PATCH 5.2 MODELS! [POTENTIAL PET COLORS!]

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Re: PATCH 5.2 MODELS! [POTENTIAL PET COLORS!]

Unread post by Zhinru »

Anyone else hopes Oondasta will be marked as tamable so once the next expansion hits and we overlevel him, we'll be able to get an armored boss devilsaur?
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Zhinru wrote:Anyone else hopes Oondasta will be marked as tamable so once the next expansion hits and we overlevel him, we'll be able to get an armored boss devilsaur?
Already checked; he's not. ;)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Kerlinna wrote:
I think her point is its one thing to call something a name when it looks almost nothing like it. The bats look like bats in the faces imo and thats it. I absolutely hate their current models because of their wings. The wings get to me if they were fixed I'd like them a lot more. I mean I'm on the boat of if you're gunna say it looks like a real animal or call it by a real animals name then make it look like that animal. I wouldnt want something called a Junglecat but looking like a wild dog. A gargoyle is quite another thing though as many different gargoyle types have been drawn and sculpted. I'm all for the mroe classic/gothic ones myself like you find perched on old buildings.

That being said I love the new blue devilsaur hes so pretty. I hope you can tame him and the white direhorn is gorgeous too.
Warcraft bat
Unfortunately im not sure what species of bat this is
Vampire bat
Long nosed bat

Looks like a bat with unique (though some strange like the webbed 'fingers' not being attatched to the hand) changes to set it apart from a real life creature to a fantasy creature based off RL to me.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Zhinru
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Zhinru »

Xakaal wrote:Warcraft bat
Vampire bat
Long nosed bat

Looks like a bat with unique (though some strange like the webbed 'fingers' not being attatched to the hand) changes to set it apart from a real life creature to a fantasy creature based off RL to me.
Comparing all those pictures, the WoW bat does look like a bat - just a species not seen in nature. Which also has a broken spine, but that's beside the point.

We can still dream about Oondasta, eh? Maybe in the future they'll flag him, maybe once we're in his level range.

EDIT: I just ate "dream" from that sentence, and I'm about to go to sleep. Not sure what to think of it...
Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

I really must say that I am excited to see if these skins end up tameable or not. That orange devilsaur with blue stripage in particular is just gorgeous, although really I find there's no skin here that I don't like in some way.
Curious as to the stone/gem "direhorns". I do hope that, should these actually be the tameable beasties we've been promised, those skins are available as pets as well.
Eeee, I'm so excited for more news on these guys! *dances about in spot*

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

I finally realized what it is about the new devilsaurs I didn't quite like...it's the jaw line. The old ones have a really extreme jaw/tooth line, and these ones don't seem to have it (could be the view tho, I need a straight up side view of one to be sure).
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Zhinru wrote:
Xakaal wrote:Warcraft bat
Vampire bat
Long nosed bat

Comparing all those pictures, the WoW bat does look like a bat - just a species not seen in nature. Which also has a broken spine, but that's beside the point.
Hehe, to me those just further say that WoW bats look very little like bats, other than in basic characteristics. Maybe its cause I've studied a hell of a lot of vertebrate biology and I notice details.
But I'm not saying a WoW bat has to be a carbon copy of a real bat. I would just like it to not be painful to look at. The best sci-fi/fantasy illustrations come from people who know both anatomy AND art. An animal or anthro that would biologically "work" makes for a more visually appealing, believable creation. The bats simply are a perfect example of bad anatomy. They don't "work" even as a fantasy bat. To me, the "changes" look like artistic errors, not elaborations.
We could also discuss the saber-toothed "little cats" The main reason the bother me is they lack the skeletal and muscular structure to support saber fangs. The larger saber cats, on the other hand, are built in a way that they could carry and use such large teeth. Do you see what I mean? They're the same era, same style. But one works and one doesn't. To me, anyway (Not trying to start a fight and apologies to those who love their bats and little cats. Its simply my opinion)
I'm all for fantasy animals. They're fun, they're novel. Fantasy and sci-fi are my favorite genres, hands down. One of my favorite sci-fi novels is Midworld by Alan Dean Foster because is it FULL of entirely new animals, plants, everything, with NO earthly analog. However, I do expect illustrations, be they a game, a bestiary or a novel cover, to display some knowledge of anatomy. To build castles in the sky, you need a foundation on the ground. This is why, when I write pet emotes for you guys, I need to get a feel for what the animal is, how it would behave, feed, communicate, etc. Granted, those are not illustrations, but they do provide mental images.

