Fear)
Coldbite Matriarch*
Consumed Thistle Bear
Duskstalker
Felscale Crawler
Ghostpaw Runner
Grainhunter Hawk
Ik'thik Terrorclaw*
Kung Din
The Lone Hunter
Oiled Fledgeling
Oil-stained Wolf
Seething Fleshripper
Sha-Haunted Tigress
Sha-Haunted Crane
Sha-Infested Prowler
Old Azeroth Buff Pets in general
Make sure to check this thread. As new buff pets are discovered, this list will likely not contain them right away. If there is a buff pet you have found and it is not on this list nor has been posted by someone else already, please make a post about it.

*These are the only sha creatures that appear to keep their buff upon death.

NOTE: I cannot confirm if this works solo. Many are trying but the only ones who are having success are the ones using the method above. If anyone would like me to help them, you can add me: US-Horde Battletag Shoopy#1307

Thanks & Credits:
Asajiro for posting the original thread.
Peach for helping me tame everything.
Dialga for helping me tame Kung Din.
Everyone in this thread for helping Peach and I: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19895
Good luck and happy hunting! :D

~Screenshots for Motivation~
Last edited by Shoopdawhoop on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Rainx

Re: Taming Buff Pets in 5.1 --Guide--

Unread post by Rainx »

All this is sux and useless, as pets if they die are removed the buff (Sha-Infested Prowler) I got it, mine it to prove suicide and left him.

Luckily I still possess the pig on fire, that if it's worth and the wolf in oil
Twila
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn, Silver Hand

Unread post by Twila »

It is not useless.
Yes many of them do lose their buff on death, but many still don''t.

A key to sorting out what ones do and don't is if you kill the beast in the wild and the effect vanishes and turns it normal, then the buff will be lost on death as thats just how it is programed to happen.

If you kill the beast and the buff remains on them when dead, an example being the oil wolves/hawks/Kung and his chain collar, then you have no worry about the effect vanishing on death.

So this is not the sux.

Amisha - lv 100 Tauren Hunter - Silver Hand:US - Pet Stable
Twilatsuki - lv 95 Night Elf Hunter - Argent Dawn:US - Pet Stable

Battle Pet Collection

Rarehunter1
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Rarehunter1 »

Oh gosh. Thank you for this! You have made my Christmas much more awesome! If you don't recall, I was OBSESSED with taming these kinds of pets back in the day, and even made a long, sad post about when we thought they were no longer possible to obtain... Hehe, seeing that it's a sticky, but no longer relevant, someone should delete iT! XD

For those who put the time and effort into perfecting this method THANK YOU! This is truly amazing to be able to tame these thought-to-be retired pets again! Unfortunately, as with every new method we find, this will inevitably be nerfed. Whenever it will happen is a mystery in itself, but hopefully it will be after I have tamed every pet I desire this way lol. Good luck everyone with your new shinies!

And MERRY CHRISTMAS! :mrgreen:
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Thank you so much for consolidating all the information into one thread! Just add a link to the original thread and a warning not to tame any pets that have a gameplay-altering buff and it'll be a complete resource. :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Torachi »

Thank you for all of your hard work! You guys are all amazing, and because of it, I now have my very first appearance buff pet!

Merry Christmas from me, my fiance Inxis, and Inkybutt the sha-kitty! <3

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Ragnarök
Realm: Sargeras-A/Wildhammer-H

Unread post by Ragnarök »

So i downloaded the addon that shows time left on tame beast and my bro uses hammer of wrath at 0.5 sec 8/10 times we get it to die when he becomes green but he always dies just a tad after we see the unfortunate ding. Any earlier and it dies while red anything Im doing wrong?
Phyra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Phyra »

I'll be adding you on my ID. Would love help with these! :D
Shoopdawhoop

Ragnarök wrote:So i downloaded the addon that shows time left on tame beast and my bro uses hammer of wrath at 0.5 sec 8/10 times we get it to die when he becomes green but he always dies just a tad after we see the unfortunate ding. Any earlier and it dies while red anything Im doing wrong?
You're in a duel right? The pet should be staying red always if you're in a duel. Also, make sure you have low world latency as that can cause issues/make it impossible to do this successfully. Try killing closer to 0.3 seconds, too. It takes a while to get used to, but its easier when you've done it and you know what to look for. You'll get it eventually! ;)
Ragnarök

Shoopdawhoop wrote:
Ragnarök wrote:So i downloaded the addon that shows time left on tame beast and my bro uses hammer of wrath at 0.5 sec 8/10 times we get it to die when he becomes green but he always dies just a tad after we see the unfortunate ding. Any earlier and it dies while red anything Im doing wrong?
You're in a duel right? The pet should be staying red always if you're in a duel. Also, make sure you have low world latency as that can cause issues/make it impossible to do this successfully. Try killing closer to 0.3 seconds, too. It takes a while to get used to, but its easier when you've done it and you know what to look for. You'll get it eventually! ;)
Yea Im in a duel alright by green I mean when the pet turns from hostile to green when it is tamed on my screen. I have about 40 world latency on my PC. My brother has tried 0.3 but he claims it becomes too late as the pet soaks up the damage when it hits the ding and refreshes to full HP. He looks on my screen and hits 0.5 since there are small amounts of lag if he watches my tame bar on the focus bar on his own screen. Even at 0.5 seconds it kills the pet after it receives the ding and I set my revive on my scroll wheel so it isnt my fault at a delayed revive either. Any earlier like 0.6 and the pet becomes loot. Ive asked him to try 0.55secs but it seems to be too hard for him to do. What i dont understand is how you can get it at 0.3 because on my screen it resets its HP from the ding and eats the damage.
Poearia
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank

Unread post by Poearia »

Sent u a friend request Shoop - I rly need help with Kung ): Me and my bf been trying for days nonstop in our playtime and it's just not happening ):! Would love you help with Kung <3
Peach
Realm: Bloodhoof-US (Horde)

Unread post by Peach »

Poearia wrote:Sent u a friend request Shoop - I rly need help with Kung ): Me and my bf been trying for days nonstop in our playtime and it's just not happening ):! Would love you help with Kung <3
He's out seeing a movie, but I could help! Add me, Peach#1816 is my battletag!
Wes1234
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Wes1234 »

Anyone on the Alliance side willing to help me with Kung Din? Can't do it tonight, as I have to hit the sack in 30 minutes (unless you're super fast to send an invitation), but I'll be on tomorrow afternoon.

BattleTag: Wes1234#1383.
Poearia
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank

Unread post by Poearia »

Peach - You are FABULOUS!

Last edited by Poearia on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ragnarök

OMG Peach go play those time stopping arcade games Im sure you will win.
Peach
Realm: Bloodhoof-US (Horde)

Unread post by Peach »

Ragnarök wrote:OMG Peach go play those time stopping arcade games Im sure you will win.
Stacker was always my favorite, but it's totally rigged D:<
Twila
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn, Silver Hand

Unread post by Twila »

It took me and my friend over 6 hours to sort out the timing. After that it became easier. We got the Oil wolf/hawk with in the next hour. :3

Amisha - lv 100 Tauren Hunter - Silver Hand:US - Pet Stable
Twilatsuki - lv 95 Night Elf Hunter - Argent Dawn:US - Pet Stable

Battle Pet Collection

Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Unread post by Qinni »

I'd like to thank Shoop and Peach for helping me get my pets. C:
Shoopdawhoop

If anyone wanted to know...
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Unread post by Qinni »

Now I need a crab with a beer bottle from swamp of sorrows.