EDIT: My ranting about bats probably belongs in that new thread about 5.2 rants, cause its derailing the purpose of this thread >.>
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

lets stop complaining about the bat models in the game. if you keep complaining then blizzard should just remove bats as a hunter pet. this thread is about hype for potential new models for Devilsaurs and such. as of now no new bat info or models has been mentioned. start up a rant thread somewhere else! please!

on a lighter note ill be adding the new turtle boss's model to the list as well as all of the armored devilsaurs and dire horns. so get hyped ill have em up some time in the next few days.

one final note is that the 2 dragon turtles i have already listed seem to be heavily edited versions of the boss turtle's skin meant for the original dragon turtles so there is a strong chance they could be found on the isle of thunder as tamable turtles. unfortunately a lot of the new zones seem to lack all the intended content!

any more discussion of bat models and the bats of WoW in general will result in your post being deleted by a moderator. i am serious about keeping this topic from becoming heavily derailed!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

No more posts about anything but the topic.

It's ok for things to stray a bit off topic now and then, but if people descend into drama and emotional recriminations then it stops. Take it to PMs.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

It's a blue devilsaur! It's a dang BLUE devilsaur! My life is now complete! AGHGHSGHdh-gfh-
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

While the new Devilsaur skins are simply awesome, while looking at the black devilsaur on model viewer, anyone notice the large nostrils compared to the older skins?
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: N/A

Unread post by Crotalus Horridus »

PorrasouxRex wrote:While the new Devilsaur skins are simply awesome, while looking at the black devilsaur on model viewer, anyone notice the large nostrils compared to the older skins?
I find the nostrils on this model to be more realistic compared to the old model, as the old one used to have simple black lines on a flat snout, and not this relatively more rounded snout with larger, more circular nostrils.

Besides that, what irks me about the model is space between the eyes, horns and the snout. If you don't see it, it starts at the horns and eyes, goes downwards, and then goes back up and makes the snout look more like a weird hump. Because of it, it reminds me of a certain fictional dinosaur that starts with a V.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with Vastatosaurus Rex, however dinosaur they're supposed to be based off of is Tyrannosaurus Rex.
Loki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Loki »

Crotalus Horridus wrote:
PorrasouxRex wrote:While the new Devilsaur skins are simply awesome, while looking at the black devilsaur on model viewer, anyone notice the large nostrils compared to the older skins?
I find the nostrils on this model to be more realistic compared to the old model, as the old one used to have simple black lines on a flat snout, and not this relatively more rounded snout with larger, more circular nostrils.

Besides that, what irks me about the model is space between the eyes, horns and the snout. If you don't see it, it starts at the horns and eyes, goes downwards, and then goes back up and makes the snout look more like a weird hump. Because of it, it reminds me of a certain fictional dinosaur that starts with a V.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with Vastatosaurus Rex, however dinosaur they're supposed to be based off of is Tyrannosaurus Rex.
It doesn't really matter how realistic they look. This is a fantasy game, and as long as they evoke a dinosaur feel that's enough. A real-life yak doesn't have four horns, a real-life zebra doesn't have a horn at all, a real-life giraffe doesn't have antelope horns, a real-life bat looks a lot less monstrous, etc, but for me they just add to the charm and fantastical feeling of the game.

Avatar made by the awesome LupisDarkmoon. Tameable giraffes please!

Pets Wishlist:
Goats
Yaks
Shoveltusks
Stags
Talbuks/Gazelles
Giraffes!

WoD and Legion best expansions! 6 down, 1 to go!

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Loki wrote:It doesn't really matter how realistic they look. This is a fantasy game, and as long as they evoke a dinosaur feel that's enough. A real-life yak doesn't have four horns, a real-life zebra doesn't have a horn at all, a real-life giraffe doesn't have antelope horns, a real-life bat looks a lot less monstrous, etc, but for me they just add to the charm and fantastical feeling of the game.
This. >___>

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Loki wrote:It doesn't really matter how realistic they look. This is a fantasy game, and as long as they evoke a dinosaur feel that's enough. A real-life yak doesn't have four horns, a real-life zebra doesn't have a horn at all, a real-life giraffe doesn't have antelope horns, a real-life bat looks a lot less monstrous, etc, but for me they just add to the charm and fantastical feeling of the game.
Yes yes, I know some things aren't supposed to be extremely realistic and that this is a fantasy game. I also like the fantasy theme of many of the things in the game such as birds with no visible skin and organs and instead are engulfed in fire and living animals made of minerals.

I find with animals that I hold dearly (Devilsaurs) that I wish for them to look more realistic if they're representing another animal I also hold dearly (Dinosaurs). However, depending on the model, these nitpicks can be so insignificant that I usually forget about the problem after a while of being with the model out in the game or simply accepting it. If I ever do something like this again, just remember that it's probably me just being me.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Not to mention how can you say something based on an extinct creature that all we have to go on is bones isn't realistic?

You have no clue how dinosaurs looked. All you have are images people imagined using the bones. Who's to say they didn't have parts of their body made of something that degrades over time rather than bone, etc.?

Anyway, can you explain what you meant by the dragon turtles were heavily edited versions of the boss turtle? That was a bit confusing. xD
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

they have a very similar color scheme to the new dragon turtle boss being featured in the throne of thunder raid but the skin is not the exact same skin for that model put on the normal dragon turtles its edited to omit the glowing shell and adds in the fins and normal shell sections of the older models.

Also i get the feeling from the isle of giants that if devilsaurs are to be found there than there may only be 4-5 up at a time and they may randomly pick which color spawns similar to how devilsaurs in Un'goro spawn. which i actually would not mind at all :)
RETURN OF THE NINJASAURS!
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Myzou wrote:Not to mention how can you say something based on an extinct creature that all we have to go on is bones isn't realistic?

You have no clue how dinosaurs looked. All you have are images people imagined using the bones. Who's to say they didn't have parts of their body made of something that degrades over time rather than bone, etc.?
I have no clue how they looked and only have images people imaged using bones?

Despite knowing things having such things such as fossilized feathers with color still in them, fossilized organs, fossilized skin with color, fossilized skin without colors but still showing that the animal had quill-like structures, carbon copies with the animal almost completely intact, and also mapping their behaviors simply by studying their fossils and how they work. . . we don't really know how they looked like. I'll give you that.

However, I'll you that the bones on reptiles USUALLY (Emphasis on that) reflect what their complete bodies will look like. A dinosaur with a hump on it's head will have a mounding structure in it's skull that forms the base for the hump, a dinosaur with two crests on the top of it's head will have those as the base for the skin on the crests, and so forth.

Looking at the skull of a Tyrannosaurus Rex, there is no bone structure on the end of the snout that shows that it had any sort of large ''hump''. If anything, most people would be almost positive that Tyrannosaurus Rex did not have a fleshy hump on the end of it's snout. Another thing to note, seeing as Dinosaurs were pretty close, but not entirely, on the margin of being like a bird. And assuming that if Tyrannosaurus Rex had this weird hump on it's nose, what purpose did it serve? If it was brightly colored and for mating, then they would stick out like a sore thumb when trying to ambush prey or when they're hiding while being hunted by other Tyrannosaurs (They were cannibals, you know.) The only logical thing for them to attract a mate is either by random chance, a mating call (Used by many animals today), or a specific season that makes their camouflaging feathers shed and newer, brighter feathers come into play.

Now, could we please get this thread back on topic?
Zangor wrote:they have a very similar color scheme to the new dragon turtle boss being featured in the throne of thunder raid but the skin is not the exact same skin for that model put on the normal dragon turtles its edited to omit the glowing shell and adds in the fins and normal shell sections of the older models.

Also i get the feeling from the isle of giants that if devilsaurs are to be found there than there may only be 4-5 up at a time and they may randomly pick which color spawns similar to how devilsaurs in Un'goro spawn. which i actually would not mind at all :)
Oh lord. I remember killing raptors in Un'goro and then having an Ironhide Devilsaur instantly kill me. Oh yeah, and this.
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I hope the stone ones aren't elementals. I loveeeeee the red and the white direhorn!
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Zangor wrote:Also i get the feeling from the isle of giants that if devilsaurs are to be found there than there may only be 4-5 up at a time and they may randomly pick which color spawns similar to how devilsaurs in Un'goro spawn. which i actually would not mind at all :)
Considering that nothing's up on the isle yet (aside from Oondasta), this is entirely possible. >_<

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!